General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Stick vs. automatic

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

The only REAL REASON to stay away from a stick is......

They are habit forming
Old 04-16-2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
The only REAL REASON to stay away from a stick is......

They are habit forming
Yes they are Snoopy...especially with the HHR.

I test drove both before buying Smoke...and just don't think I would have been near as happy with the auto as I am with the stick. You give up being able to have cool features like remote start and traction control if you want that...but I don't need to have either one, so I couldn't be more pleased with mine.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:29 PM

My experience with stick shifts in 4 cylinder cars is that you get a quicker car, with a noticable mileage improvement to boot, with a stick. Been that way with Chevettes back in the day, as well as today. Of course the auto HHR runs darn nice too, with decent mileage too, but the stick is better in real driving.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:51 PM

Stick vs Auto

I Have had the same problem finding a stick to test drive. I live in NJ and there is a Chevy dealer every 5 miles. There were none to be had. I did find two SS models in stick. SS seats I saw had no armrests. They can get in the way of the stick. Note also the SS seats are very different anyway form normal HHRs.

A week ago (April 10th 2008) I did finally I did manage to find a brand new 2007 2.2L LT on a lot about 50 miles from my home using the chevy Web page.

I drove down and drove it (149HP 2.2L). Much less Zoom by far than the SS stick I drove (260HP). However, I liked it very much. The Hydraulic shifter was very smooth, accelleration was quite "Zippy" (a technical term). The zip was FAR FAR FAR better than the automatic. Much nicer sound too.

For my height (6.0ft) the ergonomics of placement was perfect and very comfortable.

Although I would have preferred to have located a 175 HP 2.4L manual to test, I never located one. Instead I took the deal offerred in this sweet little 2.2L ride. As it was a 2007 the current Chevy Cash rebate allocation is $2500. Plus, the dealer gave me GM employee rate to move it off his lot. In the end the MSRP sticker price of $17,550 was sold to me for $13,500. Compared to the 22,000 price for the 2008 SS I was considering I think I got a steal??? I am quite pleased so far. It had 14 miles on it. Now it has 567 miles on it. So far so sweet! I just bought the parts to upgrade the stearing wheel to leather with the radio controls. Considering a CGS or GMPP air intake to get another 5-10 HP out of her and 1MPG increase.

Note the dealer has one more HHR stick 2007 at this price (Chevy 73 in Berlin NJ). Could not recommend them more!

In any case, as a previous VW Cabrio and GTI owner, I truly enjoy the zippy cruise of the HHR manual. My kids and elderly parents love the easy entry too from the height offered by the vehicle. -my only wish... Handles above te doors to help older folks get in and out a little better. My parents preferred this feature on the new Scion Xb (175hp base model stick there is zippy too! the 2008 has the same toyota engine as the Carolla)

I can guarantee you that the stick HHS LS and LT models come with armrests. They do not get in the way for my height.

If you order one from the factory un-test driven I think you will be happy -as scary as that sounds!

PS when I lived in Germany, they told me that automatic transmissions were only for the learning impaired!

God luck!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Dealer people, salespeople, etc. will tell you anything when it comes to buying a vehicle. But, I think the bottom line regarding dealers and automatic transmissions is..........................they make a little more money........and a little more potential service.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:15 PM

Here's some 5 spds I found via chevrolet.com - Looks like this dealership may have a few. According to dealership website they have 8 manual HHR's.

http://www.pierrechevrolet.com/HomePage

BILL PIERRE CHEVROLET
11550 LAKE CITY WAY NE
SEATTLE, WA 98125-5328
Phone: (206) 363-6110
Fax: (206) 367-53042008 HHR LS
ENGINE, 2.2L DOHC ECOTEC
5-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION
VICTORY RED
GRAY CLOTH
VIN: 3GNDA33D38S592004

2008 HHR LS
ENGINE, 2.2L DOHC ECOTEC
Black
BLACK INTERIOR TRIM
VIN: 3GNDA33D68S601861
SOLID REAR QUARTER PANEL

BILL PIERRE CHEVROLET
11550 LAKE CITY WAY NE
SEATTLE, WA 98125-5328
ENGINE, 2.2L DOHC ECOTEC
IMPERIAL BLUE METALLIC
BLACK INTERIOR TRIM
VIN: 3GNDA33D78S600072
SOLID REAR QUARTER PANEL

