General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Starting RWD Conversion, Donor Car First

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 04:06 PM

Sweet projects!!!
Old 10-19-2021, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by oceangoer
I too have been pondering on building a Rear Wheel Drive HHR for several years. I've read most all of Lasiter's Posts. He's just about finished with a great build. Thanks again for the Posts and PM

So, now that I have the Time....

My friends are helping Me, We always help each other with our Street Rods builds We are all retired Engineers. We all have & Build Street Rods and We always do our own work We'll be designing the Mechanical portions,, frame, brackets, fitment etc. on Solid Works 3D CAD Software. Yes, We will be leaving the "door Open" for alternate engine, trans and diffy installs.

Designing on the CAD program will provide us with the various frame dimensions and various angles during the build. This is a different approach that most and initially takes a little longer, but this is the way that We work. Plus, We can modify the design much easier for other machinery and all the parts can be reproduced from CAD files.

We will Fabricate a proto frame, then fab a complete frame for my HHR Panel, DD

For my build I'm going to install a Solstice 2.4 Turbo, Aisin AR-5 5 speed manual trans, and IRS diffy. We'll be rebuilding the engine with better than OEM parts and push up the HP a bit. I'm wanting a lighter front end to balance the suspension better. Thinking 300+ hp

For the proto-type build We will preserving as much of the OEM wiring and electronics as possible. This goal is to be able to install a Ecotec engine and trans longitudinally RWD conversion, with the very minimal electronic and wiring mod's. For myself I'm pondering to remove all of the OEM wiring and electronics and do all over. There is just too much electronics in Car's now, it's crazy IMHO. And I'm an Electronic Engineer.

I just got the Donor Car, a HHR Panel. It is a total, but she still runs. I'm in the process of removing the interior working from the rear forward. Up to, but not the Dash or any of the wiring forward.

Next will be to remove the FWD engine & trans. Clean up the mess and get ready to test fit the new engine & trans.

I will try to answer questions related to this RWD Conversion as We progress.

If anyone is complicating or in process on a RWD conversion Chime in or send a PM.

WE should be able to get some progress photos posted by this weekend.

Michael....
Hi, i am planing a very similar project myself. Im just wondering why you decided to use the inferior 2.4l rather than going with the 2.0l? It takes a limited amount of work to pull 400hp from the 2.0l My plan is to use the 2.0l with manual trans and complete rear drive from a solstice. My thinking is i can get my pcm reprogrammed to work with the mods. This would allow me to keep my harness intact. Is my thinking flawed? I have sent out a few inquiries on the programming and just waiting on a reply. I will post what i find.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Most RWD conversations involve installing a V8 . But a 2.0 would be cool.
I always thought a 2.0 would be nice in an MGB or Triumph TR3 , maybe a Model A roadster pickup!
Old 10-20-2021, 10:04 AM

If you want to do a rwd conversation to an HHR, I would suggest that you consider the incredible amount of money and work you are going to invest in this and scrap the tiny engine idea. Sure, you can get tons of horsepower out of a 4 banger, but why? This is waaaaaaay too complicated to just end up with a sleeper. So you can occasionally surprise someone in a street race? Trust me 95% of the people that will see it won’t even know that you changed the engine from stock. If you are going to do this you should cut the floor out of an HHR and drop the body on a custom built chassis.

I have learned this important lesson the hard/expensive way. My V8 HHR has a tube chassis from the firewall back. That was a mistake. I am currently extending the tube chassis all the way to the front bumper. Steering problems can’t be fixed any other way. The new design includes a Mustang 2 front suspension.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Learn from other’s mistakes, or experience. My 49 Austin was a nightmare. Glad I sold that thing, what was I thinking! I sunk $2,500 into that project in 1974, sold it in 1979, just broke even. Never mind the hours of labour! My 440 swapped 1973 Plymouth Valiant was much more fun! Not changing from FWD to RWD but still a project with tons of fabrication challenges.
Old 03-27-2022, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by SSgtYoungGW
Hi, i am planing a very similar project myself. Im just wondering why you decided to use the inferior 2.4l rather than going with the 2.0l? It takes a limited amount of work to pull 400hp from the 2.0l My plan is to use the 2.0l with manual trans and complete rear drive from a solstice. My thinking is i can get my pcm reprogrammed to work with the mods. This would allow me to keep my harness intact. Is my thinking flawed? I have sent out a few inquiries on the programming and just waiting on a reply. I will post what i find.
I also have an 08 HHR LT that I am looking to turn to rrw. Want to keep original electronics. Wondering if something like the Tremec 6 speed manual could be adapted. I have the ecotec 2.4l

​​
Old 03-27-2022, 04:58 PM

Here's a picture of a Neon I saw at a cruise night. Notice anything different?

About 99% of the people who looked at this car didn't.
It has the SRT four cylinder mounted longitudinally, and rear wheel drive. It is ridiculously fast, in the high 9's in the quarter mile. But almost no one was looking at it.

If that is your goal, to build stupid fast and go totally unnoticed, then by all means do so.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Somebody must make a bell housing adapter for the Ecotec.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Somebody must make a bell housing adapter for the Ecotec.
GM. In the Solstice/Sky. That's where I would look for an Ecotec RWD drivetrain.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Yes, getting very hard to find