General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Storage Tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 03:12 PM

Storage Tips

Ok, first off, sorry if this thread doesn't belong in this category, I wasn't quite sure where to put it....

So.... This coming fall I will be putting my HHR into storage. (Before you all go off at me for storing it, remember, I have my reasons... Please don't go on a tangent telling me why I shouldn't.)

Anyways, I've never stored a newer car before, only my truck. Does anyone have any helpful tips as to storing it? Should I change the oil BEFORE I put it away so the dirty oil doesn't sit in it all winter, or should I change it AFTER I get it out so there isn't any condensation in it? In the truck I change it before and after, but I usually put cheap oil in before so it wasn't much money...but I have Mobile 1 in the HHR... I will put STABIL in the gas tank, so I know that won't be a problem, but do you guys suggest a full tank of gas, or nearly empty? I usually fill it up so there's less room for condensation, but I just wondered what you guys think. How about the battery? Should I unhook it or anything?

Basically, is there anything else I should do to get it ready for, or during storage? The only reason I'm asking now is so I can (yes), get some of the stuff I might need (Stabil, oil) on sale rather than all at the last minute...

Sorry guys, I have to try and stretch every dollar...lol:
Old 09-06-2009, 04:00 PM

The main thing to consider is if it will be in and out of freezing temps or if there will be a somewhat constant temp.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:57 PM

Well, it will be in and out of freezing temps, once it gets to a fairly constant temp...if you understand what I mean, lol. It's a Michigan winter. It will be stored in a pole barn though, but it still gets some condensation in there somewhat. So the beginning of winter and the end of winter it will be warm/cold, but in the majority of winter it will probably be a constant below freezing.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:00 PM

Full tank of gas with Stabil
Support the car on the suspension but not on the tires (avoids flat spotting the tires)
Depending on where its stored...moth balls or flakes around or under it will help keep mice, other rodents away from it. They love stored car.
Change the oil before storage and after......Yes cheap Dino oil should be fine forwhile its in storage. Mobile 1 for the after.
Buy a desiccant dryer for the interior to keep the interior from getting musty/moldy.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by HHorange; 09-06-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Added one more thought
Old 09-06-2009, 07:24 PM

Eric, the only thing I would add is IF you plan on covering the vehicle for 3-4 months do not use a plastic tarp or drop cloth. With the high Michigan humidity you will trap a lot of moisture underneath the cover. There are special covers made for long term vehicle storage you might want to check into.

I use a cycle cover with 3 vents in the top and a half dozen large trays of moisture absorbing sicila crystals under the cover when I store my CBX over the winter. (The same stuff that comes in the little bags packed in with the cameras you buy. )

Oh, and a heavy coat of a good wax before you put it away. I also used a couple cans of WD-40 in a LIGHT mist over the whole bike. You have to detail it pretty good in the spring or the WD will smoke until it burns off the motor.

Last edited by skyeglen; 09-06-2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: additional thought
Old 09-06-2009, 07:27 PM

Stabil is a waste of money. Today's gas EASILY will last for 6 months or longer in a sealed container without ANY degradation!
Old 09-06-2009, 09:04 PM

I haven't decided if I will cover it or not... I usually don't cover the truck, but my dad has an old cover from his Galaxy he used to have..

Oh, and I think I'll just get the Stabil for a few bucks rather than take my chances...
Old 09-06-2009, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tominator
Stabil is a waste of money. Today's gas EASILY will last for 6 months or longer in a sealed container without ANY degradation!
A gas tank is not a sealed container though.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by 1Panel2NV
A gas tank is not a sealed container though.
Tell me why it isn't....but not to argue. About half the stuff on store shelves is 'snake oil' and if you believe the advertising hype, go for it!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:47 PM

If you cover it, use a cotton cover, so it can breath. You do NOT want to trap moisture under the cover.

Quick Reply: Storage Tips