General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Show us your rack!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 02:19 PM

Show us your rack!

Show us your rack - bike rack that is. I am looking for a way to haul my bike but can't decide on which type. I do not have a factory roof rack. Post 'em if you got 'em.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:30 PM

I have a Saris Bones II. I haven't had a chance to see if it works on the HHR yet, since it was originally purchased for the old Malibu, but the box says it works for hatchbacks and shows a pic on a minivan.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:03 PM

Are you a former Malibu Maxx owner too?
Old 03-11-2007, 09:05 AM

The best rack I've used on the HHR is my Graber, and as long as you have a hitch receiver, you can use one as well, it holds up to four bikes. I have a strap-down one, but it played hell with Stitch I's paint and actually lifted a line of it off of the tailgate between the rear wiper and the beauty bar. Once I get my hitch put back on, I'll get you some pictures.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:01 AM

No, wasn't a fan of the way the Maxx looked. Just a plain old regular LS model. After many trips to the shop I wasn't a fan of any Malibu. I've never owned a car that had so many problems as that one.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:18 AM

I am not a big fan of trunk hitch mounted racks but some do have a "tilt" feature to let you access your trunk with bikes still attached.

I just picked up my hhr LS, i had the dealer install, the rails.
this way if anything goes wrong it's under warranty.Yakima and thule are what i would consider two of the best and most expandable racks available.
i am going to get the towers ($200 CDN) and cross rails($80)
from Thule. at this time yakima does not have anything for the hhr.but i am sure they will soon.

i had a yak on my last ride,a tiburon, and was able to carry two bikes and a kayak. also two kayaks and one bike once also. when i get everthing set up i will post pics.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:24 AM

Bike Rack

I've used a Thule receiver bike rack and Thule 2-kayak roof rack and both worked great but were very heavy. If your HHR is loaded with luggage and passengers, you don't have a lot of weight capacity left. These photos are what I use now. I only transported the bicycle once 300 miles to my son's college. I didn't see any damage but I really don't have any other options. The back of the HHR was filled with his clothes, furniture items, and computer. I do plan to buy the cross bars for my roof rack and the foam pads fit right on them. They also sell kayak saddles that slide on the crossbars and limit the weight up there.
Attached Images   
Old 03-12-2007, 08:03 AM

I use either a 60" Hitch haul or if more room is needed, a featherlight 4'x6' tilt trailer.

I have never liked roof racks.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the input folks. I am leaning more towards a hitch mount at this time. I would like a roof mount but I have a dominant clumsy gene and will inevitably damage the HHR and/or injure myself while loading and unloading.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:09 PM

I have the following:

Hard to find this style, what I like:
It is a hitch mount, keeps bikes out of wind, so no adverse effect to MPG.
Easy to load.
Stable mounts, meaning fork mount.
Bikes do not rub against each other, like the others, where you have to hang through frame.
Was reasonable cost wise, in the scheme of quality racks!

Down-Falls:
Not sure if they make them, anymore.
Heard Thule or Yakima, quit making b/c of bikes falling off!!!
Front wheels go inside.

I keep a close eye on the fork mounts and re-tighten all hardware routinely, in order to ensure bike's safety, HA!!!

All in all I like this style. I found mine on Ebay, year or so, ago!!!

Good Luck!!!

Quick Reply: Show us your rack!