General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

So why did I buy an HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:21 PM

So why did I buy an HHR?

If you've been following some of my threads, you know I love the looks.

I rented one for a week and loved the way it drove.

So why would I trade in a 2007 Honda Accord (and it drives like a dream) for an HHR?

After an hour in the Accord, my lower back would be in great pain. And I had the top of the line Honda leather seats too.

Today, after 1 and a half hours sitting on the leather HHR seats, NO PAIN. In fact, I felt great. The leather seats are very comfortable. THAT is one of the major reasons I bought the HHR.

Now this Thursday, the dealership will address two problems: Brakes (vibration when I brake) and the rattling sound from the back of the sun roof. (I've read the thread on the velcro, et al.)

So although Car 11 has only been on the road 3+ days, it has a few things to address, BUT I can live with it. The selling dealer is going to meet me 3/4 of the way to my home so I don't have to drive 49 miles, and give me a loaner car while they address the brakes and rattle. Let's see if they come through with the fixes.

Sorry to be so lengthy. Hope I didn't bore you all too much.

Peace,
Old 12-17-2007, 09:20 PM

Good luck on the dealer fixes!...Enjoy the new HHR.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:17 PM

Main reason for my HHR... mostly gas mileage. I had a 2006 TrailBlazer EXT which I got rid of for the HHR. We did a 3,500 mile road trip this summer and it nearly cost us ~$600 in gas. I also found myself driving to work more than I expected to and working longer hours so I could not ride with my partner. At 13.5 MPG city, it was eatting me alive. Granted, I expected fairly poor mileage out of it, but it gets harder to justify the mileage when you put in $60 - $70 in gas when you only drove about 350 miles city miles. However, I did like that I could drive from Des Moines Iowa to home in North Central Indiana on one tank.

So we went to the dealer with a large suitcase and two dog kennels, and tried them in the HHR. To my surprise, they fit (I mean that just fit and that was it) so we bought it. We both like it 10 times better than the Trailblazer.

Jared
Old 12-18-2007, 06:32 AM

My sun roof had a rattle in it too. Minor adjustment, no more rattle, free from dealer. Had my rotors turned because of vibration at around 5000 kms. Now at 13,000 kms and vibration is back, not as bad though. I am going to give up on this one though and just by a set of slotted rotors and replace them. I hate kicking dead horses, and from what I've read on these forums, the stock rotors just suck.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by JimDaddyo
My sun roof had a rattle in it too. Minor adjustment, no more rattle, free from dealer. Had my rotors turned because of vibration at around 5000 kms. Now at 13,000 kms and vibration is back, not as bad though. I am going to give up on this one though and just by a set of slotted rotors and replace them. I hate kicking dead horses, and from what I've read on these forums, the stock rotors just suck.
Do you know what the adjustment was for the rattle?
Old 12-18-2007, 10:54 PM

my reason? mod potential, even though w/ it being cold outside the only thing getting modded right now is my spare room w/ all the parts and crap i have ordered for it!
Old 12-19-2007, 06:42 AM

Good luck with getting those problems fixed. I've had both problems and it's been in for repair. Both problems are already back. 16,000 miles, it shouldn't have problems. Plus the windshield is pitted like I've driven 100,000 miles in a sand storm and the poor paint repair the dealer did on the bumper is messing up. Guess I'm a little frustrated with GM and the dealers lack of concern to fix things. Wifes Equinox just had a 2 week service stay to fix it shutting off while driving. Dealer said they don't know what the problem was so they replaced the computer. It has 40,000 miles. Other than that the HHR has been a good car.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:19 AM

We bought our HHR for gas mileage, looks, and the room it gives us. We love camping and the HHR did great in the area it provided for camping gear.

We did have problems right away on our first trip and had it in the shop as soon as we got to Montana last summer, for over a week. It got a new camshaft and they did some kind of valve work, but we got it back making the exact same racket we took it in for. They told us to drive it home and let the folks at Chevy in Phoenix worry about it, we did and they had it here at Midway Chevrolet for over three weeks but the problem seems to be fixed. We do have a noise which sounds like liquid sloshing around in the area under the windshield wipers..........no clue what that could be.

Second problem was that our AC would kick off and heater would kick on and when it did, there was nothing we could do to turn the heat off. Not a good thing when you live in AZ. Heater + AZ heat........nope, not a good thing. Well we took it in over and over and they said if it was NOT doing it when we took it in they could not fix it. This week we finally managed to get it in to the shop while it was having the heat problem! Yea! They fixed it! We hope!

Other than that, we love our little HHR it's great. It's also so easy to get in and out of, which is great for folks with arthritis. We loved our Saturn, never gave us a problem, but getting in and out was hard on our knees and back, and the design of the seats was murder on our spine. HHR is great for comfort for us.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:17 PM

We will use the HHR as a “toad” towing it behind our motorhome.

We really liked our Sunfire and it worked very well as a “toad” and tows four wheels down very well behind our motorhome. Our Sunfire has the 2.2 L engine and is very responsive and is a peppy little car.

We like the height of the seats off the floor and it is easy to get in and get out of the HHR, not like the Sunfire that is so low you have to fall into it and climb out of. As we get older comfort and ease of operation is important.

Pat’s neck surgery Anterior Cervical Discectomy with Fusion, at level C5, C6 and C7 “ACDF” with titanium plate and 6 screws. Prompted me to purchase the new KONI shocks for the motorhome and the new “toad” Chevrolet HHR, better ride, ease of access getting in and out (the Sunfire was getting more difficult you had to fall into it and climb out). She is 10 weeks post op and wears the neck brace just when we are out driving just for protection in case of quick stop or accident. With her increased sensitivity she thought the ride of the motorhome was great, very much improved from the old ride. And she loves the HHR.

Pat really-really liked the Chevy HHR ever since the first time she saw it in 2006.

Our other vehicle is a 2001 GMC Yukon XL.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:57 AM

Reason to buy the HHR? I actually leased a new G6 with the 2.2L on December 5, 2007 (they were giving 'em away!). Then, on January 11, I was car number 6 of a 7-car pilup on the interstate near my home. G6 Totaled!

Fearful that I was gonna get, um, screwed financially because it was a lease, I began looking for something a little cheaper. I tell you, if I had driven the HHR prior to the G6, I'd have bought it in the first place. MWG2, you're right - most comfortable seating position I've ever had in a small car. Plus, only 50 bucks more a month (and I bought versus leased).

I slapped some Eagle 5-spoke TTII look-alikes on it, and it even looks cool.