General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Stock Fog Light Size

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 08:05 PM

Stock Fog Light Size

Does anyone know the actual size of the stock fogs? Is there much gap around them? I know about the electrics and reprograming the BCM and all of that so I'm just concerened with size mostly.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sonoma GT
Does anyone know the actual size of the stock fogs? Is there much gap around them? I know about the electrics and reprograming the BCM and all of that so I'm just concerened with size mostly.

The lens is 4 7/8".......Then there is about 1/8" gap between the lens and the rest of the fog housing. Then there isn't any gap from the housing to the bumper fascia....Hope this helps.......Regards

P.S. Make sure that your BCM can be re-programmed. Mine was locked and couldn't be re-programmed and would have required buying a new one (BCM) and then having that one programmed.....Dealer Quote was $422.00......lol!!!........Regards

Last edited by RUDEINC; 10-06-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:16 PM

You can avoid that by having it directly connected to your ignition. Nothing had to be re-programmed then. Then again I used after markets. So might be different.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:28 PM

I am planing on using after market lights and most likely wiring them direct omiting the BCM. I thought it may be possible to buy and use the OEM switch but I have not looked at that close enough to see if it can be done considering that that is a momentary switch. Keeping the stock look would be nice.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:48 AM

I am planing on using after market lights and most likely wiring them direct omiting the BCM. I thought it may be possible to buy and use the OEM switch but I have not looked at that close enough to see if it can be done considering that that is a momentary switch. Keeping the stock look would be nice.
That was my thought, to use the factory switch. And believe me I tried and finally succeded (well, kind of). Because you can't use the factory switch unless you go through the BCM. Like you already know the switch is a momentary switch, so unless you plan on holding the button or taping it down, the lights are not going to stay on..... I already had ordered all the OEM parts to do the job so I was going to make it work come hell or high water, plus like you, I wanted the OEM look of the fog light button. So what I ended up doing in a was this......I purchased an aftermarket 30A relay (if using aftermarket fogs it should come with the kit, remember I used all OEM stuff) so I could by-pass the main fuse panel. This was only after I tried to run a wire from the factory fog light relay output, that turns out to be controled by the BCM, which of course doesn't work unless you can have the BCM re-programmed......Then I ran all the needed wires to the relay (fog lights, 12v, switch, and ground) under the hood......Then I ran the 2 wires for the for fog light switch inside the car (12v switched, and foglight output from the new relay).........Then what I did in order to "use" the factory switch was... I mounted a mini-micro switch on the side of the factory switch, so when you push the factory spring loaded switch down, it "triggers" or activates the micro switch and turns on the fog lights......and just push the oem button again it triggers the micro switch and it will turn them back off. I know it seems like alot of crap to go through, and it is....but if you insist and are stubborn like me and have to use the oem switch because you like the look and want to avoid doing anything with the BCM, then you will have to do something similar to what has been described above.....

If you want to make things real easy, (my suggestion) simply use an aftermarket rocker switch or toggle mounted in a convienent location.... Good Luck with your project.........Regards
Old 10-06-2006, 10:30 AM

You could use the factory monentary switch to trigger a self latching relay circuit. Just take the +12v output and jumper it back to the + coil side. One push will energize it and latch it so it would stay on until you shut the car off.

Another option would be to get a "Flip Flop" relay that would toggle both on and off with each push of the the monmentary switch or you could build your own if you are handy with electronics.

http://www.attr.com/alarm/a4757.htm
Old 10-07-2006, 08:08 PM

So these 5" lights should fit?

http://www.autoanything.com/lights/69A1698A0A0.aspx
Old 10-07-2006, 08:27 PM

I would say most likely. But it would really depend on the light housing size......For $18.00 more why don't you buy the factory fog lights? This way they fit perfect and they "snap" right in. No mounting brackets to mess with. Just my

Regards..........