General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Spots on Glass

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 02:23 PM

i have a very hard time getting my glass clean from spots and filmy looking stuff. here in vegas, we can only wash our cars at car washes. its againt the law to wash our cars in our driveways or yards. the city claims it is using to much water. but ofcourse, we have 25,000 more rooms to open by the end of 2010! the water here is full of crap and junk.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Ern

Originally Posted by TkHHR
I have the coolest thing called a waterblade. It is about 18" wide and has a super soft silicone squeegee blade that collects the water and slides it off the car without streaks or scratches. I start with the windows to prevent spots and then wipe the water off from the top down. I follow up with a microfiber towel to catch any stray drops. This system works for me. Also Armorall makes the best gel car wash soap that you apply directly to the car and don't need a bucket at all. Quick and easy like it should be.
No!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not another California Waterblade user! Mar that paint! Wait until you pick up some crap you didnt wash off the vehicle then whipe it with that thing. Customers have done that with big 5 foot scratches down the side of a vehicle.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:00 PM

Mr. Clean Car Wash System, No Spots!

The Mr. Clean Systems works great! No spots! Can get expensive replacing filters if you have hard water. Rinse, lather, rinse and then "paint" the whole car with the filter spray. Start at the top and work your way down. Wait about 10 mins and its sparkling clean.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:39 PM

What you need is a glass cleaner with ammonia. That is what made the old Bon Ami so good. I have a Mopar (gasp!) one that a bought a few years ago when I had a Jeep and it works wonders on the glass. Absolutely streak free...and it has ammonia unlike windex.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:56 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by Ern
No!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not another California Waterblade user! Mar that paint! Wait until you pick up some crap you didnt wash off the vehicle then whipe it with that thing. Customers have done that with big 5 foot scratches down the side of a vehicle.
Gee,
I must have been really lucky over the last 2 years to have never scratched anything. I do wipe the blade off between swipes, and I wash my car very carefully.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by nfboy
What you need is a glass cleaner with ammonia. That is what made the old Bon Ami so good. I have a Mopar (gasp!) one that a bought a few years ago when I had a Jeep and it works wonders on the glass. Absolutely streak free...and it has ammonia unlike windex.
Windex does have ammonia and is terrible to use on your car or anything other than glass. It dries out plastics and causes cracking and discoloring. The vary best thing that you can use to clean your windows is ammonia free glass and surface cleaner ( i like zep products the best) with a extremely fine grit steel wool especially if you are a smoker, it will take out haze that you never knew exsisted. After the Steel wool you can go over it with a paper towel but I like to use a white t shirt the best.

Don't get me wrong ammonia is one of the greatest cleaners out there but with modern materials it does not mix well.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

I believe the great debate on window cleaners was on another thread from about a year ago.

I've used Windex on my windows for 20+ years and never experienced the horrors that people state here. ALL the cars had tinted windows. I've even tried the "home brew" window cleaners solutions touted by the cleaning guru's. They had ammonia, vinegar and dish soap.

Use whatever you are comfortable with.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Ern

Originally Posted by TkHHR
Gee,
I must have been really lucky over the last 2 years to have never scratched anything. I do wipe the blade off between swipes, and I wash my car very carefully.
Youve been lucky to get nothing major. The micro marring is there, you just dont see it. Use a 80/20 blend waffle weave from cobra. youll love it and youll paint will too.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:32 AM

I have tried windex on the glass, but the spots still show. I think I will do somemore internet research and check out some auto glass cleaners that will remove spots. Then find the product I mentioned earlier that is a "glass wax" and apply it. I may just need to go to the local airport and find a maintenance place and get some aircraft wax.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:36 AM
Platinum Member

Daverb.....

have you determined what the spots are?.....minerals in the water?......soap residue?

I noticed with the AZ water (which is extremely high in solids content) if I leave the water on the windows just a little to long, they will spot. I generally use some vinegar to wipe them down, if it happens (being careful not to drop any on the paint).

Quick Reply: Spots on Glass