General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.
View Poll Results: Save the PT Cruiser?
yes I signed the PT Cruiser petition
24.49%
no I won't sign
75.51%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Should I save the PT cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kingfrog
I won't sign because I like the idea of having a car many don't have and will not be able to get.

Am I alone in hoping the HHR is indeed redesigned without the retro? Then we will really have "different" looking vehicles. I don't like the car because it is the flavor of the moment in retro. I like it because of what it is period. I would prefer to have the only one in the world LOL.
I'm with you Kingfrog. Kill'm both off tomorrow. I've got mine. In fact IF that were to happen, I'd probably run out and grab up another HHR and store it for a real collectors car
You snooze - you loose
Old 09-07-2007, 12:57 AM

the petitions, calls, letters, and all that didnt save the camaro, course now we find out its because of issues dealing with the plant as to why it was axed (they agreed to always make the camaros at that plant....blah blah blah) yea they are bringing them back finally but camaro is like mustang without it you dont have your full line up. and it had what alomst 40 years of name loyalty, where as the pt cruiser is just a fancy skinned base model car, kinda like a corolla in a pretty dress.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Banned

I mean really how long can they build a "retro" car?

How do you "update" it? You can't because the car sold based on the retro design. If you modernize it you get an "everycar"

Yet at some point everyone who wants one will have one and the market will become saturated. New car sales will tail off and they will stop making them.

Most odd looking "love em/hate em" cars have a short shelf life.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:38 AM

Why would anyone expect a petition to work for a car? Cars survive on sales and just because someone signs a petition does not mean they will buy one. No car manufacturer in the right collective mind would keep producing a car based on a petition.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:47 AM

That's how the VW new beetle came about. Show the concept, and enough people wrote in saying they want it. Same for the mustang. people said they wanted it and it stayed. Just didn't work out for the camaro.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by stick
That's how the VW new beetle came about. Show the concept, and enough people wrote in saying they want it. Same for the mustang. people said they wanted it and it stayed. Just didn't work out for the camaro.
I can see it for a concept as a way to measure sales potential. But for an existing vehicle I am skeptical.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:08 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by stick
Luckily there was such an out cry and the Mustang stayed around and kept it's design. The Probe was to be it's replacement!!
Old 09-07-2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jx3
Luckily there was such an out cry and the Mustang stayed around and kept it's design. The Probe was to be it's replacement!!
But the probe was such a fine car.....OK I couldn't write that without laughing
Old 09-07-2007, 03:07 PM

Eventually they all go away. Much quicker as of late.Look at how fast models designs and names change in the last ten years compared to 20-25 years ago.Cars today are more or less that flavor of the day. Not many seem to stay around more than 3-5 years or at least retain their original design. Technology and lets call them fades in body style change year to year any more in our faster paced lifstyle. Its now much easier to roll a whole new design out compared to the retooling it took in the past.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by nfboy
No car manufacturer in the right collective mind would keep producing a car based on a petition.
Think of the petition as a free focus group.

Quick Reply: Should I save the PT cruiser