General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

So why did I buy an HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:14 PM

I got mine because of 2 main reasons.
I love the looks.
And the acoustic properties., its built strong to hold high sound pressure. It has the room for extra batteries, amps, and subs. And the interior shape really allows me to direct the wave to the dash very well.

With the same system in any other car, I have at least a 2 dB advantage.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:49 PM

Glad to see someone ditched their Accord :)

I can't stand Hondas. $30k for a CRV, when the HHR will do the job for about $10K less (and includes a free year on OnStar - something Honda can't do).

Okay, my rant is over...
Old 02-05-2008, 01:08 PM

why did I buy my HHR?
remember...you asked:

1)price(bang for buck)
2)looks
3)road manners
4)fuel economy
5)I have always liked "unique vehicles"
6)aftermarket support
7)interior capacity/lay-out options
8)brilliant powertrain (engine performance/design)
9)fun factor
10)that "buzz" it gives me when I look at it.

You see, I had a car that was designed with one thing in mind-ultimate luxury in a performance package. resale fell through the floor, so I was able to pick one up pretty cheap. I drove it for 4 years...I spent a few bucks ficxng this and that, but the car had served its purpose...for me. It was time for something new, more economical, that possessed all the thrills listed above. But the cost of gas, and my commute was starting to draw resentment towards my big V8 hot rod Lincoln(Mark VIII)

I was never a FWD fan...I loved high horsepower RWD cars that could be custom tuned to my handling priorities...

I was not looking for a HHR. I was going to buy something completely different...a 2 seater convertible....with a hardtop option...a MazdaSpeed Miata. turbo charged 1.8 liter rocket ship that handled like a go cart, and had the drop-top thrills....

I couldnt find one...in a price I was willing to pay.

I accidentally stumbled upon a Orange 07 LS HHR....I saw the price...
WHAT THE....?
I thought they were ALOT more...once I saw how cheap they were, i started searching....

and I found my HHR...I knew I HAD to have a 2LT...I wanted it all....

and I have it.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:42 PM

For me ,

it was cheap ,
great stereo ,
good power ,
handles better then expected,
fuel eco. is pretty good,
can haul my motorcycles,
dosen't look horrendous
pretty low key
did I mention it was CHEAP
Old 02-05-2008, 02:13 PM

PhoS,

Do you tow your motorcycles? If so, what type and what trailer setup do you have to tow them with your HHR?

Now, my reasons for purchase:

The HHR was originally purchased for my wife. It was chosen because:

1. We needed something that could haul more stuff... basically we needed a wagon
2. My wife hated the styling on most wagons, but not the HHR
3. Fuel economy is good.
4. We could get it optioned the way we wanted and afford it.
5. GM topped off my earnings at the time so we got a good deal.
6. It was an American brand (I know it's built in Mexico but the brand was more important to my wife)

Now, it became mine because we decided we would like a slightly larger vehicle as well, so we bought the Ford Freestyle. I traded in my Honda Accord, because it was a manual trans and my wife wouldn't drive it. It was a PITA whenever one of our cars went in for service. Also, I prefer wagon-style vehicles for their versatility so it was an easy choice which one to trade in. I miss the silky-smooth motor and spaciousness in the front seat in the Accord, but love the versatility in the HHR. Now if I could get everything fixed and not have any more problems for awhile, I'd really be happy.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
I had a car that was designed with one thing in mind-ultimate luxury in a performance package. resale fell through the floor
That happened to me, only I was the one who lost the initial $$$. Some lucky stiff is now enjoying my $20k 1st year depreciation

Another good reason for an HHR - low depreciation.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by pitbull76
PhoS,

Do you tow your motorcycles? If so, what type and what trailer setup do you have to tow them with your HHR?
See bottom of this thread.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=12761&page=2
Old 02-05-2008, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bob&Pat
We will use the HHR as a “toad” towing it behind our motorhome.

We really liked our Sunfire and it worked very well as a “toad” and tows four wheels down very well behind our motorhome. Our Sunfire has the 2.2 L engine and is very responsive and is a peppy little car.

We like the height of the seats off the floor and it is easy to get in and get out of the HHR, not like the Sunfire that is so low you have to fall into it and climb out of. As we get older comfort and ease of operation is important.

Pat’s neck surgery Anterior Cervical Discectomy with Fusion, at level C5, C6 and C7 “ACDF” with titanium plate and 6 screws. Prompted me to purchase the new KONI shocks for the motorhome and the new “toad” Chevrolet HHR, better ride, ease of access getting in and out (the Sunfire was getting more difficult you had to fall into it and climb out). She is 10 weeks post op and wears the neck brace just when we are out driving just for protection in case of quick stop or accident. With her increased sensitivity she thought the ride of the motorhome was great, very much improved from the old ride. And she loves the HHR.

Pat really-really liked the Chevy HHR ever since the first time she saw it in 2006.

Our other vehicle is a 2001 GMC Yukon XL.

Saw a motor home towing a vehicle once, the vehicle being towed had a sticker on it, I am puching this thing as fast as I can

Now for my reason, my mini van, after putting 285,000 on it was getting 9.5 to 10 mpg. Figure time for a new one, cost of a decent used one rediculous, a new on, out of my reach. the HHR, cool retro looks, fun to mod, and nice price range with nice standard equiptment.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:13 AM

my wife and i had a 98 infinity qx4. was becoming a money pit. based on our credit we were trying for a mazda mp5, used of course. bank said too many miles needed somthing with less miles ( so they said ). that was my opportunity to get on the hhr that i had seen one night coming home from work. the sales man looked at me cus im the one who sold the car.......to my WIFE!!! i wanted somthing different. mod somthing that i knew not everyone was going to have, at least locally.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:58 AM

I bought mine because it was time to replace my 98 Dakota 4X4 with 160k on it. It was starting to cost me, and breaking down a couple of times (heater hose and 1 month later water pump, both were replaced about a year prior!) on the way to work at 3am is not conducive to a happy camper. Besides the fact the trans was starting to leak from between the trans and transfer case when parked on a hill, manifold bolts had "popped" off, 2 on EACH side. (there are only 3) and a few other things I have forgotten, but you get the picture.

Anyways, I saw the HHR on the road, saw it on TV, started looking on the web and was surprised as to how cheap they were for the features and options that came on them. Going from a truck to a sedan just did not set well with me but I did need something that got better fuel economy. I LOVE how easy it is to get in and out of the HHR!, just like a truck! And being a truck owner I wanted something that I could go to Home Depot and load it up with "stuff" and bring it home without strapping it to the roof or having it hang out the windows.

So far so good, O.K., I only have 4k on it to date but I love it, love the 6 speaker Premium sound, burnt a MP3 with some 87 tracks on it so I am grooving down the road!