General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Thinking about an HHR...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:06 PM

Thinking about an HHR...

Hi folks, new guy here

I'm a Cavalier owner (two at the moment... one heavily modified, the other is the stock'ish daily driver). I'm seriously considering trading in the daily for a HHR... since my Mum works at GM, I'll get a good deal on it!

What I'd like to know... seeing as you all own them already.. if you were to buy another, what model & options would you get?? LS, LT or 2LT?

I'm a big fan of sleepers... nice and fast, but relatively stock outside.. maybe some nice paint work, but nothing insane. I considered getting the Vibe, and slapping the TRD supercharger on it... so, my HHR option is the LS with the 2.2L Ecotec, then add the GM s/c kit... assuming it'll work on the HHR. Or, waiting for the 08 HHR SS with the 2.0L turbo motor... or just swapping motors... (I'm not afraid to do that!!)

The two options that I know I want... and don't want to install on my own... a 5 speed (done that swap on the Cavalier.. rather save the money and buy a 5 speed to start with this time!) and a sunroof...

I know the sport suspension is an option... but I have no problem swapping springs and struts, adding sway bars, etc to beef up the suspension... so, if I'm going to swap it anyway... why pay GM for it?

I'd rather get custom leather and install it myself. The only thing I'd kinda like is having the 8-way power and heated seats the LT offers... maybe I can find a set of power seats later, and get the custom leather with a heater as well... hmmm...

Then I was thinking, why pay GM for the 7-speaker Pioneer system... when it's probably cheaper to just install an aftermarket deck and my own speakers... then I looked at how cheap it is to add the option... so I think I might stick with that.. how nice does it sound?

Or the Sun & Sound package? I guess that's everything I want in one easy package...

Wheels I would definitely change... I hate most stock GM wheels...

Then I'd probably paint it something like this one: http://www.mobilewhack.com/38-2007-c...-hhr-panel.jpg cuz I think it looks pretty mint

So... opinions? Helpful advice? "Don't do it you crazy fool!!!" ha ha...

...j
Old 06-04-2007, 10:14 PM

Don't do it you crazy fool!!!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:15 PM

If you want fast, you need to buy fast. Wait for the turbo. It's cheaper to buy a turbo than to put one in. Plus a factory turbo is warranty friendly.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:23 PM

Do you know 06chevyHHR??? If not you two need to get know each other!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:18 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by oneton
Do you know 06chevyHHR??? If not you two need to get know each other!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:23 PM

Well, jlenko, welcome to the forum.
IMO, 1st, You may want to wait for the SS, The s/c kit won't go on the HHR, (Computer Programming).
2nd, you can order the LS with the 5 speed, but I'm sure Chevy will only offer the SS in a LT package, and more than likely the sport suspension will be available on it as standard.
3rd, The HHR only has the driver seat as a power seat, so, I'd go for the cloth seats and upgrade to a better leather seat, I'm sure there are options on the open market for heated seats. Maybe you could find another seat in a salvage yard that was power in order to have both seats being how you will be recovering it anyway.
4th The (Pioneer) sound system in the HHR is OK for the average commuter, but I have a feeling you are really wanting a kick from your system, go with the cheap radio and buy and install an after market system, with the amps and everything, an idea, if your going to redo the seats, maybe a DVD player with the screens in the back of the head rests.
5th The sunroof is an option again, I'd say would be available on the SS.
6th Order the standard wheels for your ride if you don't like GM wheels, getting to be a lot of nice looking wheels available for the HHR now and by the time the SS comes along.
If GM and Chevrolet hold true to form, the SS may be a rather hefty option package, we'll just have to wait and see, but then, you could always buy an 07 and when the SS came out wait for a salvage yard to get a SS in and buy it and change everything over to yours. In the meantime you could be doing other mods to yours as while you wait for the SS.
The LS and the LT look the same except for the emblems, I'd say the SS will be badged the same, so your option, sleeper?...well the emblems are glued on the LT's and LS's, so you can always debadge it.
If I were to buy another HHR, which I would if I could, I'd get one of the limited editions or one of the panels to be different. The Pioneer system in mine sounds good for me, but I'm 56 and don't have the best of hearing but can enjoy mine all the same. but feel I probably could in a regular system. I also have the XM option that I probably wouldn't get next time. The Sunroof is nice, the suspension is not too stiff, but is, GM's sport suspension, and it rides good to me. It doesn't have a sway bar in the rear though. The heated leather seats are nice, and after I put mine in position, I never move it again unless I put a rather large person in the back and try to help in the rear seat leg room area. The 2.4 Auto is really more than I'd expected from a 4 cylinder, but not a power house by any means. The auto can be used as a manual with a solid shift when manually shifted. I've got the Polished chrome 17" wheels on mine, I like them, more than I really need, but they do look great to me, but I could also live with the 16" Polished wheels too. My sunroof is really nice in the summer, can really keep it cooler inside when the sun is out and it's sitting outside, but is noisy in the full open position while driving highway speed.
The options and the list of mods will be endless, regardless, have fun with the HHR, it already is a fun car to drive, it just plain looks and drives cool to me. There have been quit a few nice mods done by the folks on this forum, have fun, and again, welcome.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:28 PM

Don't mind the inside joke...........

Welcome to the forum.

Don't know how to start on all your questions but I'll keep it simple. There is not much right now performance wise for either HHR engine. You can get the 2.4 to about 210-215 pretty easy if you believe what each company says their mod will give you in added HP. The 2.2 I'm not as familiar with. I do know that the later 2007 2.2 can be tuned now. The main issue with them is tuning the computers for turbos and such. No one has a bolt-on that has shown it can be driven daily. The 2.4 has the added difficulty of VVT. If your in no hurry, I'd say wait for the SS that MIGHT be made. GM had not announved it officially yet. The only official 2008 info is a few color changes and even then no one is sure if they are actual new colors or just new names for the same colors.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:25 AM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 62
Size:  5.6 KB to the site jlenko!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 06:47 AM
jx3

Name:  welcome-1.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  7.8 KB

With all those mods in mind, sounds like a stripped down LS would be the way to go. Oh yeah, don't forget to get the factory sunroof.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:30 AM

I love my LS, but then, until now I’ve always driven piles of crap so of course it feels amazing!

That being said, performance and the HHR are still strangers to each other – unless you want to spend A TON of cash. The HHR is a great ride if you want to do appearance and stereo mods on a great looking car that has good fuel economy and reasonable performance. If you want a fast GM product in the price range you’re looking at, why not a Cobalt SS Supercharged? You’d still want to mod the stereo, but everything else is pretty sweet right out of the box – with a full warranty!

I’m not trying to dissuade you from an HHR, but you might want to think about how much performance you want first…

Food for thought; Cobalt SS Supercharged with GM Performance Upgrades:
Stock – 205hp
Stage 1 – 230hp
Stage 2 – 245hp
Stage 3 upgrade has 248hp on 93 Octane and up to 260hp on 100 Octane.

Those numbers are right out of the GM Performance Catalogue.

Quick Reply: Thinking about an HHR...