General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Steering wheel rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Rub and grind noises?
Brake clips rubbing the rotor?
splash shield bent touching the rotor?
hubs on their way out!
CV axles dry and making noises?
Old 12-08-2022, 11:43 AM

I would jack the front wheels up and push/pull on the wheels; if you can discern any endplay the hubs are bad. With the wheels on the ground trans in park try to roll the front tires; if the tires roll without the body moving the LCAs are bad. Shops don't usually know how to check those.
The intermediate shaft rattle is felt in the steering wheel. Or a delay when turning the steering wheel.
Bad hubs will cause a funny sound when brakes applied when turning.
Bad CVs usually click on turning.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I would jack the front wheels up and push/pull on the wheels; if you can discern any endplay the hubs are bad. With the wheels on the ground trans in park try to roll the front tires; if the tires roll without the body moving the LCAs are bad. Shops don't usually know how to check those.
The intermediate shaft rattle is felt in the steering wheel. Or a delay when turning the steering wheel.
Bad hubs will cause a funny sound when brakes applied when turning.
Bad CVs usually click on turning.
its a cross between grind/rub... it sounds like metal brake pad backing hitting the rotors but pads are thick and good, it also seems to only do it when turning and braking which sounds alot like tire rub but there is no rubbing anywhere in the well, strut tower spring plate.... nothing. The shop had it up and checked hubs, not dry or making any noise in rotation, no play in them either.... they checks for cotor contact with bracket and backing plate.... nothing They cleaned everything, put back together and out the door I was a few hours later. Still does it but cant find anything causing the noise. It makes the sound turning either direction and even does it occasionally in parking lots pulling in and out of parking spaces??? The steering shaft only rattles when braking from higher speeds where the grind/rub is low/slow speeds turning.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:32 PM

Shops don't usually know how to check hubs.
What you describe is a bad hub.
It is easy to check them yourself.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:57 AM

Shops don't usually know how to check hubs.
What you describe is a bad hub.
It is easy to check them yourself.
Its my son in law doing the work ( get things done cheap/discounted, free ) He checked the hubs ( no play in the wheels top/bottom/side/side....He did the LCA a few weeks ago (MOOG) so those are new. Borrowing a floor jack from a buddy soon so I can get under the car as well. Im going to see what I can find on these 2 remaining issues ( rattle and grind sound ) which I believe the rattle is the steering joint/shaft now and the grind Im still not sure because it sounds more like when a wheel rubs the splash shield in the wheel well.... only does it when braking and turning.... but could be hubs if dry? just odd it only does it in a turn while braking. There is no sign of tire rub anywhere nor any damage to tires from rubbing anything so need to investigate more. .
Old 12-19-2022, 02:15 PM

Free help is worth what you pay.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:26 PM

It all depends on who... we always look at it together at the shop just I cant really do anything there ( policy ) and he is very thorogh with everything , not lazy as some are.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:20 AM
Administrator

I go to members homes to work on their HHRs, no charge, ergo free help!
The friendship developed is worth much more than money, ask theShmoo or fastsuv, for example.