General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Is there a cheaper trailer hitch for HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:56 AM

My hidden hitch has been on for 5 years now. No rust at all.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:34 PM

this is probably a long shot...but does anyone know if the cobalt hitch/receiver (Uhaul part #26430) will fit our HHRs?

theres a local selling one for dirt cheap on craigslist and if itll bolt on (or fit with minimal mods) i plan on swiping it. any ideas? wasnt sure if anyone had used that particular hitch or not
Old 07-19-2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
I also have a hidden hitch on my HHR. I think it is very well put together and it seems to be good quality. I've only had it a few months so I'll have to give it some time to see if it starts to rust at all.

The only thing I noticed that was sort of weak was the pin that hold the ball bar into the receiver. After towing a somewhat heavy Uhaul trailer while helping my brother move I noticed that the pin had somehow lost some of it's "bend" and I was afraid that it might continue to straighten out which may have led to the pin popping out which would have been bad. A new pin was pretty cheap.
My hidden hitch was put on 2 weeks after I bought it. No rust at all. I purchased a locking pin, I never used the one that came with the reciever. I didn't want my billet hitch cover to leave from unwanting sources.

But you are in a very different climate, but I did live on the coast for a couple of years with mine.

EDIT: didn't see this was from a year ago....
Old 07-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by (tabs)
this is probably a long shot...but does anyone know if the cobalt hitch/receiver (Uhaul part #26430) will fit our HHRs?

theres a local selling one for dirt cheap on craigslist and if itll bolt on (or fit with minimal mods) i plan on swiping it. any ideas? wasnt sure if anyone had used that particular hitch or not
Call a local U-Haul place and Ask them.

IF not, I would NOT do any "minimal mods" to make it fit.

Your asking for a lawsuit if something should happen, on You for modding it.

They aren't expensive and used ones come up on here.

The Curt hitch through Amazon is $147.00 shipped and the plug and play wiring harness is 25 bucks. Both are an Easy install.

Better to be Safe than sorry.

IF it's a direct Fit, then by all means nab it.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:03 AM
Premium Member

I bought one here for 100.00 and it wasn't used, still isn't.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:18 PM

I have a Hidden Hitch. It has been on the car for over a year and has worked great. I got mine from etrailer, I think.. will have to go back and check. When I was checking I found many didn't come with the reciever and they were extra. They go on easy, you just have to have enough ground clearence to get it over the muffler. The lighting kit is super easy. It took me more time to clean out the back and remove the pannels than to install it. I have been well sasitified.
Ron
Old 08-31-2013, 06:42 PM

Necro!!!

A friend and I mounted a Curt receiver on Herman this week. It took longer to get our stuff together than it took to actually mount the thing. I'll do the wiring when I can get to it, and we'll be able to tow the jon boat again. Yay! I'd also like to pick up a light utility trailer as well.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 AM

I have 2 hhrs a 2010 and 211 one with a draw tie and another with a curt and they look the same in design , welds and sytle and installation. they are easy on about 45 minutes . Good luck I will post some pic laters . the wiring take about 20 minutes to self install
Old 09-06-2013, 08:53 AM

My 2 cents, All trailer hitch's sold in the US have to meet federal spec's I believe, and as this is a sue crazy I would assume all manufacture's would follow the spec's. IMO the big difference will be if it is painted or powder coated, and thicker material.. All which meets the federal guideline's.. A Class 1 towing Cap of aprox 2000 lbs and a class 2 at aprox 3500 lbs ,and class 3,4 5 rating higher tow weight. I will be going to a Class 2 just because it is a heavier made unit, even though I will never tow 3500 lbs,, makes me feel better :)
Old 09-07-2013, 01:36 AM

I bought a Curt hitch. The ball mount {what we used to call the draw bar} was to high for my trailer. Turning it the other way made it hit the ground to much so I bought a straight one at Walmart.

Naturally by the time I got the straight one the nut on the ball had been smashed into the pavement enough times that it was frozen solid with rust so I got a new ball too.

I still have the ball mount that came with the hitch, it works well with a dump box trailer I sometimes borrow. That trailer has regular 15” wheels and sits higher off the ground than my little utility trailer.

Quick Reply: Is there a cheaper trailer hitch for HHR?