General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Tires ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 09:11 AM

I have run these Cooper Snows for a few Maine winter's now and I like them a lot
https://simpletire.com/brands/cooper...pn=90000029775
Old 10-21-2020, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by geg
Over the years, we have returned to this topic many times.
Every time it turned out that Bridgestone Blizzak is in the lead or is mentioned as a worthy candidate in terms of "price / quality".
Ive looked at them, just wondered about if I made them my everyday tire throughout the year....
Old 10-21-2020, 08:21 PM

Thanks for all the input. I think here in Missouri they have a law that snow tires have to be removed by a certain time in the spring.... I dont remember for sure but I have read it before years ago. So, I wonder how hard they look at a tire during inspections? But word is, we are supposed to have a bad winter this year?
Old 10-21-2020, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Bonez- Hopefully not a bad winter.. & I know up north they must remove studded snows after some date.. I never heard anything about tires tho..

For inspections they must read tread depth & check for dry rot. Least I did that when I briefly did inspections for a small shop.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bonez
Thanks for all the input. I think here in Missouri they have a law that snow tires have to be removed by a certain time in the spring.... I dont remember for sure but I have read it before years ago. So, I wonder how hard they look at a tire during inspections? But word is, we are supposed to have a bad winter this year?
My bet would be "Studded snow tire removal" as they are a disaster for damage to the paved roads.
There is no downside that would require removal of the Michelin X Ice or the Blizzaks without studs.
The Blizzaks are slightly more aggressive then the Michelins.
Studded tires can have a very short productive use time as the studs can wear down fairly fast on concrete hiways especially if you spin them.
Most drivers have no idea that this is happening.
You do you have traction control on your HHR fronts that will help some.

Silverfox
Old 10-21-2020, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Bonez- Hopefully not a bad winter.. & I know up north they must remove studded snows after some date.. I never heard anything about tires tho..

For inspections they must read tread depth & check for dry rot. Least I did that when I briefly did inspections for a small shop.
Yes, studs have to come off regardless, but I cant remember if tires themselves needed to be swapped or not? Yes thread depth and dryrot check, but do they look at what seasons the tires are for? Like, oh, this is a snow tire.... fail it...LOL
Old 10-21-2020, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
My bet would be "Studded snow tire removal" as they are a disaster for damage to the paved roads.
There is no downside that would require removal of the Michelin X Ice or the Blizzaks without studs.
The Blizzaks are slightly more aggressive then the Michelins.
Studded tires can have a very short productive use time as the studs can wear down fairly fast on concrete hiways especially if you spin them.
Most drivers have no idea that this is happening.
You do you have traction control on your HHR fronts that will help some.

Silverfox
I do know the rubber is softer in lower mileage tires like 35000 and 40000 tires and the harder rubber is in the longer wear tires like 50000 -75000 tires, where softer rubber tires have better traction they dont last long, but I dont want to buy tires every year either. I used to be loyal to one brand because of how it performed with one vehicle then found out that same brand sucked on another vehicle, so thats where Im having issues deciding because the HHR is newish to me and going into the first winter where driving in the rain sucks right now but not sure if its just the age and worn tires or if they really do suck on this car even new due to the weight of the vehicle or a factor of everything? Its nice to get input from others on their experiences with brands as well. I will also be getting new shocks and struts as well along with an alignment to make everything true although it drives straight as an arrow but I replaced the hub, LCAs as well as the front brake components the past few months... so Im sure it needs it all.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:45 PM
geg

HHR has a peculiarity - the center of gravity is shifted forward more than that of other machines. All the same, the car has some kind of cargo inclinations. Also, I think the first gear is a bit short. Together with the high engine power, we have the effect of the front wheels slipping when starting. It looks cool in the movies, but in real life it sometimes just pisses me off. It is difficult to get under way at the traffic light, the neighbors rushed ahead and you are still grinding the icy asphalt on the spot.

The first winter I put on the Yokohama tires. Solid rubber compound, reali as plastic. I was not just disappointed - I was furious!
After 2 weeks of hell, I sold these tires and put on Blizzak.
I drove this before acquiring the HHR, I have been driving it all these years and do not plan to change my habits.
These are premium tires at the price of Chinese sh*t and a nice bonus - now they are made in Russia too.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by geg
HHR has a peculiarity - the center of gravity is shifted forward more than that of other machines. All the same, the car has some kind of cargo inclinations. Also, I think the first gear is a bit short. Together with the high engine power, we have the effect of the front wheels slipping when starting. It looks cool in the movies, but in real life it sometimes just pisses me off. It is difficult to get under way at the traffic light, the neighbors rushed ahead and you are still grinding the icy asphalt on the spot.

The first winter I put on the Yokohama tires. Solid rubber compound, reali as plastic. I was not just disappointed - I was furious!
After 2 weeks of hell, I sold these tires and put on Blizzak.
I drove this before acquiring the HHR, I have been driving it all these years and do not plan to change my habits.
These are premium tires at the price of Chinese sh*t and a nice bonus - now they are made in Russia too.
cool, Ill check them out.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:46 PM
Administrator

I only found this law about studded snow tires for Missouri

https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/...i_laws_307-171

Quick Reply: Tires ???