General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Stick vs. automatic

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:17 PM

Stick vs. automatic

I'm in the market for an HHR and I want stick shift. Trouble is I can't test drive one because no dealer anywhere near where I live (Seattle area) stocks anything but automatics. One salesman, in North Bend, told me they want to sell to women and "everybody knows women can't drive anything but automatics".

Anyway, I'd like to hear some pros and cons from any of you who have stick shifts. Thanks.

Dick Ellingson
Preston, WA
Old 04-16-2008, 06:27 PM

mines auto but from what I read the sticks don't have arm rests but are quicker, besides that not much. Good luck
Old 04-16-2008, 06:47 PM

!!I have a 5-speed & armrests!!
I love the five speed - Good ratio - Nice on the freeway
Old 04-16-2008, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by saltyfishguy
mines auto but from what I read the sticks don't have arm rests but are quicker, besides that not much. Good luck
What does the transmission have to do with the arm rest?
Old 04-16-2008, 07:00 PM

Not really sure as I said I have an auto but maybe I just read that on the SS forum, waaaaaay sorry bout that, my bad.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:11 PM

What's that dealer's name? I need to call him. What a jerk! I drove stick shifts for almost 20 years before buying an automatic. As a matter of fact, I bought my first one without knowing how to drive it but taught myself quickly on the way home from the dealer.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
What's that dealer's name? I need to call him. What a jerk! I drove stick shifts for almost 20 years before buying an automatic. As a matter of fact, I bought my first one without knowing how to drive it but taught myself quickly on the way home from the dealer.
Chaplin's in North Bend, WA. It was obviously a way to rationalize not stocking what interested me, the customer.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:20 PM

My dealer in Florida hasn't stocked on since they first arrived. Their excuse is the elderly population down here. I want to test drive one also but my knees are riddled with arthritis so I don't think I'll ever buy one again.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:55 PM

Armrests are on regular HHR's...not on SS from what I understand.

I would find myself another dealer, because that one is a bigot. I have driven nothing but stick shifts for the past 10 years and my HHR is a stick as well. I had to look a little harder to find one...4 dealerships in one day, but I found what I was looking for.

Find a salesman at a dealership that you can bond with and ask him to find you one. They can do a dealer trade to get it there or you can go to wherever it is and get it yourself.

Have you tried looking at inventory listed thru chevrolet.com? They can sometimes lead you to what you are looking for as well. I'll see what I can help you find...any color preference or other options...or is 5 spd the only requirement?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
Armrests are on regular HHR's...not on SS from what I understand.

I would find myself another dealer, because that one is a bigot. I have driven nothing but stick shifts for the past 10 years and my HHR is a stick as well. I had to look a little harder to find one...4 dealerships in one day, but I found what I was looking for.

Find a salesman at a dealership that you can bond with and ask him to find you one. They can do a dealer trade to get it there or you can go to wherever it is and get it yourself.

Have you tried looking at inventory listed thru chevrolet.com? They can sometimes lead you to what you are looking for as well. I'll see what I can help you find...any color preference or other options...or is 5 spd the only requirement?
I agree. My ex drove our Jeep for 10 years and when we split she bought a Scion with stick shift. It was an asinine comment by the car salesman. I'll just order one with a stick. I'd rather special order anyway. My main concern was whether there are any real reasons to stay away from the stick. So far, I hear none.

Quick Reply: Stick vs. automatic