General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Was thinking of trading my HHR in....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 08:44 PM

I'm planning on keeping mine as long as I can (even if that is forever...) and buying another car when this is paid off. I have a 5 year loan (about 4 more years) and I owe a little over $9k. I don't think that's too bad for an '06 that I just bought less than a year ago.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:22 PM

Another nail in the coffin for an industry that American taxpayers had to bail out.

American industry is so done... Not a matter of where the cars are built. It's where the profit ends up.

At least Americans are helping out Japan as a world financial power. As stupid as we are, maybe they deserve it. Obviously they're alot smarter than Americans.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 87silver
Another nail in the coffin for an industry that American taxpayers had to bail out.

American industry is so done... Not a matter of where the cars are built. It's where the profit ends up.

At least Americans are helping out Japan as a world financial power. As stupid as we are, maybe they deserve it. Obviously they're alot smarter than Americans.
Yeah actually I did look at the Malibu ...and wondered loudly how that huge car can get to 55MPH with the same engine I had in the HHR......I decided on the Honda Accord Coupe.

I was totally against any bailout for GM on principle and will not support a State run or involved Auto company under any circumstances. Just made things harder for Ford which did not need any help. Unfortunately Ford has bland cars and few coupes except for the always aging Mustang. I don't think GM will survive even with the bailout.

I also take comfort in knowing my car was built by very happy non Union American workers in Ohio. Profits may go to Japan but they are reinvested back here in the US in creating factories and employment and buying US Treasuries which finance among other things State bailouts of Terribly managed and Union run Industries......
Old 10-27-2009, 11:21 PM

Got any links

I thought the government loan was just that, a loan and nothing more. Also need a link that shows Japan returning any money to the U.S.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by joeblue
i thought the government loan was just that, a loan and nothing more. Also need a link that shows japan returning any money to the u.s.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:49 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by joeblue
i thought the government loan was just that, a loan and nothing more. Also need a link that shows japan returning any money to the u.s.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Banned

Come on guys....... Are you serious????

Since the start of the financial crisis, the U.S. government has put $50 billion into General Motors. After GM emerged from bankruptcy this year, the public owned 61 percent of the stock of the newly reconstituted company.

How much of that $50 billion will the American taxpayer get back? CEO Fritz Henderson says business at GM is getting better, which is at least a hopeful sign for repayment. But the situation at GM is so complicated, Henderson says, that he can't say yet how much money GM will be able to return to the public coffers.

"Longtime auto analyst John Casesa has crunched the numbers we have. He says GM would have to do everything right, in a strong economy, to pay back what it owes.Meanwhile, a Congressional Oversight Panel report says the government estimates it will get back less than half the money it used to bail out GM and Chrysler.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2009/10
/podcast_can_gm_ever_pay_us_bac.

AS for Japanese Investments in the US ..Until last September the Japanese were the LARGEST investors in the US!!!

Here is one of many many links......

http://meganmcardle.theatlantic.com/...tors_think.php

Forty percent of Japanese investors said there is a risk that the U.S. government will default on its debt, a survey published by Barclays Capital showed.

Almost 34 percent of the 66 respondents in the poll sent to Japanese institutional investors from Jan. 26 to Jan. 28 said there is a "significant" or "slight" risk that the U.S. will lose its AAA sovereign debt rating this year. Twenty-two percent said they were concerned about the credit risk of German government bonds. China surpassed Japan in September to become the biggest foreign holder of U.S. Treasuries.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Japan...ient=firefox-a
Old 10-28-2009, 07:28 AM

Kingfrog.... Read "Why GM Matters" by William J. Holstein.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Kingfrog.... Read "Why GM Matters" by William J. Holstein.
Interesting.....
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/31/op...1holstein.html

I agree GM matters.IBM matters, Boeing matters, Proctor and Gamble matters, but I disagree The Government should be in the car business and should determine what cars to make, how many MPG they should get and who should be the CEO. I just don't support Government bailout of shoddy management practices, Union extortion, and dishonest Dealer practices. Whether a brokerage or a manufacturer. The banks are another story ( the failure of the financial system would affect everyone directly and immediately)
I can almost support Government support to the roots of the financial system.

Bear Sterns and many other banks and brokerages failed and were allowed to with little mass effect. GM is not nearly what it was. I know more people who refuse to buy a car from "US Motors" than not on principle. Ford is exempted from the same contempt. Ford should pick up the slack.

Its not like suddenly all the GM cars that would have been made will not be sold by another healthy US company like Ford.

The automobile buyer base will still be there. Ford will get a lot of the buyers if they can design cars people want. Honda and the imports will build more plants and hire more people (albeit at reasonable salaries for their education levels currently being paid to their workers and management.)
Suppliers will still need to supply the automakers with parts..a Ford or Toyota Dealer will replace a GM dealer on the Street. People will move to work at the new places.

The UAW and GM upper management will be the big losers in the end. They caused the mess anyway in my view. The workers didn't. The workers took what they were given and did not know any better......Many still don't '
"get it."
Old 10-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Kingfrog
Yeah actually I did look at the Malibu ...and wondered loudly how that huge car can get to 55MPH with the same engine I had in the HHR......I decided on the Honda Accord Coupe.
Too bad you screwed up on that descision.

Quick Reply: Was thinking of trading my HHR in....