General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Sound deadening road noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:39 PM

Question Sound deadening road noise

Does anyone know of any place that has sound deadening kits for our HHR's.
Finally got it riding pretty good again, after changing to quick struts and now rear shocks also.
Now if I could make the road noise much less, I could be a happy camper again here. Probably in a coule of weeks, I will be getting snow tires off. Back to the chrome wheels and Michelins back on again. I'm sure that will help some here.
Am leaving here shortly for the week-end, but will get back on sometime next week here again.
I just happened a short time agao to see that they make like a whole sound deadening kits for Corvette's. As our wonderful Minnesota roads have my
2002 Vette riding a little rough also. I put Michelins on that last summer and I could safely say they took away 50-60% of the road noise.
I was hoping the HHR would do that with tires, but didn't quite make the same difference as on the "Vette".
Thanks for any answers!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:48 PM

I'm running Michelin Hydro Edges, much less road noise than when the original Firestones were on it. Having said that, though, I'm told by my wife, when she occasionally rides in the back seat with 'guest riders', there is a lot more road noise in back, then in the front of the HHR. It would be nice, if there was a way to quiet some of it, but I'm doubious much can be done.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:50 PM

I've completely removed my interior and Fatmated the whole interior minus under the headliner, huge difference in sound quality in both music and road noise, took approx. 200 sf of material but will worth it, took my time and made sure all rattle points were covered. Fatmat is alot less in price then dynamat and does the same job.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rainman
I've completely removed my interior and Fatmated the whole interior minus under the headliner, huge difference in sound quality in both music and road noise, took approx. 200 sf of material but will worth it, took my time and made sure all rattle points were covered. Fatmat is alot less in price then dynamat and does the same job.
Why not under the headliner ?

Old 03-25-2011, 10:26 PM

Lazy not sure it's needed anyway, other then for heat issues and where I live 70 is hot
Old 03-25-2011, 10:39 PM

My headliner is so noisy it will be the first thing i do .

Old 03-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Deceased

I'm not sure of the weight of the material that Rainman used, but Dynamat weighs in the neighborhood of .45 pounds per square foot. I wouldn't do the headliner just because of the added weight up high, that's exactly the opposite of what you would want to do while preserving your handling, its best to keep the added weight(if any)down low.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:58 PM

If you had my headliner , You would be incorrect Sir .
Old 03-25-2011, 11:55 PM

I used 50 mil in the back up to the area under the cargo bins and 80 mil for the area from the fire wall back to the cargo bin and in the foot areas I doubled up, total weight added approxamently 90lbs, didn't do the headliner because I don't think its needed
Old 04-03-2011, 07:52 PM

Talking

I just turn up the radio. It eliminates most other noise.

Quick Reply: Sound deadening road noise