General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Storage Tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:10 PM

Close off the intake and add dessicant there too (in air box) , sensors don't like open air during non use. Close off the exhaust too, keeps the rodents out. Spray down the cyl with wd40 if you feel the need,but really not long enough to worry about it. Do the rest suggested,,block up the suspension,disconnect battery, add trickle charger to it (can leave batt connected as long as the charger is on it). Might take a look at air inlet for interior whether rodents can get it there too...something about barns, pole barns and critters. I'd cover since a pole barn is generally open to the elements.DO NOT SET THE PARKING BRAKE!! You'lll be fine.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Close off the intake and add dessicant there too (in air box) , sensors don't like open air during non use. Close off the exhaust too, keeps the rodents out. Spray down the cyl with wd40 if you feel the need,but really not long enough to worry about it. Do the rest suggested,,block up the suspension,disconnect battery, add trickle charger to it (can leave batt connected as long as the charger is on it). Might take a look at air inlet for interior whether rodents can get it there too...something about barns, pole barns and critters. I'd cover since a pole barn is generally open to the elements.DO NOT SET THE PARKING BRAKE!! You'lll be fine.
In Michigan, a pole barn is what newer metal barns are called. They are actually more sealed up than a regular wood barn in most cases, because they are newer and most wooden barns are very old.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:57 AM

There is a lot of good advice in here. I would definitely suggest pulling the battery. Batteries don't like the cold, especially sitting in it for an extended period. If it freezes and cracks/leaks you will have problems. I would recommend storing it in the basement and hooking up a trickle chager about once a month.

Pole barns are better sealed than a barn, but still are wide open to rodents as is any garage. They also have no rat wall so unless you have a concrete floor, animals can dig under the exterior walls. Inspect frequently for evidence of critters.

As far as oil goes, unless you don't drive much, you are unlikely to exceed the time limit on how long your oil is good. I change my motorcycle oil 2x per year (April and October). The old thinking about oil (3 mos. / 3000 mi.) is both environmentally and economically wasteful.

Lastly, I second the opinion that additives are useless. Modern gas contains more additives than you can imagine, and the manual recommends against any such products. A full tank should do the trick.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:13 AM

My only two comments are about the use of Stabil and covers. As a couple of people have already said, Stabil is a waste of money, but I don't think it will hurt anything. I haven't used Stabil in our lawn mower or snow blower in many years. I wouldn't cover it. More damage can actually be done with a cover than without. Being that its only going to be under the cover of a pole barn, all you'll end up with is a fine coat of dust in the spring.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:28 AM

You need to use some sort of Desiccant/Dehumidifier when storing any kind of Car, Truck, Boat, Bike, etc. These will keep absorb excess moisture within the wrap or cover, which the moisture would cause rust, mildew, mold, etc.

This is one product I use, it is a portable Dehumidifier that uses Desiccants which makes it electric free! It can also be reactivated to be reused over and over again!

http://www.silicagelpackets.com/dry-packs-dehumidifier/
Old 09-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Thank you everyone for all of the great input! Typically on the truck, we do unhook the battery, but leave it in. My grandpa occasionally charges it with a trickle charger. (The barn is at his house, and he stores two trucks as well.) And yes, I didn't realize a pole barn had different meanings...sorry. It is a fully enclosed barn with metal sides, and it does have a concrete floor. He has never had any rodent problems that are too major, he really doesn't have mice, and the worst thing that usually gets in the barn is the occasional bird, which ALWAYS manages to leave me some presents....

I've never heard of lifting the suspension, and I've never had any flat spots on my trucks tires....but maybe I should do that this year. Especially since the tires on the HHR are new.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:40 PM

Is it possible to be able to start it and move it occasionally? Not drive it around, but for lubrication, tire rotation, etc..... Can make a differance to what you need to do.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:43 PM

Is there any reason you or grandpa can't occasionally start the vehicle during the winter storage?

EDIT: solman98 beat me to it.

EDIT, EDIT: This is a newer vehicle with a very computerize electrical system. Is there anything that is being missed?
Old 09-08-2009, 03:24 PM

Yeah, we usually star the truck...I'll admit though I haven't done the Lumina since May... But we usually don't move it. I could probably back it up a few feet and forward, not a whole lot of space... Either way we could and probably would start it occasionally.

And yeah, as Sno White said, anything electrical I should worry about or take care of? Obviously the truck doesn't have much electronics to take care of.....
Old 09-08-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
EDIT, EDIT: This is a newer vehicle with a very computerize electrical system. Is there anything that is being missed?
Mine sat in the garage for the first two years of it's life with the battery out of it while I cut & welded on it...occasionally started it, but not moved. No ill effects that I have noticed, knock on wood

Quick Reply: Storage Tips