General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Time Out Dolls... do you have one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

REDFLYR....

Curious as to how many points were deducted for the NON original battery and how many were deducted for a repo battery ????

A number of years ago, a friend had a 68' stang, all original except the battery. In a show, he lost first place position because of that darn battery. He searched hard for an original "carcass" battery and paid really big bucks for it to be rebuilt so you couldn't tell (if you remember the batteries in those days, they were a heavier rubber material). It took him about 4 months to locate unbroken/uncracked OEM cell caps, to complete the job.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:18 AM

wasn t judged... "display". two years ago the Malibu was pointed at 97.2 took points off mostly for undercarriage dirt. points in "driven"
Old 06-03-2008, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
REDFLYR....

Curious as to how many points were deducted for the NON original battery and how many were deducted for a repo battery ????

A number of years ago, a friend had a 68' stang, all original except the battery. In a show, he lost first place position because of that darn battery. He searched hard for an original "carcass" battery and paid really big bucks for it to be rebuilt so you couldn't tell (if you remember the batteries in those days, they were a heavier rubber material). It took him about 4 months to locate unbroken/uncracked OEM cell caps, to complete the job.
probably a OME reproduction would have been cheaper... faster and only counted as a tie breaker... we have a big pony show in Belvue each year. those guys are really anal... even back that hotels their in the parking lots ragging on each other... that is fun to watch. laugh my a s off. i am sure that fist fights break out after a few beers.

you look at all most any Chevell today and the thing has reproduction parts... there is only one Gen2 Camaro that I know of that has the original paper tags... (One Owner) normally they don t take off for consumables such as plugs, points, belts unless your showing concours... I don t with the Malibu. The key is to present the car looking as close to the way it came out of the factory... The first JCNA show JS&Me did we lost 2+ points for dirty tires. ??? didn t clean the rocks and grass out of the tire tread.

The Malibu is preserved not restored... so the idea is to keep it looking like would have looked in the early 70s with no modifications. When we purchased the Malibu it only had 27,900 original miles... we are the forth owners... original owner, his son, Mr Mouw and JS&Me. only mods to this car were the son (2nd owner) replaced the 14" wheels and put on dual exhaust. Two years ago we put the 14" ralleys back on with Firestone bias white wall tires. Remeber now why erveyone changed to radials when they came out. We put dated plug wire on it this winter. The hoses and belts are being replaced with "dated or Delco marked" OEM reproduction parts this month. this is Joan's car so i try and make it nice for her to show. she use to drive it to work every day before we retired.

end game... the more original the better... most frame off only look original... lots of clones out there... the judges catch those most of the time... engines a totally different story with GM. Judges will ding for engine models... **** if GM was out of one engine they would just go over to another line and grab one... my 69 elCamino ss396 was a 325hp number matched mostly orginal car... the carb however was stamped for a manual tran mine was TH400. right dates and configuration... almost positive that it came with the car but couldn t prove it... talked to most of the previous owners... no one ever changed the carb. so what do you do. don t say anything... maybe the judges won t look. lvd that car it was a rocket. eyes gone... car gone.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by lordairgtar
I like doggies! Been going to car shows since 1983 and I have yet to see a "bad" dog or step in any poo. Someone did bring a baby alligator once that got away, you never seen so much running and screaming. The cops came and captured the 18 inch long gator and arrested the dude for possessing an endangered animal. Kittehs are nice too. Helper dogs and therapy dogs RAWK!!!
SUNNY my buddy... never had any formal training as a helper but... they let him stay/visit with me while i was ICU (two different hospitals) for about two weeks about four years ago... since then we have taken him to hospitals/ICUs for people we know... be nice to the ICU nurses and generally they are ok with SUNNY. also we take him to retirement and nursing homes. He can be really really friendly or really really calm.

SUNNY is my "FIND IT" dog... i drop something... next thing he is peaking at me around a corner... looking around the floor... ears up... waiting for me to say "SHOW ME" he starts putting his nose on things until he finds what i am looking for... normally a pill or a nut or bolt. HE is my garage helper too.

Joan lost her keys in the yard last winter... took SUNNY to the front porch and said "show me" took about ten mins... he found them 40 feet away between the garage and the house.

I could talk about him all day long.

His is nearly six... just taught him to pick up all his toys at night. "SUNNY... TOYS... TOYBOX"
generally takes about two min for him to go through the hoous kitchen, den, bedroom. living room he make me live.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:09 AM

here is a link to our MALIBU webpage
http://www2.whidbey.net/urraca/index_70_Malibu.htm
Old 06-03-2008, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by REDFLYR
JS&Me have a Time Out Doll "TOD" that we take to shows and events.

anyone else have one... I'll show you mine, if you ll show me yours
no I do not have one but I think yours is cute. I dont know how this thread went from a ? to a bashing but heres my 2 cents worth.

I think your little doll is cute and maybe outdated/been around awhile but still cute. Our cars are based on a old outdated/been around awhile car. I dont see any difference in you wanting to prop a doll up on your car or someone adding anything aftermarket to theirs. It boils down to each having a different taste for different things. I myself have a TIGGER theme going on with my car and I know there are people who don't like TIGGER but I do and thats what makes me different. Others have their own themes too. I think when you go to car shows it should be fun for all ages. Senior might like the all chromed motor but junior might like your little doll. As far as the car shows go... if your paint or over all body shape is being judged then the doll is removed for that period of judging and then put back for all to like or dislike. If the motor is being judged then who cares if your doll is leaning on the car. With that being said...
YOUR QUESTION WAS:
does anyone have a doll like yours.
no I dont but yours is cute.

I will say I'm sorry ahead of time in case I stepped on anyones shoes.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
You're always gonna have someone who doesn't like what you do. Personally I think they are cute and I've seen some very creative things done with them at the shows I have attended.

This one here had to have been one of the neatest ones I have seen and really worked well with the guys display.

I like this little guy too.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:43 PM

Remind me not to post in anymore threads where redflyr seeks opinions, because it *seems* only positive opinions are tolerated.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by mudd274
no I do not have one but I think yours is cute. I dont know how this thread went from a ? to a bashing but heres my 2 cents worth.

does anyone have a doll like yours.
no I dont but yours is cute.

I will say I'm sorry ahead of time in case I stepped on anyones shoes.

thnx... TIGERS HUH... i am looking for pixs of 'CLSYKAT'... as soon as the jag was judge the stuff cats started piling on.... MOST of the jags that had a woman in one of the seat... now all of ours sit in the rafters of the garage trying to keep the swallows out.

got to find those pixs
Old 06-03-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
Remind me not to post in anymore threads where redflyr seeks opinions, because it *seems* only positive opinions are tolerated.
don t care... to many sour grapes anyway... warned an newbee about people like you... their from my area and would like them to stay awhile. notice i have been around for a while... just stayed away... because it seemed like several people had to get their bitter 2 cents in and liked starting arguments for arguements sake. some people just want to get information without getting a rash or feeling stupid so read the posts from me and slink away

Quick Reply: Time Out Dolls... do you have one?