General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Smoke Rims Gone to Hell

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by AJochum
Well, got the approval for replacement of my smoked chrome wheels today. Service manager remarked that they may be remanufactured wheels - we shall see. Don't think I'm going to drive these next winter - am sure the salt/grime has something to do with it. Am even tempted to go with another brand or 18s.
Andy, my high polished chrome wheels on my '07 2LT are starting to show spots where the clear coat has chipped and good old fashion oxidation has started.
I'm at 26000 mi and almost 24 months.
I know the dealer is gona say it's the weather conditions here.
I might bring it up at my next visit just to see what they say.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:53 PM

No - Don't wait! Go for it. If the clear-coat is coming off, they should warranty it. All of mine were starting to go. The dealer got me a little upset, asking me where I bought the car (as if that had anything to do with it). He told me that they only cover about one in five, but they covered it.

I hate to go with winter wheels, but think that's my best option to keep these nice.

Any get-togethers scheduled?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:46 PM

Hi. Well I have to admit I got my HHR exactly a year ago and as fall approached I told my finacee I was going to get winter rims and tires because I did not want the factory chrome ones to get screwed up because of the salt. My winter rims are not as sharp looking as my the chrome ones are but when I put them back on last weekend I had to smile at how nice they were. Plus I enjoyed the comfort of knowing I had Blitzek? winter tires on. Sorry to say for those of us who drive our HHR all year around in the great northeast a second set of wheels is the only way to go. John
Old 04-14-2009, 07:57 PM

I bought one with steelies on it, then bought the alloys later...
I'm not that trusting about the coating on any alloy wheels, I was surprised that the wheels on my 9 year old Dodge were still like new after 9 Buffalo winters, when friends with later vehicles were peeling and corroding. Maybe it's just my obsessive waxing that helps seal the surface?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by AJochum
No - Don't wait! Go for it. If the clear-coat is coming off, they should warranty it. All of mine were starting to go. The dealer got me a little upset, asking me where I bought the car (as if that had anything to do with it). He told me that they only cover about one in five, but they covered it.

I hate to go with winter wheels, but think that's my best option to keep these nice.

Any get-togethers scheduled?
Andy, not aware of any GTG scheduled, but I'm sure someone will get something going. Keep watching........