General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Is there a cheaper trailer hitch for HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 11:01 PM

Is there a cheaper trailer hitch for HHR?

As usual, I search for months for alternatives to the commonly accepted way to do things. This time it's the trailer hitch. Since I have both the HHR and Cobalt, and am stating to design and build a semi-teardrop trailer for them to share, I've got to decide on which hitch to get. The question at hand is why buy a $158 Curt #11447 hitch, my first choice, common to both vehicles @ e-trailer, when they show a cheaper $98 Draw-Tite #2745 ? If the full size hitches are the same, why not get the cheaper Cobalt listed one? By the way, a couple of Cobalt listings have the HHR pictured instead. Anyone see why not to use the $98 model? As planned, the trailer weight will be under 800 lbs. loaded.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:18 PM

How do the two compare in terms of quality? There could be significant differences in the thickness of materials or the strength of the welds. There could be differences in the finished coating applied to both as well which could lead to one rusting more then the other.

The cheaper one could be priced lower for any number of reason.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Deceased

Maybe your best bet would be to contact both Curt and Draw-Tite and see what the differences might be. Even though the Cobalt and HHR are Delta platform cousins, it doesn't seem right that a Cobalt hitch would be a straight bolt on for the HHR...but I might be wrong on that.

Now its time for the people who tow to check in on this...hint, hint.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by working on it
As usual, I search for months for alternatives to the commonly accepted way to do things. This time it's the trailer hitch. Since I have both the HHR and Cobalt, and am stating to design and build a semi-teardrop trailer for them to share, I've got to decide on which hitch to get. The question at hand is why buy a $158 Curt #11447 hitch, my first choice, common to both vehicles @ e-trailer, when they show a cheaper $98 Draw-Tite #2745 ? If the full size hitches are the same, why not get the cheaper Cobalt listed one? By the way, a couple of Cobalt listings have the HHR pictured instead. Anyone see why not to use the $98 model? As planned, the trailer weight will be under 800 lbs. loaded.
It's about quality level ..... Go Curt.

08 Cobalt shows 2 different style hitches depending in model.

Make sure you have the right one for a combination fit.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:45 PM

I bought Hidden Hitch, money does matter on some things. Cheap hitch is what you want? Whoops Something just fell off on the car behind me. OOOOh insurance claim.....
Old 09-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Rest In Peace

I bought the Curt through Amazon.

Easy install, made very well. If the quick link chain links weren't on it, youd barely notice it in this pic.

Name:  b18edc0e.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  62.1 KB
Old 09-28-2011, 05:41 PM

Be sure the receiver comes with the hitch.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
Be sure the receiver comes with the hitch.
Good point. You get this one with the Curt. You gotta buy your own Ball tho.
The Curt is made extremely well, the frame will rip out before the hitch itself lets go.
Name:  a3c0a2cc.jpg
Views: 1420
Size:  61.1 KB

Name:  74bc91e9.jpg
Views: 1420
Size:  58.5 KB
Old 09-29-2011, 05:56 AM

Then the hidden hitch and the curt hitch include the receiver. I got the Hidden hitch for that reason. the curt's were not out in late 2005. Also remember when buying a receiver there is a class 1 and class 2, the class 2 will not fit as the stub behind the hole is too long.
I posted a pic of the difference a couple years ago. Wow I have had my HHR for 6 years on Halloween.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:39 AM

I also have a hidden hitch on my HHR. I think it is very well put together and it seems to be good quality. I've only had it a few months so I'll have to give it some time to see if it starts to rust at all.

The only thing I noticed that was sort of weak was the pin that hold the ball bar into the receiver. After towing a somewhat heavy Uhaul trailer while helping my brother move I noticed that the pin had somehow lost some of it's "bend" and I was afraid that it might continue to straighten out which may have led to the pin popping out which would have been bad. A new pin was pretty cheap.

Quick Reply: Is there a cheaper trailer hitch for HHR?