General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Was thinking of trading my HHR in....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Too bad you screwed up on that descision.
Word, the Mailbu gets up to speed a hell of a lot better than the Accord or Camary...... Even the Hybrid one we have at work.

Better mileage, better warranty, Looks one hell of a lot better, better fit and finish inside and out, THe current accord is plagued with quality control problems. Good luck.....

Malibu a huge car? It's a compact.....
Old 10-28-2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kingfrog
Interesting.....
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/31/op...1holstein.html

I agree GM matters.IBM matters, Boeing matters, Proctor and Gamble matters, but I disagree The Government should be in the car business and should determine what cars to make, how many MPG they should get and who should be the CEO. I just don't support Government bailout of shoddy management practices, Union extortion, and dishonest Dealer practices. Whether a brokerage or a manufacturer. The banks are another story ( the failure of the financial system would affect everyone directly and immediately)
I can almost support Government support to the roots of the financial system.

Bear Sterns and many other banks and brokerages failed and were allowed to with little mass effect. GM is not nearly what it was. I know more people who refuse to buy a car from "US Motors" than not on principle. Ford is exempted from the same contempt. Ford should pick up the slack.

Its not like suddenly all the GM cars that would have been made will not be sold by another healthy US company like Ford.

The automobile buyer base will still be there. Ford will get a lot of the buyers if they can design cars people want. Honda and the imports will build more plants and hire more people (albeit at reasonable salaries for their education levels currently being paid to their workers and management.)
Suppliers will still need to supply the automakers with parts..a Ford or Toyota Dealer will replace a GM dealer on the Street. People will move to work at the new places.

The UAW and GM upper management will be the big losers in the end. They caused the mess anyway in my view. The workers didn't. The workers took what they were given and did not know any better......Many still don't '
"get it."
Something had to be done with all these Companies not just GM but the entire business, So yes if the Companies can't get there head out of there Ass its the Gov't job to get involved and watch them, cause apparently they couldn't do it over the last 2 decades. Call it what u want but someone has to step in and give a push.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:34 AM

I agree GM matters.IBM matters, Boeing matters, Proctor and Gamble matters, but I disagree The Government should be in the car business and should determine what cars to make, how many MPG they should get and who should be the CEO. I just don't support Government bailout of shoddy management practices, Union extortion, and dishonest Dealer practices. Whether a brokerage or a manufacturer. The banks are another story ( the failure of the financial system would affect everyone directly and immediately)
I can almost support Government support to the roots of the financial system.
It's the financial system that started all the problems. Lending money to those that can't afford to pay it back. Homes, cars, 80" tv's. If your gonna *****, get the facts straight first.

If you don't like the gov in the car business. Start walking then. Toyota and Honda were "bailed" out by their government. They also fired the CEO's for piss poor management decisions. Dishonest dealerships? Please, you should no better, but you don't it seems. That has nothing to do with the manufactor, and they all have that problem someplace. I sometimes wonder if it's the customer, and not the dealership.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Too bad you screwed up on that descision.
You see trade in values for the Malibu lately??? I will go out on a limb here and venture a 2 year old Honda would command a much larger trade price and is in higher demand than a similarly equipt Malibu. A quick perusal around Carmax and used car lots should bring that home.

After buying a less than one year old HHR for $10K under MSRP I understand where the value is with Chevy. New doesn't come to mind.
Not to mention the trips to the dealer for all too common issues some of which were never resolved.

Yeah the Malibu has more flash and stuff then the Honda and Toyota..But the dealership experience including Sales AND service tilt in favor of the Japanese brands.

I had to ask myself. Do I buy a $25,000 car from a Company on the brink of Bankruptcy looking to cut every corner to save a buck which revealed itself in the service department on my HHR when I needed warranty work......or buy a $28,000 car universally recognized as a quality vehicle with excellent manufacturer support, no rebates and rentals to crush resale value.

Tough Choice, I dispensed with bells and whistles and went with practical... You forget I had a Chevy for a couple years. Great car and fun car on the surface of things. Too many issues and things to be concerned about going wrong (like the moon roof wind deflector and rotors) for my tastes.

I don't want to have to worry about using a fbell or whistle
Old 10-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by solman98
It's the financial system that started all the problems. Lending money to those that can't afford to pay it back. Homes, cars, 80" tv's. If your gonna *****, get the facts straight first.

If you don't like the gov in the car business. Start walking then. Toyota and Honda were "bailed" out by their government. They also fired the CEO's for piss poor management decisions. Dishonest dealerships? Please, you should no better, but you don't it seems. That has nothing to do with the manufactor, and they all have that problem someplace. I sometimes wonder if it's the customer, and not the dealership.
Put the Kool-Aid down for a second there......You really need to do some research. Honda and Toyota asked for loans to BEEF UP CASH POSITIONS only to be able LOAN money to US Consumers.. Not to hold up a fledging organization which was sure to go bankrupt (and still is likely) !!! Are you kidding me with that argument? They had plenty of cash and no risk of failure......You cannot compare Honda and Toyota with GM on ANY level financially or otherwise....

