General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Time Out Dolls... do you have one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 04:19 AM

won t "quote" your post... your like me once you get going your like me

i agree with 98.2 of what you are saying... i ll get to the 1.8 later.

pregnant moms was cute...
money bags... one of my pet peeves

JS&Me try to do several shows/events each year... my way of getting out and about from the house... might be that i am in for the fun because i can t drive and the cars are nothing but shinny blurry things. but i like working on them still... took me three days to figure out how to install a new fuelpump on the 55 with only a little help from Joan.

anal judges... don t really don t know every thing about what they are judging... sometimes. i took the JCNA judging course in 1998... I pretty much new the standards for the xj6 but we still had two judge and never made comment to the owner until we finished the score sheet and it was signed by the owners. owners stood by to anser question... and give permission to touch things... couldn t open things unless it was a concoures sheet. time limit 10 min. rejudge if their was a tie... 5 min... no protests on the field... protests had to be submitted to national with judges comments. lots of unhappy people... great that the protests were handled by other people... then we would go out and race them... so much fun joan was gettin pretty good be for we sold (#2 JCNA woman in her class)

love the fact that someguys have bookoo bucks to spend on their rides... hate it when they take best of show... like Polson 2006... the "car guy" wouldn t give us peeons the time of day. we had 11 cars there from Oak Harbor, WA... "smity" a retired painter (did the ghost flames on our HHR for cost)... brought his 49 fordlincon... he hand fab/build every part on that car more than 10 years ago in his garage... every one wanted to where he got the kit. not even mentioned...
last year the best of show was 56 tbird that didn t have a transmission... it also took mayors choice and NAS Whidbey Is CO's choice and first in fifties (cat to big)
we only take the Malibu to judged shows (preserved... it only has 36K on odo). our little blue 55 will never win anything... we take it near by shows 100 miles or less. Joan doesn t like the armstrong steering and i don t like the single cylender manual brakes. two future projects. the REDFLYR goes to shows that i know some of our WC gear heads will be attending... according to them it s not a REAL CAR but a 2008 musle is.
i like most any car especially if the owner will let me touch itl
the MALIBU has not been in a serious point show... The NW all Chevy SeaTac areasouth of seattle lets you bring your chevy in for a pre show points inspection... three diffent places in the puget sound... you get the score sheet... that's what you go to the show with... we took the MALIBU in for the preshow... paid the $10 for a no show inspection... 97+... we re happy and there was no hassel and we saved 350 miles on the odo.

as far as SUNNY goes... talked with joan about getting him a helper dog cerificate... then no problem any more.

OK...
Pets... generally they are behaved and on a leash
kids... no person that isn t old enough to have a dirvers lic should be on a leash
any young person old enough to talk should be gaged... some adults as well
no bicycles... strollers... wheel chairs... (motorized wheel chairs between cars)... no belt buckles... blue jeans with studs... naked would be best (had a judge sit on MALIBU while writing up the car people that can t read the "please don t touch" signs... make all spectators must show proof of insurace to get within 50" of a car (one spectator lifted the hood on a 53 custom ford pu... wrinkled the hood and fender... the guy actually stayed until bob came back to his truck... $7,000 later)... YES I KNOW that this silly and stupid rambling none of these thing will or should really happen... but owners do have the right to yell at parents that don t manage their children...

judges and judging and props.

talked to a friend tonite that does HANs in RENO each yr with his 60's avante or lark... 7000 registard... 14,000 drive throuhs... he say the reg cars are projudge??? anything goes "props" including bikini girls... hearsay no personal experiance...
bellvue, wa pony show... projudged... many many hundred. the person with a 66 sprint 3,000 org miles says after the car is judged... any thing goes.
as i said before jaguar Concours D'elegance... BC, WA, AZ, OR, REGIONAL, NATIONAL... judges have the car for 10 mins... can t touch anything unless they ask... two judges min... third judge available to referee the two judges if needed (contestant can t ask for the 3rd judge... only the judges can ask for the rules... i really liked showing JCNA... "rags down" 10 am... rain... shine... bird turds... dust storms... no touchee. made joan stop figiting the car to death... at least until the judges were finished. judges done... the stuffed kitty's were piled onto "CLSYKAT" (joan names all the cars) and we went to lunch. got really hungry if our judge time was in the late afternoon

but like you... we hardly show the cars now in anything but DISPLAY or peoples choice. less hassel... no pressure... get to talk with more people... bring TOD & SUNNY kick back with my alaska amber (if allowed) and have fun listening to... gearheads and the the pregnant moms duke it out

would be fun having a cup of coffee or whatever with you... just won t agree with the "no toys"

differance here for those that are confused... he dosen t say that he hates TODs or display toys... we just don t see I2I on the when and where (at car shows)... i think sorry if this affended any "pragnant moms" but i went through those wonderful hormone months about 30 yrs ago an they re still burned into my brain.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by REDFLYR
we had 11 cars there from Oak Harbor, WA... "smity" a retired painter (did the ghost flames on our HHR for cost)... brought his 49 fordlincon... he hand fab/build every part on that car more than 10 years ago in his garage... every one wanted to where he got the kit. not even mentioned...

ya mean something like the car pictured in this link?

