General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Storage Tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:30 PM

So this is what I do on my Camaro when it gets put away for the winter (the HHR I bought to serve as my winter vehicle)-
Fuel - plastic tanks aren't that affected by corrosion caused from humudity as steel tanks were, though there's typically some steel components in the fuel level sender, but with the breathing going through the carbon canister in the evaporative emissions system, there's likely little humudity getting in, so I try to run the fuel as low as I can, then put a couple of gallons in fresh soon before laying up, that will then need adding to soon after in the spring, minimizing the length of time that the fuel sits. No additives used. Done this for many years without any issues.
Battery - I remove this and store it in the basement - self-discharge rate is reduced at low temperatures, but temperature cycling is bad for battery aging. There's no risk of a battery that has any life left in it freezing above -30F, a new one should be good to around -50F. I usually just monitor the voltage of the battery, and so far I don't think I've ever needed to recharge one out of the vehicle. Modern vehicles have a fair amount of key-off drain from circuits that are constantly on, and oftern ship with a fuse lifted to isolate those until they're prepped for use, but that's generally small compared to the self-discharge rate anyway, so leaving it connected shouldn't flatten it, it's the temperature variations I try to avoid.
Oil - I replace with fresh just before laying up, assuming that it doesn't degrgade just from cold storage, I don't replace after.
Intake - I plug this to avoid finding mice nesting in the airbox (happened once).
Cover - I have a permeable dust cover.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Thank you everyone for all of the great input! Typically on the truck, we do unhook the battery, but leave it in. My grandpa occasionally charges it with a trickle charger. (The barn is at his house, and he stores two trucks as well.) And yes, I didn't realize a pole barn had different meanings...sorry. It is a fully enclosed barn with metal sides, and it does have a concrete floor. He has never had any rodent problems that are too major, he really doesn't have mice, and the worst thing that usually gets in the barn is the occasional bird, which ALWAYS manages to leave me some presents....

I've never heard of lifting the suspension, and I've never had any flat spots on my trucks tires....but maybe I should do that this year. Especially since the tires on the HHR are new.
Are you going to put this thing away for a couple of years? If it's only for 4 or 5 months, say, from November to April, just put a float charger on the battery and give the car a run on nice days at around 1 month intervals.

As far as the pole barn is concerned, MAKE SURE THE HOOD IS OPEN! Mice sometimes leave you alone, then all of a sudden, one year they will come like locusts!

I keep my vehicles in my 30' x 40' pole barn. I learned the hard way with my 22 year old Silverado one year when they partially chewed up the insulation under the hood. Once I kept the hoods on the vehicles open, they don't "settle" in, because there's no place to hide. Windows are closed tight.

The vehicles you see in the pics are maintained as described above for many years. 2 are 22 years old (the Chev Silverado and the Suzuki) and the Chev Bel Air is 45 years young. The 3 wheeler is 27 years old. I have never had any problem with any of them after the winter.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:43 PM

Ive heard somewhere, not sure exactly why , but long term storage on concrete, put apiece of rug between the floor and tires....I know with bikes on concrete you have to place rug or the moisture collects,,,every wonder why there's condensation on alll your chrome in an otherwise dry garage?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:45 PM

Thanks again for all of the great input! I really like your Silverado!

Anyways, no, I will not be storing for a long time, just the winter... We usually leave the hoods open, so charging the battery is easier, but the HHR wouldn't need that anyways...so I'll make sure to pop it open then.

If I place rugs or carpet samples under the car, will that reduce moisture? My dad used to work at a furniture store, so we have a bunch...
Old 09-09-2009, 07:30 AM

Thumbs up Car In a Bag?

This is what my Brother stores his $80,000 Frame off Fully Restorated Show car in, (unheated garage)... I also store my Motorcycle in one of these made for motorcycle's, (unheated garage)... NO Bad Effects at all in the Springtime....And Chicago winters are usually pretty bad.

http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/20A50302A1.aspx
Old 09-09-2009, 07:38 AM

Ha ha...that's pretty cool!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:06 AM

Well, it's starting to get colder now, you can tell fall is here. I think I'm going to put my truck away in the next couple weeks, and the HHR is soon to follow. I have a feeling it might start snowing early this year, so more salt on the roads...great!
Old 09-28-2009, 07:34 PM

As a motor home owner I fill the tank add Sea Form instead of Staybil- it lubes and drys out the gas. Remember all this ethanol turns gas bad fast, don't know what the effects on HHr would be since it can be ran on it. Best of luck have some of that great chicken at Bavarian Inn for me.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by jbman
have some of that great chicken at Bavarian Inn for me.
You should come on up and we can have a little g2g in Frankenmuth sometime!
Old 09-29-2009, 05:35 AM

Frankenmuth? Now that is a neat little town! "Michigan's Little Bavaria."

I had a route up to Elkton and LOVED that part of Michigan!

Quick Reply: Storage Tips