General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Tie rod gone after ONE year ? Anyone else??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:17 AM

When I lived in NY, the yearly inspection idea was good, but it seemed that the inspectors always found something to pad the bill. Headlight alignment, tie rods, ball joints etc. At that time (1970s) the inspection fee was ~$10, but you could always find a station that for $20, you could get a sticker.

The inspection would find light bulbs out which are nice to have working order. How many times have you followed a car with no brake light?

I'm more suspicious of dealer mechanics who get paid by the job. A tie-rod is a relatively easy job and the mechanic gets extra $. At $75/hour labor charge and overpriced parts, it can gets to be sort of a scam.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:11 AM

Anyways I didn't think it was right for it to go in under one year...

That was my point... I don't give a **** that the oil change was free and the tie rod is free and all I lost was my time.

I give a **** that I paid $25,000 for a new car and stuff is going in under one year.

1. Didn't need the oil change ANYTIME soon.
2. Damn right they are going to fix the tie rod... it's under one year old.

I don't know why some people are flaming me for this...
I have always owned brand new GM cars and always will... unless I can't get through one year without problems.

MY whole point to the topic was... ASKING others if it was a common problem!
I didn't ask to get put down, I asked if anyone else had the problem.

A mod can lock this now.... I don't have time to waste getting people tell ME of all people not to put GM down...
Old 02-09-2008, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Hey Eldon....

I'm confused about the "yearly inspection", "government regulated" and "regulated fees". What is this that you are speaking of?
In New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, you are required to have an annual inspection (road worthiness) in order to get your plates renewed.

The places that do the inspections are "government regulated" and the inspection fee is determined by the provincial government.

The idea behind the annual inspections is to keep the junk heaps off the road.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
When I lived in NY, the yearly inspection idea was good, but it seemed that the inspectors always found something to pad the bill. Headlight alignment, tie rods, ball joints etc. At that time (1970s) the inspection fee was ~$10, but you could always find a station that for $20, you could get a sticker.

The inspection would find light bulbs out which are nice to have working order. How many times have you followed a car with no brake light?

I'm more suspicious of dealer mechanics who get paid by the job. A tie-rod is a relatively easy job and the mechanic gets extra $. At $75/hour labor charge and overpriced parts, it can gets to be sort of a scam.
They never seem to do anything about the many vehicles that are driving about with much of the structural bodywork missing from rust, I'm sure that in a crash many of the vehicles I see would crumble to pieces on the slightest impact.
My Chevy dealer replaced the air filter on the Camaro last time it went for inspection without me asking for anything other than an inspection, and it had only been in for 10000 miles, but I won't complain, my Dodge dealer managed to fail it for some nonsense every single year. One year it failed for a cracked fanbelt, they are always cracked, from being forced to turn at subzero temperatures, but there was no rubber missing.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eldon
Anyways I didn't think it was right for it to go in under one year...

That was my point... I don't give a **** that the oil change was free and the tie rod is free and all I lost was my time.

I give a **** that I paid $25,000 for a new car and stuff is going in under one year.

1. Didn't need the oil change ANYTIME soon.
2. Damn right they are going to fix the tie rod... it's under one year old.

I don't know why some people are flaming me for this...
I have always owned brand new GM cars and always will... unless I can't get through one year without problems.

MY whole point to the topic was... ASKING others if it was a common problem!
I didn't ask to get put down, I asked if anyone else had the problem.

A mod can lock this now.... I don't have time to waste getting people tell ME of all people not to put GM down...
You of all people? Wow, you really have a high opinion of yourself for someone who comes in here using the language of a twelve-year old to whine about a free oil change and a faulty part replaced under warranty. Honestly, if you're so dim as to think that a car shouldn't have ANY problems at all in the first year, and if it does, it's crap, you probably shouldn't be allowed to drive, vote, or even reproduce.

If you want to find out if people are having tie rod problems, post a question in the technical area, preferably without the whining about big bad GM doing you a favor.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:35 PM

Nobody is flaming you, Eldon. Sorry if my post came across as such. If that got your blood boiling, then you should see what I deal with on the exotic car forums... makes this place look like Disneyland :)
Old 02-09-2008, 10:14 PM

Only one person is coming off as flaming... and he is making a POINT to do so....

I will be the bigger man and let be since he is just another one of "those" people on a message board who like to fight with people.

Anyways thanks to everyone who was helpful. :)
Old 02-09-2008, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
You of all people? Wow, you really have a high opinion of yourself for someone who comes in here using the language of a twelve-year old to whine about a free oil change and a faulty part replaced under warranty. Honestly, if you're so dim as to think that a car shouldn't have ANY problems at all in the first year, and if it does, it's crap, you probably shouldn't be allowed to drive, vote, or even reproduce.

If you want to find out if people are having tie rod problems, post a question in the technical area, preferably without the whining about big bad GM doing you a favor.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:47 PM

To put this all in perspective...

"Things could be worse."

Imagine buying a $60k Japanese vehicle, having major issues & they tell you "it's your fault." No warranty repair, no free oil change... just the sinking feeling of being the world's biggest sucker :)

ASk me how I know...
Old 02-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eldon
Only one person is coming off as flaming... and he is making a POINT to do so....

I will be the bigger man and let be since he is just another one of "those" people on a message board who like to fight with people.
YOU were the one who was making a POINT to come in here and whine about a faulty part that was replaced for FREE, along with a complete refund of a regular maintenance item! Don't pretend to be the bigger man when YOU were the one who stirred up the honeypot in the first place. These boards already turn a lot of people off the HHR or plant unwarranted concern in their heads because of the sheer number of people here complaining over NOTHING.

Yeah, I AM the guy on the board who will call BS every time some lugnut come on here and either complains about nothing. These are complex mechanical devices and they WILL break at some point. To assume otherwise for this or any other make or model of car is foolish.

Quick Reply: Tie rod gone after ONE year ? Anyone else??