Oh, and I meant Pageant...as in Beauty contest, not preggers......

pageant parents, you know the ones...like those cheer-leader mom's who have hired hit-men to make sure their daughters make the squad...THOSE people...some car show folks are WORSE than those people.

but yea...you make a very valid point as well.

"I2I"

I like that.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:39 PM

sorry... you know my eyes only see what they want to see. sometimes i misunderstand my text to speech... your version makes more sense now...
Old 06-06-2008, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
It seems car-show fenatics really do take their hobby alot farther than most car owners...if the people looking at all these cars knew how deeply devoted the car owners truely were...

sheeesh.

ok, out of fairness, I took a poll with 4 out of the 20 or so judges at this year's 700+ car show...and they all had the same opinion.

"those little dolls were cute years ago, but it seems everybody has them."

Many shows we judge do not allow decorations to be displayed on or with the car for several reasons. if a car owner wishes to display the decoration(dolls, dice, placards, props, or any other appliqué that may create a distraction, or draw special attention to a vehicle/display) prior to the judges presence, points will be deducted or the vehicle will be disqualified from the judging portion of the event.

this is out of fairness to ALL competitors. Car Show people are a unique breed...many are almost a P.I.T.A. thinking how DARE someone tell them what they can or cant display with their vehicle. Bringing a doll to one of our shows is no different than someone bringing 10 bikini models to flaunt all over their $60k paint job...

If someone doesnt want to enter our show because we judge on an equal plane, then I will gladly show them the exit, and invite them NOT to return.

it's a "prop" and we do not allow them. Period. It isnt fair to those who DONT have special props to allow some folks who put in extra effort by "staging" their display setting to make their car seem more "theme-like".

we judge cars, not props, people, displays, or vehicle history.
It is their choice, but if they do not remove the doll from the vehicle prior to the judges arriving at said vehicle for judging, the vehicle will not be judged, or will be "passed".

One exception, we do allow people to bring their car and waive the judging...they simply tell us they do NOT wish to have their car judged...and at that time, they are allowed to use decorations if they wish.

personally, I think they are tacky. They WERE cute...but when you see 10 or more of them at a show, they take on a "me too" or "trendy" status.

that is my opinion, and a few simple facts about the car shows I judge.

here is one of them. Its for Charity:

http://www.peggysuescruise.com/home/

I wasnt trying to be rude...I was simply answering your question.
ok... which shows... say the the car will be disqualified if goodies appear on a car after it has been judge?
Old 06-11-2008, 12:01 PM

IMHO, these dolls should remain in that special corner of the double-wide right underneath the talking fish singing 'Take Me To The River'.

But that's just me.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:50 PM

Wasn't going to comment on this thread but was at a show over the weekend and saw one of these and had to smile at it (because of this thread) :)

There were between 2500 and 3000 cars... that was the only 'prop' I noticed in the entire show.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Founding Member

At this past SoCalHHR G2G in Burbank California, I didn't see a single one!
Old 06-11-2008, 06:10 PM

i just guess we re in it for the fun of it up here in the northwest. you know the cloudy days and rain and all... either we re to loose or everyone else is to tight. going to a nursing home drive in show&shine and a charity show (judged) this weekend... let you know what we see
Old 06-22-2008, 08:45 PM

did a street show today... "TOD" stays.

47 people had positive comment about him...
3 grown women walked up and started talking to him to see if he was alright... HONEST!!!
several dozen children came up to see him (had to show about 4 or 5 that he was just a doll)

oh yeah... the car got allot of attention... only HHR there of course (1 PTC)... mostly older folks... is that going to change with SS?

SUNNY was the tailgate display... lot of attention there from everyone... had his picture taken by two different people.

NO WE DIDN T TROPHY... didn t expect to (the PT guy voted for us)... just went for the fun of it... should of seen the looks on those three womens faces.

FIRST NICE DAY WE HAVE HAD ALL SPRING...
Old 06-22-2008, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
At this past SoCalHHR G2G in Burbank California, I didn't see a single one!
all i can say is after the last two shows that JS&Me have been to... those guys are missing out on meeting allot of people. fun stuff manard

maybe the young'ns think they are to old to play with dolls and old fogies think they are only for kids

remeber it s the cars that bring us together... it s the people that make us keep coming back

Last edited by REDFLYR; 06-23-2008 at 01:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Time Out Dolls... do you have one?