BILL PIERRE CHEVROLET
11550 LAKE CITY WAY NE
SEATTLE, WA 98125-5328
ENGINE, 2.2L DOHC ECOTEC
CARDINAL RED METALLIC
BLACK INTERIOR TRIM
VIN: 3GNDA33D28S602747
Old 04-16-2008, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by xpmorin
I Have had the same problem finding a stick to test drive. I live in NJ and there is a Chevy dealer every 5 miles. There were none to be had. I did find two SS models in stick. SS seats I saw had no armrests. They can get in the way of the stick. Note also the SS seats are very different anyway form normal HHRs.

A week ago (April 10th 2008) I did finally I did manage to find a brand new 2007 2.2L LT on a lot about 50 miles from my home using the chevy Web page.

I drove down and drove it (149HP 2.2L). Much less Zoom by far than the SS stick I drove (260HP). However, I liked it very much. The Hydraulic shifter was very smooth, accelleration was quite "Zippy" (a technical term). The zip was FAR FAR FAR better than the automatic. Much nicer sound too.

For my height (6.0ft) the ergonomics of placement was perfect and very comfortable.

Although I would have preferred to have located a 175 HP 2.4L manual to test, I never located one. Instead I took the deal offerred in this sweet little 2.2L ride. As it was a 2007 the current Chevy Cash rebate allocation is $2500. Plus, the dealer gave me GM employee rate to move it off his lot. In the end the MSRP sticker price of $17,550 was sold to me for $13,500. Compared to the 22,000 price for the 2008 SS I was considering I think I got a steal??? I am quite pleased so far. It had 14 miles on it. Now it has 567 miles on it. So far so sweet! I just bought the parts to upgrade the stearing wheel to leather with the radio controls. Considering a CGS or GMPP air intake to get another 5-10 HP out of her and 1MPG increase.

Note the dealer has one more HHR stick 2007 at this price (Chevy 73 in Berlin NJ). Could not recommend them more!

In any case, as a previous VW Cabrio and GTI owner, I truly enjoy the zippy cruise of the HHR manual. My kids and elderly parents love the easy entry too from the height offered by the vehicle. -my only wish... Handles above te doors to help older folks get in and out a little better. My parents preferred this feature on the new Scion Xb (175hp base model stick there is zippy too! the 2008 has the same toyota engine as the Carolla)

I can guarantee you that the stick HHS LS and LT models come with armrests. They do not get in the way for my height.

If you order one from the factory un-test driven I think you will be happy -as scary as that sounds!

PS when I lived in Germany, they told me that automatic transmissions were only for the learning impaired!

God luck!
Thanks, xpmorin. That's the kind of info I'm looking for. And congrats--sounds like you scored a real deal!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by LT1GMC
My experience with stick shifts in 4 cylinder cars is that you get a quicker car, with a noticable mileage improvement to boot, with a stick. Been that way with Chevettes back in the day, as well as today. Of course the auto HHR runs darn nice too, with decent mileage too, but the stick is better in real driving.
That is the truth! when i decided to get an HHR i had to have a stick... My GF has an auto so i knew how they are. I wanted to test it the stick out as well and ended up driving the only LS 2.2 stick on the lot locally. I was supprised to see that the 2.2 in the stick was as fast and responsive as her 2.4 auto so i ordered 2LT with the stick. I LOVE IT. It's so much fun to drive! they will get you in trouble though. i am waiting to get the next speeding ticket... LOL IMHO i would never own anything but a stick...
Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 PM

I've always preferred a stick, and with only a couple of exceptions, my vehicles have all been sticks. But age is catching up with me, and I just don't have the knees to deal with a manual in stop-and-go traffic to and from work. I'd love to a have a manual in my HHR, but my daily needs dictate otherwise. I get my manual shift excitement now riding my Harley!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:39 PM

BTW...if you don't happen to like a particular dealership...you could always go to one you do and have them do a dealer swap.

Quick Reply: Stick vs. automatic