General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Testing an automatic HHR.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:25 PM

Testing an automatic HHR.

The steadfast refusal of my truck to be fixed by my mechanical abilities has netted me relinquishing it to more knowledgeable hands. As I did not have the time to organize a caravan of three vehicles to get the truck in the shop, and then to work, I elected to grab a rental car. I was handed the keys to a red HHR LT automatic. So far, I've managed to end up putting the car in neutral twice on the two mile hop to work from the dealership, going for a shifter that does not work the same way as I'm used to.

The rental HHR had a freshly filled tank, so I reset the MPG computer, and am curious to see what kind of mileage I can get out of it on the way home from work tonight. I'll have to take pictures of the "twin" HHRs in the driveway in the morning.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:32 PM

It took me about a month to stop tryin to shift my auto lol. I still catch myself looking for that 3rd pedal when I get in to start it up
Old 01-12-2010, 06:27 AM

I do it also. I get in my wifes and reach for the clutch and shifter.

Funny, even if I drive an auto for a week or so and then get back in mine, I never forget to do what's "natural".
Old 01-12-2010, 10:46 AM

After the drive home, I do think that I like mine better. Automatics just plain ol' bore me to drive. Mine is an LS and I think I like the interior of mine better. Mine is the Ebony, and this one is the grey. All I can see it doing is quickly getting dirty. While I like the seat bottom better, the way that the power seat is set up in the rental would have been enough to send me away had mine had this seat. I've fiddled with that seat almost the whole time that I've been in the car, and the combination of a power bottom, and manual back just keep putting pressure points on my lower back that I cannot resolve.

Fuel mileage is less by about 2 - 3 mpg over what I get. The DIC was showing 30.8mpg when I pulled into my driveway. Not bad for an auto, but Mr. Frugal likes my numbers better.

It is fun to see two of these cars in the driveway, however.

It will be sad when GM kills this vehicle. They just look so damn cool.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:51 AM

Before I got my HHR I had trained myself to brake the automatics that I was stuck with driving by using my left foot.I wanted to have something for my left foot to do while driving those slushboxes.When I got my 5 speed HHR I fell right back into right foot braking.On the now rare occasion that I drive an automatic I revert to left foot braking.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:23 AM

It's been 25 years since I drove a manual transmission car on a regular basis, yet I still grip the auto shifter like it's a stick shift.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Former Sponsor

after double clutchin for 13 hours a day..you REALLY appreciate the auto..once you stop lookin for the clutch!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by pyro panel
after double clutchin for 13 hours a day..you REALLY appreciate the auto..once you stop lookin for the clutch!!!

When I drove tractor-trailers, I only used the clutch for stopping & starting. Much less leg wear, especially if your driving intown.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
When I drove tractor-trailers, I only used the clutch for stopping & starting. Much less leg wear, especially if your driving intown.
Same here. I actually still drive the Isuzu truck in the same manner. It's REALLY easy to shift without the clutch in that truck.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:46 PM

MX shifter

Originally Posted by wolfman
Same here. I actually still drive the Isuzu truck in the same manner. It's REALLY easy to shift without the clutch in that truck.
Same with my dirt bike. I only use the clutch to start & stop. OK I fan the clutch to get the revs up coming out of a turn.
Motocross bikes have bevel cut gears to ease clutchless shifting under full throttle!

Quick Reply: Testing an automatic HHR.