General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Stupid Move -COUNTER CLOCKWISE Harmonic balancer blues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 08:38 PM

If it did not jump time you didn't hurt anything by turning it. I'd start it and see since there's no interference. Wait the one turn was CCW. You did not try turning it since CW?
Old 08-01-2022, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by greg8453
If it did not jump time you didn't hurt anything by turning it. I'd start it and see since there's no interference. Wait the one turn was CCW. You did not try turning it since CW?
This is what im hoping :

it was something like a half turn to a full turn before i removed the balancer ....

Im just hoping im closer more the the half turn or less and did not jump timing.

so for "safety" (loosely used word i guess) im going to install the new crank seal as planned
new bolt as planned.
im assuming my dad is gonna wanna spin it clockwise a few times to make sure it can ---- ( although i have no clue where he will begin after reading all this)
drop it in tdc on #1 cylinder
crank
pray for the best.

be a damn shame to loose the hhr at such high milage running so dang goood over a stupid mistake but i guess its gods will

and dummys like me must learn one way or another

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN.

YOUR HELP and helping others on threads took my lil used hhr panel that no-one wanted over 200k miles over the years since i got it at close to 100k .

Old 08-01-2022, 10:17 PM

You already have the balancer off, it's not a whole lot more work to replace the timing set. Even if you didn't mess up the timing chain with the counter-clockwise turn, the components have lived an extended life. I just think it's foolish to press your luck. These are interference engines, if the timing gets off, the engine is toast. If you think a new timing chain is too much work or expense, you're really not going to like replacing the engine.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:18 PM

At 305,000 you should just go ahead and replace the chain and guides, they are on borrowed time.

Until you have had the chain cover off and turned the crank backwards don't say it won't jump. The way the guides are sitting any backward movement will pop that skip. The chain bunches up and click, start over. The tensioner is made to hold tension in one direction.
Don't ask me how I know.

However, valve damage is a pretty long shot. I would not loose a lot of sleep over that.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:22 PM

I agree, there probably is no valve damage... yet.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:54 AM

Hello ALL again ,

My old man called me at 5:55 am....came right over...
we reinstalled the new balancer new seal new bolt and gave the bolt a spin clockwise super slow to see the stroke movement ...
nothing hung up and it seemed very smooth...after bugging him with 27k questions (im brand new to wrenching around)
We felt confidant to turn the motor on.

did a small prayer as im a simple dude tryna put food on the table for my fam.

and will you know it .. everything was fine..

Since my harmonic balancer is the only part of my belt system that was not changed at this mileage it was flapping around pretty serious only becoming super serious 2 days back.

so it was amazingly quiet when the job was done ,and i will admit we did hear the timing chain ever so slightly ( i mean u really gotta stick your head in that wheel well .)

As you kind folks mentioned at 300k the chain is 100% on borrowed time.

so all of your timing chain parts in suggestions will be done.

I will prob park the car up and get to planning as thats just what i do (over plan, save money, get confidence to do it ect ect.)

my dads idea maybe getting a donor hhr or 2.2 car with an accident and removing engine and doing all the timing stuff as well as other things on a stand .
I really just love to learn so that maybe the idea for me.

other than that i wanna give thanks to everyone who replied .
you guys rock !

donbrew

​​​​​​
RJ_RS_SS_350

​​​​​​
Oldblue

i have read 100s of your reply to to people on this forum over the years and i wanna make sure i give u guys all the credit for any research ive ever done about my car.
with out you guys knowing you helped out a guy like me keep his car on the road for years.

kudos to you , im forever grateful !

​​​​​​greg8453-----thank you for your optimism ... dont think i would of slept last night without it !!!!
Old 08-02-2022, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Never mind time changing parts on a junk engine….

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...in-kits-60394/

And this

http://www.ddmworks.com/assets/image...uild%20Kit.pdf
Old 08-02-2022, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue

Thank you as all the advise and links you guys give as it is great perspective , insight and pure gold for a guy unfortunately learns from mistake to mistake like me !
Old 08-02-2022, 09:54 AM

If you don't screw something up you never learn about it. Just try to keep it cheap.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:10 AM

If you did not hear a distinct clank or clack while turning you are good. You will not hurt a thing by now turning it CW. Take it easy and if it don';t get hung up, which I don't think it will based on what you say you did, it'll be fine. If you get resistance don;t force it and start removing the cover to re-time. I think you are worried about nothing.

Quick Reply: Stupid Move -COUNTER CLOCKWISE Harmonic balancer blues.