General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Time Out Dolls... do you have one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by REDFLYR
JS&Me have a Time Out Doll "TOD" that we take to shows and events.

anyone else have one... I'll show you mine, if you ll show me yours
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
Remind me not to post in anymore threads where redflyr seeks opinions, because it *seems* only positive opinions are tolerated.
Don't see him asking for opinions, just asking if anyone else has them.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:02 PM

It seems car-show fenatics really do take their hobby alot farther than most car owners...if the people looking at all these cars knew how deeply devoted the car owners truely were...

sheeesh.

ok, out of fairness, I took a poll with 4 out of the 20 or so judges at this year's 700+ car show...and they all had the same opinion.

"those little dolls were cute years ago, but it seems everybody has them."

Many shows we judge do not allow decorations to be displayed on or with the car for several reasons. if a car owner wishes to display the decoration(dolls, dice, placards, props, or any other appliqué that may create a distraction, or draw special attention to a vehicle/display) prior to the judges presence, points will be deducted or the vehicle will be disqualified from the judging portion of the event.

this is out of fairness to ALL competitors. Car Show people are a unique breed...many are almost a P.I.T.A. thinking how DARE someone tell them what they can or cant display with their vehicle. Bringing a doll to one of our shows is no different than someone bringing 10 bikini models to flaunt all over their $60k paint job...

If someone doesnt want to enter our show because we judge on an equal plane, then I will gladly show them the exit, and invite them NOT to return.

it's a "prop" and we do not allow them. Period. It isnt fair to those who DONT have special props to allow some folks who put in extra effort by "staging" their display setting to make their car seem more "theme-like".

we judge cars, not props, people, displays, or vehicle history.
It is their choice, but if they do not remove the doll from the vehicle prior to the judges arriving at said vehicle for judging, the vehicle will not be judged, or will be "passed".

One exception, we do allow people to bring their car and waive the judging...they simply tell us they do NOT wish to have their car judged...and at that time, they are allowed to use decorations if they wish.

personally, I think they are tacky. They WERE cute...but when you see 10 or more of them at a show, they take on a "me too" or "trendy" status.

that is my opinion, and a few simple facts about the car shows I judge.

here is one of them. Its for Charity:

http://www.peggysuescruise.com/home/

I wasnt trying to be rude...I was simply answering your question.

Last edited by Smoke Wagon; 06-03-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:01 PM

you know...maybe I am being a little too rough.

bottom line is this;

I dont have one of those dolls.

it's your car...no one can tell you what to do when you display it...

I just urge others to check with car show rules before displaying anything, that's all.

it's your little bumper-buddy...flaunt it...if we dont like it, we can chose to look the other way.

unfortunately, when we look the other way, we dont see your car
Old 06-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
Don't see him asking for opinions, just asking if anyone else has them.
I am a forum rookie, and I had never joined one until I came upon this one. I found lot's of interesting ideas and some not so good information too, but I liked what I read so I joined it. So I don't know all the in's and out's of forum etiquette (if there is such a thing). My son taught me all the cute acronyms and shortened words. So i only type this reply with the knowledge that I have learned in the last 6 months.

I can't think of many threads started on this site, that didn't create positive AND negative responses. It really doesn't matter if you ask opinions, you are going to GET THEM. I would think experienced chat/forum users would know this and not take it so personal. And from what I have read on this forum the other car/truck/van forums out there aren't much different.

I have been bashed in a thread before, I blew it off. We all have opinions and they are always going to differ from one poster to the next.

