General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb
First you should open the drivers door and look at the label that is there in all cars made in the last 30 years or more. Then you should use a tire gauge to check each one individually and adjust accordingly. The TPMS is an incredibly poor thing to use for accuracy, it is an emergency use only item that is designed to get your attention when a tire is losing pressure. It has gotten to where people are relying solely on it and dieing because of it.
I mostly agree, nothing beats checking the tires with a gauge. Not that I would ever advocate relying on the TPMS, but I'd like to see the data to back up that last statement. The TPMS, if properly set up will warn you of a low pressure condition long before it becomes dangerous.

Originally Posted by Jins 2008
I run 40psi in mine and at 21000 miles tires are wearing perfect. I do it for mpg and it's not hurting the tires at all. And I average 34-37 mpg on a 2.2.
I've said it before here and on other forums, do as you like and, if it works for you that's great. My experience, and many others like me, has been quite different from yours. Running at high PSIs like that not only dramatically affects handling, but leaves less rubber on the ground in inclement weather. Its a safety issue. I'll sacrifice a few MPGs any day for complete control of my car under all conditions. Besides, even if I increased my mileage by 3 MPG by running a higher PSI, the savings isn't all that great. At today's prices I would save something like $83 a year. Whoopee.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:46 PM

I would not just rely on TPMS I just wanted to know where everyone was with there tire pressure, I have gotten away from cars and I have been driving pick up trucks for the last twenty years. Ive been driving this. This is my other truck.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...1/P1010155.JPG
Old 10-16-2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Doc brown
I mostly agree, nothing beats checking the tires with a gauge. Not that I would ever advocate relying on the TPMS, but I'd like to see the data to back up that last statement. The TPMS, if properly set up will warn you of a low pressure condition long before it becomes dangerous.

I've said it before here and on other forums, do as you like and, if it works for you that's great. My experience, and many others like me, has been quite different from yours. Running at high PSIs like that not only dramatically affects handling, but leaves less rubber on the ground in inclement weather. Its a safety issue. I'll sacrifice a few MPGs any day for complete control of my car under all conditions. Besides, even if I increased my mileage by 3 MPG by running a higher PSI, the savings isn't all that great. At today's prices I would save something like $83 a year. Whoopee.
Too low pressure also pack snow in the tread and it will not self clean.

The bottom line no single tire pressure is right for all. It is something that one needs to figure out themselves to best match their conditions and driving habbits.

That is why I preach to those who have an interst to read the tire.

Most people could careless and will be fine just to hit 32 and replace them when needed.

Too many just never checked them and have left us with the PITA pressure systems. Too many ran the cheap tires on the Explorers low and one heat builds they come appart. Heat is the tire second worst enemy a sharp object is one that is worse.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Doc brown
I mostly agree, nothing beats checking the tires with a gauge.

I agree.. Especially running a higher psi than the door jam sticker indicates for OEM tires, & for aftermarket tires, the tire maker lists on the sidewall.
Cause when run, the air psi does increase more yet..
Old 10-16-2009, 11:18 PM

Everyone's circumstance is slightly different. And don't put too much emphasis on "slightly different". For example. you have a standard HHR with out any added options and you are of average weight and don't carry additional passengers or cargo consistently your circumstances are very much different than that of an overweight driver with and even bigger spouse and other passengers occupying space in the vehicle along with added cargo on a consistant basis. The tire pressure should be adjusted to compensate for the added poundage. A tire's carrying capacity is totally dependant on the pressure contained within the tire. Lower the air pressure and the tire can't carry as much weight. Thus increase heat causing poorer wear and gas mileage.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:46 PM

Driving over 100 miles a day at 40psi and have not had one problem tire wear is excellent.