General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Show us your rack!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by the_dogs-bollocks
I am not a big fan of trunk hitch mounted racks but some do have a "tilt" feature to let you access your trunk with bikes still attached.

I just picked up my hhr LS, i had the dealer install, the rails.
this way if anything goes wrong it's under warranty.Yakima and thule are what i would consider two of the best and most expandable racks available.
i am going to get the towers ($200 CDN) and cross rails($80)
from Thule. at this time yakima does not have anything for the hhr.but i am sure they will soon.

i had a yak on my last ride,a tiburon, and was able to carry two bikes and a kayak. also two kayaks and one bike once also. when i get everthing set up i will post pics.

It all depends on how far you plan to travel with them. I drive about 5 miles to access a bay with the kayak on my HHR. I've taken two of them on my minivan down to South Florida, 570 miles away. I had few problems after I learned to turn the kayaks upside on long trips. But I did almost lose one off the side last summer while travel in 50 mph crosswinds. I'm not sure I'll ever put two kayaks on top the HHR.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:21 PM

Hey, Sandy, did you use a bow and stern line down to your bumper? I do if i am going more than a few kms...

my kayak carrier looks like an elongated "U" only flipped upside down, there are 2 of them, the kayaks are carried on edge with the ****pit facing out , i feel this to be a very stable setup, plus i use good quality tie downs . i plan on doing an icebreaker race in a few weeks, i will take some pics in an out of the half frozen river :)
last summer i saw a car with a kayak on top, about a 15 footer, he had the cross rails, about 2 ft apart , no pillow blocks ,just tied at the bow and stern. picture if you will a bright yellow 15 ft banana on your roof,. it was completly fubared.

I cant believe they censored ****pit
Old 03-15-2007, 07:08 PM

No, I don't tie it down in the front or the back because I don't want to damage the paint on either the HHR or my minivan. I also was afraid that the kayak handles I'd strap it to weren't strong enough. My kayak is contoured enough that you can put the straps in spots where it's getting thinner. This seems to keep it from moving front to back. The Thule rack I used on the minivan had rubber saddles that really held onto the plastic and wouldn't let the kayak move much. That's why we were so amazed when that gust of wind moved it sideways.

Good luck in that race! I prefer the outside temp at least 80 and the water temp at least 70 when I go kayaking. An "Icebreaker" is just not my style.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:35 PM

I just got some more info today from rack attack, (I think you have them in the US) apparently a yakima lowrider tower set will fit on the HHR's factory rails.The yakima website will not show this as an option . this is good news to me because all my accessories are yakima.
also got my second mod done thusday, tinted the driver and passenger windows!the first was white fuzzy dice.sound system next!

ARRG go figure, it just started snowing....guess i am skiing saturday instead of car detailing...
Old 09-02-2011, 10:11 AM

Bollocks, Did you ever purchase the Low Rider rack, and if so how did it work out for you?
Old 09-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

Bollocks hasn't been on this site since Jan. of 2009.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:18 AM

Does any one know if that rack works? Did he buy one? I've been skimming his old posts but cannot find a definitive answer.