And of course this is JUST MY OPINION so it's not even worth 2¢

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 06-03-2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: forgot to add the quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:42 PM

thank you both...

the seattle roster show two years ago the seattle seahawk cheer leaders posing with cars... one car was on a two foot high rotating pedistal (the box it came in was driven into the center... six detailers swarmed over it and left... owner wasn t even in the state) roster shows are really a different kinda thing. anything goes and people pay big big bucks to get in plus parking plus food etc... not sure what the differance is? i follow the show rules... never have attended a point show that said that once the car was judged... you couldn t do what you wanted.

when i am looking for spectator points i try to park NEAR to the BLUE BOXES. worked with my elCamino one year.

honest question... have you ever been to show that the owner could use hired detailer at the show site. with jags the car has to be driven on to the field... i think by a registered owner. had one guy that drove his series III onto the grass then turned the car over to his 11 and 13 yr old girls... everyone knew that it was really their car...

as far as neg and pos... just thought that this tread would be friendly threat.. tired of people taking shots at everything. look back a few posts... some individuals if they can t rag they don t want to play.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:48 PM

just thought of something... going to ask the pony forum... they are really anal guys when comes to showing... i ve only shown at jag... all british... open and chevy shows. so i wonder know some mopar guys that i will ask tonight
Old 06-03-2008, 05:47 PM

sorry these thoughts just pop in.

the jag/british require the registered owner on the show registation (maybe that is just to keep national points straight) ... driven class you have to pop the 'bonnet' to chk for a jag engine (no sb chevys allowed.

starting to have fun... sometimes i change text to speech to a little girl

other gimicks... off roaders parking on each others tires... ricers with the neon... loriders dancing (most of the gearheads in our club don t seem to like either of the last two or PTCs or HHR either but a 2008 Magnum is ok). Portland 2004 ABFM the landrovers parked be hind us were throwing buckets of muck on their rigs... that really hides alot of paint. the most interesting car there... Chevy Cosworth VEGA... yep british entry.

oh yea... surf boards on woody wagons... logs on vintage logging trucks....

weirdist display... a single rocker are sitting on a folding chair... little sprints engine dissinigrate about 5 miles short of the BC border crossing.... he got the symphy award.
what eles
neetest car.. an old steamer (can t remember the make/model) only two in the world... the owner was driving it around the show like a daily driver.
most unbievable... a 69 camaro (avertise in the seattle times... condition unknown) found in the original GM shipping crate in a seattle warehouse. the ladies son never came home... all she was asking was the $3600 plus she paid for it in 69... 14 miles on the odo... dealer prep still in the trunk... it is still in the box. war sucks
if how many points would the judge give the box... or would they make him take it out? like to see them find things wrong... evenwith the sh ty paint jobs those cars had. think it would be a 100.1 car?

anyway this is just pizza and beer talk

so if you don t have doll... do you have any neet stories.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

REDFLYER.....

This is your thread...you are the originator, so I guess you can move off topic from the original idea. But , this is just a suggestion..... Why not start another thread regarding displays/shows/contests and discuss all the rules, ideas, examples, experiences.

I find this topic really interesting but, would like to see it referenced to its own topic/thread, so it can be located in the Search function.

Just an idea.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
REDFLYER.....

This is your thread...you are the originator, so I guess you can move off topic from the original idea. But , this is just a suggestion..... Why not start another thread regarding displays/shows/contests and discuss all the rules, ideas, examples, experiences.

I find this topic really interesting but, would like to see it referenced to its own topic/thread, so it can be located in the Search function.

Just an idea.
have thought of that... but i have pretty much tried to keep this thread a safe zone??? lots of people "PEEKING" ment to have fun... i perfer the prenent banter vice all out war... and some have said they won t enter of my threads so it would be better if someone else might start that thread... if no one else doesn t do it i might...