There is a HUGE difference between Honda and Toyota asking for a bridge loan they can absolutely pay back with interest and the US government BAILING OUT a company from CERTAIN bankruptcy that has no guarantee of surviving even now and will never see all the money back unless Jupiter aligns with Mars?? Ya think?

I don't agree the lenders CAUSED the problems...I believe they were ENABLERS....Those who actually signed promise to pays for loans they did not understand or whose ignorance were taken advantage of..... those who financed three cars buying one new one with easy money and signed the contracts are the CAUSE....The buck stoped with the INDIVIDUAL'S signature at the bottom of a contract they most likely did not take the timne to read.l

The auto industry enabled people to buy cars on 72 MONTH loans.....Is that practical? Really? They screwed themselves....I bought my Honda at 1.9% for 36 months and had a $9000 trade..

BTW Which CEO was fired from Honda or Toyota...All I can find are executive changes but all are still employed with their respective companies....
Old 10-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Founding Member

You see trade in values for the Malibu lately???
You made out like a bandit on the sale of your HHR. So who's the fool now? Or rather who's the last member I banned. Look into the mirror.

Your constant tirades on "How GM Done You Wrong" are only flame posts and you are an official troller now. Buh Bye.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:01 PM

BTW Which CEO was fired from Honda or Toyota...All I can find are executive changes but all are still employed with their respective companies....
Going from a desk to a broom is their way of firing you.

I like kool aid, and it's legal compared to the stuff your on.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:26 PM

I have to disagree with him...even though he isn't here. I mean, if the government never gets involved with things, isn't that sorta like deregulation? And isn't deregulation (of the banks) what got us in a bunch of trouble?

Sure too much government is like big brother, but none and all hell breaks loose! Especially coming from a Midwest (GM) region, I firsthand know how devastating it would be to our economy if GM were to have failed. Not only all the workers would be out of jobs, but the stores where they shopped would close and let people go, who wouldn't shop, causing more stores to close, and the chain goes on.

If he were to have read Why GM Matters, he would have found a little more info than the title... It explains why it matters, and how Japaneese companies make cars in the US sure, but most money goes back to Japan. It explained how so many people are involved with a car other than production...and if all those people are in Japan, that outweighs making the car here 10 to 1 at least!
Old 10-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

I was raised on Chevrolets', Harley Davidsons' and Apple Pie.... I don't plan any changes.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
I have to disagree with him...even though he isn't here. I mean, if the government never gets involved with things, isn't that sorta like deregulation? And isn't deregulation (of the banks) what got us in a bunch of trouble?

Sure too much government is like big brother, but none and all hell breaks loose! Especially coming from a Midwest (GM) region, I firsthand know how devastating it would be to our economy if GM were to have failed. Not only all the workers would be out of jobs, but the stores where they shopped would close and let people go, who wouldn't shop, causing more stores to close, and the chain goes on.

If he were to have read Why GM Matters, he would have found a little more info than the title... It explains why it matters, and how Japaneese companies make cars in the US sure, but most money goes back to Japan. It explained how so many people are involved with a car other than production...and if all those people are in Japan, that outweighs making the car here 10 to 1 at least!
I think we see eye to eye on the bank situation. Yes, the consumer did the no-no if he can't pay back the loan. But IMO it's the bank that never should have given them the loan. I know lots of people that spent just for the hell of it. Never cared what their credit score was. 20% intereste rate, who cares. Then again, the banks should have said no. Houses, the boom went for how long? I know I said years ago, sooner or later, there are going to be too many houses on the market and it will crash. Banks should have never lent out so much money to builders. Then it happened, it all came to a screaching hault pretty much.

US auto's suffered cause no one was buying, no money, no job,etc. I like those that think the imports were not affected, look at their market share. They got a bailout from their government, but that was in the back of the paper, not headlines like GM and Crysler. Ford hid in the dark, thinking they were so lucky to have borrowed out the ass before all this happend. In the end, I hope they make it, if not, they will suffer the most IMO.

Just like the Lexus that killed 4 people due to the driver not being able to shut it down after the gas pedal wedged under the additional floor mat the dealer put in (loaner vehicle) to keep it clean. Drive destroyed the brakes cause he was running over 120 mph and could not stop. SInce it was a loaner, he didn't know he had to hold the "off" button on the dash for 3 seconds to kill the motor. Dealership failed to tell him that. Definatly makes me want to keep a key verses pushbutton start.

And how much medial had that made? Toyota annonced a recall.... Toyota, oh what a feeling......

Quick Reply: Was thinking of trading my HHR in....