General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Thinking of buying an HHR

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:52 AM

Thinking of buying an HHR

Ill say first, I dont have an HHR yet, so no welcome smileys required.
Im shopping around for a new vehicle and was liking the uplander van, but the HHR caught my eye - an '08 black/black base model with roof rails and remote start. If I can get the price bargained down to the same as the van, then it will be mine shortly. I dont usually haul a lot of people, just one kid so far, but I would like to be able to pack boxes/suitcases or throw a couple bikes in the back for a day outside. I was also looking at a malibu maxx, but GM decided to drop it, a shame really.
Im mostly looking for any info on the vehicle relating to problems off the lot.
My last car was a 2003 cavalier which I had to bring back many times for small but annoying issues since new, such as leaks, fan noise, irregular steering, assembly problems etc that the dealership just couldnt fix. It would have turned me off chevy for good if I didnt have a '97 cavalier that runs perfect to this day.
So Im looking for HHR feedback (as unbiased as possible) from you guys. How are you liking it?

And let me say, Ive browsed the forums a bit, you seem to have a great site here for owners, lots of good info and modding inspiration.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:24 AM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 34
Size:  5.6 KB to the site anyways . Below are a few threads for you to browse.

Want to buy an HHR but...
Considering an HHR. Need to state my feelings
Ok so really....How many of you owners....
Old 12-14-2007, 07:29 AM

WELCOME, you don't need a HHR to be on the site, at least I hope not or I will be removed. The HHR caught my eye also before it was in the showroom. I joined the forum to learn more about it and found I can rebuild one in my sleep , not quite but it's a great site just to kick back and lelax. Mid Jan maybe Feb is when I will get a 08 HHR 2Lt, it has been written in stone.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:35 AM
jx3

If you're looking for "trouble free" off the lot, HHR may not be the best choice.

Having bought a very early first year production model (purchased 9/05) I didn't expect it to be trouble free. It seems as if most of the bugs have been worked out, but not all. Some of the 07 owners have HHRs that have a few of the same problems. Don't know how much has really changed for 08.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:41 AM

Welcome prod! You are used to all of the little quirks with GM products, nothing's perfect! But typically, you'll get a bulletproof drivetrain & general reliability to get you where you want to go. Plus these are different looking than everything else on the road! Can't go wrong IMHO!
Old 12-14-2007, 12:40 PM

into the forum hope we'll change your mind to get one
Old 12-14-2007, 12:49 PM

Hey prod, I'd have to say that overall the HHR has turned out to be an okay vehicle. I have an 06 that I purchased in Sept 05 making it one of the very early production vehicles. There are a few problems I've had which have been taken care of under warranty. There are a few problems I am having that GM is not willing to take care of, these are mostly related to poor design or materials and I am told by them that it's either working as designed or all HHR's have that and so it's a characteristic feature of the vehicle.

I had a, pretty basic, Uplander for half a week as a loaner and I must say I like the space. I also had a Pontiac Montana SV6 which I really loved, compared to the Uplander it was a much better vehicle. It felt more solid and the interior was done up to a much higher level (I'm sure it's more pricey though.) The HHR does the job for me pretty well, but when I had the Montana it was nice to be able to pack it with 6 people for a hike instead of taking two vehicles.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:59 PM

i have an 07 hhr and it only has 3k miles and only been the shop 1 time and the brakes were bad it had lott rot and they have fixed it on the first try
I and verry happy with the car

I hope you get one also
David
Old 12-14-2007, 01:40 PM

I would say that the 08s probably have a good bit of the bugs worked out. Going on its 3rd year i would hope so.

I only have 400 miles on my 2007 HHR and I have had a dealer visit already.

On the plus side i have a GMC truck with a 2.2 liter engine that has been perfect for 70000 miles.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:05 PM

I have a 2007, not one problem, hope to get a SS soon. So here are your choices, buy a boring dependable Toyota (say baaa) or get a HHR so that driving is fun (for cheap) and you can have that stupid grin every time you drive it like the rest of us.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying an HHR