I did drive away from one show after preregistering...
the MWR (navy recfund for those that know) center at the Everett Naval Station put on a 4th of july show for military and depends... JS&Me called the base MWR... no registion forms were available to mail so we did it by phone and sent in the fee. got the registration (no mention of dogs) form, proof of payment and the SECURITY PASS to let us on the base. that morning we drove down to the NavaL station... got to the enterance for the display cars... the security guards wouldn t let us in be cause of SUNNY. as we were leaving we saw people going through the pedstrian gate going through with dogs. we ended up early at my sister 4th of july bbq. i wrote a letter to the base commander and the MWR officer... told them that they could keep the thirty dollar entry (donation that only the car owners paid)fee as a donation... recieved applogies from both of them... haven t been back since. they loose not me... the car owner fees were MWR contributions.

highest registration (entry... no goodies) $125 for 2002 WESTERN REGION JCNA Concours D'elegance another $1100 for the goodies and apartments.. 4 daus south shores lake tahoe nv... definiately worth it... can t play golf... miniture golf is another thing... first year entered concours (normally entered driven) lost two whole points for an incorrect fuel fitting... score 98.0 should have never sold that car.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:00 PM

Red...I obviously should have waited until I was in a better mood before I answered your inital question...which I actually did not answer, entirely.

But I will start anew.

I have been to, judged, spectated at, driven to(for car owners) assembled, participated in, and discussed many car shows. I have even restored Bloomington Corvettes in my younger days.

I know car show people. I know the ones that go for the fun of it, and the ones that dedicate most of their spare time to their show cars. There are some folks that love to see, and be seen, but dont get upset if they dont win. They're just happy to be a part of that lifestyle.

I've also been to the ones where car owners are worse than pageant moms...they are walking encyclopedias of their car, every other car in their class, and they will actually protest if they dont win.

I got away from all that. I only do one show a year now. The one I linked earlier. it is for charity. It is not a Concourse show...far from it. BUT...we do judge with strict criteria...there are STOCK and MODIFIED classes. And there are so many trophies, it is almost funny. In the 1939-1945 truck class 2 years ago...we had 3 entries...3 entries, and 3 trophies.

sure there are some "correct" 95+ point cars that roll in. There are also $500k cars that took 9 years to build that show up. they compete for the top honors, so the other cars of the same vintage geta chance to win something.

we had a custom 1957 Corvette come in...owner proved the $435k he spent on the car...we also had 3 other 53-61 Corvettes show up...obviously none of the other 3 had to compete against the rolling bank-roll...

the bottom line is this. we have a 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner sitting at home. It is a 440-6 pack car. If it was in show condition, it would be a $125k car. It is not. it is clean, straight, modified(go-fast goodies) and we D.R.I.V.E. the sucker...but if I restored it to original, and spent the amount of time others spend making my dream car a show piece...I'd probably be pretty picky about it too.

I just hope whatever it is you do...you enjoy it. If you find a show that you feel doesnt treat you fairly...do what you wrote earlier....drive away. You probably wouldnt want to deal with the contestants anyway, if the show organizers are that strict.

I our case...we just want the playing field to be level. Not everyone has the props, so we simply ask contestants not to bring any, so no one feels left out, or no one has the ability to receive "special attention" because of their "props". We list "props" as anything that is NOT part of the car. This includes custom trailers that many old-schoolers hitch to their "sleds" and have customized to make their 49 Willys (or whatever) stand apart from the others...unfortunately, this incudes drive-in speakers/trays, dolls, plaques, past trophies, or whatever...we ask them to bring their cars/trucks/bikes/customs/street rods/race cars, etc...and leave the "props" at home.

as for the things I've done in the past...I'll never forget being asked to drive several cars for a collector to a 'show'. we thought "how can this guy enter 8 of his hi-dollar gems in one show...that seems unfair"...turns out, he was simply bringing his cars to support the show, but not entering any of them.

They included:

1968 Shelby GT 500 KR convertible
1970 Hemi 'Cuda Convertible
1957 Fuelie Corvette Bloomington "gold" winner
1967 Shelby GT 500
1968 Shelby GT 500 convetible
1955 Chevy Bel Air convertible with continental kit
1965 Shelby GT 350 R
and his all time favorite....
1967 Corvette 427 tri-power roadster...

guess which one I got to drive!

Quick Reply: Time Out Dolls... do you have one?