General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Still fun to drive...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:10 PM

Still fun to drive...

For those who don't know, I ride a Harley and love it. I also have a bad back at a ripe age of 22 and can't ride the Harley every day.

So, to get away, I've been taking the HHR out for a nice "spirited drive" (as James Bond would say) in the back roads of New Jersey instead of the bike. Despite being an automatic with a mere 147 horsepower, the suspension is sporty enough to make the drive enjoyable while playing Lynyrd Skynyrd with the windows rolled down.

Still wish it was a stick sometimes, but when my El Camino died, I had to get what was available. I couldn't be happier with my purchase, especially now that I've had a chance to push its limits a little more.

It's a blast to drive, especially when it's not carrying four other people.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:40 PM
jx3

Always nice hearing about people enjoying what they got!!

Hope you have many more fun miles.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:50 PM

Have you tryed a "spirited drive" leaving the trans shifter in the I drive? If not try it its fun
Old 05-28-2009, 01:42 PM

Agreed. It's an absolute BLAST with a turbo and a five-speed.

New Jersey still has some pretty good twisties. The farther north, and the farther you get from the Turnpike, the more "Spirited Driving Opportunities" there are.

Morris / Sussex / Warren Counties are the best, in my opinion.

Maybe I'll see you out there. Look for a shiny black SS Half-Panel with a grinning driver.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by VictorySpeedway

New Jersey still has some pretty good twisties. The farther north, and the farther you get from the Turnpike, the more "Spirited Driving Opportunities" there are.

Maybe I'll see you out there. Look for a shiny black SS Half-Panel with a grinning driver.
I spend a lot of time on the back roads of Harding, Morris Township and Mendham. Good roads out there.

Look for the kid grinning ear to ear blasting classic rock with the windows rolled down.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by tplyons
've been taking the HHR out for a nice "spirited drive" (as James Bond would say) in the back roads of New Jersey instead of the bike. Despite being an automatic with a mere 147 horsepower, the suspension is sporty enough to make the drive enjoyable while playing Lynyrd Skynyrd with the windows rolled down.
You might be interested in one of THESE. Getting rave reviews over in the Suspension forum.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by VictorySpeedway

Do you know how fast you can drive on the flat open roads down in the Pine Barrens? I do.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:28 PM

I was on Rt. 22 last week, just north of Reading, PA. A Toyota Highlander (???) was a few inches off my back bumper. I sped up, he sped up, then passed me doing about 80. Hmmm....

When I went by him, I looked at my GPS. I was doing 108. I slowed down. He caught up to me, honked the horn, and gave me thumbs up. The Chevy wasn't even breathing hard.

And all at 27 mpg (average since day one)!

I gotta stay in the right-hand lane, though, or I'll be going to jail.

This thing is AWESOME!!!

Last edited by VictorySpeedway; 05-29-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Forgot last line!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:48 PM

yee haw

I was coming out of Refugio Tx. on my way home from Branson last July when a brown 911 turbo came around me. Well ,,what can I say, nothing like a good front door,,,so I layed the ears back on my black ss and caught up to him,, seen him look in hisrear view,, he nailed that porsche and away we went. Of course I couldn't out run him, But Ill bet he was wondering about that gold bowtie giving him a run , and almost keeping up with hm. At 135mph, I got one of those evil stares from the right seat,, so I decided it was time to act my age.or was that her words.... That was last year, now that I have over 11,000 miles on it, it seems to have really woke up, I have noticed a major improvement in the thrill of hammering on it. I remember the first day I bought it, I was thinking,, thats it,not impressed, but now, am very satisfied with the performance. Any one else experience this, awakening?