General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Small Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:50 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by nortsr
I am mainly concerned as I live in Florida and (due to the fact I am handicapped) cannot wash my own HHR, but have to go to the car wash.
Although I've never run my HHR through a car wash, and have also replaced the fishing pole w/ a 4 piece adjustable antenna.........

This is a direct quote from the manual............

Fixed Mast Antenna
This type of antenna is called a fixed mast antenna.
It is mounted at the center of the roof, just behind the
windshield.
The mast antenna can withstand most car washes
without being damaged.
If the mast should ever become
slightly bent, straighten it out by hand. If the mast is
badly bent, replace it.
Check occasionally to make sure the mast is still
tightened to the roof. If tightening is required, tighten
by hand.
If you are putting a protective cover over the vehicle,
remove the mast by hand.
As have stated before, w/ my new aftermarket antenna, no loss of reception on the FM band.

Here's a link to see a pic of my fully erect stubby.....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...freshpics3.JPG
Old 09-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sno White
Wow! A vendor that tells the truth. Yes, the HHR AM/FM antenna is amplified - most vendors would not know that.
I was surprised as well.. Even tho I just learned the oem IS amplified myself.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member

Well, for now I just very carefully bent my (amplified) fishing pole down to follow the roof line, aiming toward back.. Least it now follows the lines & looks much better imo...
And still works Great !

I live in the country & don't want to loose any % of reception..

I will try my OLs' Avenger SXT rubber oem stubby & see how that works sometime soon..For a comparison.

But for now I'm on to the next obsession... Let's see, bow-ties &/or caliper/drum painting ??
Old 09-06-2009, 05:53 AM

Thanks for the pic. Just the info I was hopeing for.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:20 PM

The FM wavelength is anywhere from 9' to 12', depending upon the specific frequency. The antenna should be about 95% of the free-space value. But because it must operate over the entire FM band, the exact length isn't 100% critical. Most short antennas that come equipped on stock vehicles today consist of the folded-dipole variety in order to achieve a equivalent length in the proper range. Therefore, for FM reception, a "stubby" antenna would require an extreme amount of windings along with some pretty advanced tuning in order to achieve the equivalent reception of the stock unit. I wouldn't think that a stubby would ever recepive the reception that the standard unit can, otherwise we would see them equipped on vehicles from the factory. It's really a tradeoff.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 87silver
The FM wavelength is anywhere from 9' to 12', depending upon the specific frequency. The antenna should be about 95% of the free-space value. But because it must operate over the entire FM band, the exact length isn't 100% critical. Most short antennas that come equipped on stock vehicles today consist of the folded-dipole variety in order to achieve a equivalent length in the proper range. Therefore, for FM reception, a "stubby" antenna would require an extreme amount of windings along with some pretty advanced tuning in order to achieve the equivalent reception of the stock unit. I wouldn't think that a stubby would ever recepive the reception that the standard unit can, otherwise we would see them equipped on vehicles from the factory. It's really a tradeoff.
That's Deep..I have to agree with you..& I don't want to trade off..I enjoy music too much..

Now the more I look at my oem (now bent over) antenna.. Following the roof line.
I really like the look.. I've not seen this on another HHR done to the oem mast..

Looks kinda wind-blown from ALL the Power... lol

& My reception is still Excellent. & that says a lot for up around here in the hills & valleys ..
Old 09-07-2009, 09:20 PM

dont you all have xm and/or ipods in your car? no listening to the local commercials or djs. lol just kidding, but I dont really listen to the local stuff and care more about the looks then performance of my stubby