General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Torn between HHR and G6

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 10:01 AM

Torn between HHR and G6

ok, so i married this beautiful and wonderful woman, and now have the GM family discount (and season packer tickets ), and am trying to move into a more family friendly car (currently drive an ION Red Line quad coupe (rear doors open backwards) and it's not good in parking lots).

my two main considerations are gas mileage, and functionality.

G6: this is a great looking car. it is very roomy on the inside, and wouldn't have problems fitting another couple in the back comfortably. not to mention car seats. seems as though the trunk is a little smaller than my ION. the things kind of a pig, likely weighing in around 3300 with the ecotec, and no manual transmission. would be a great family car though.

HHR: styling is subjective, but i happen to love the looks of the HHR as well. in no time the "freshness" of the look will wear off and it won't draw as many looks as i assume it would now. it is also very roomy for front and rear passengers, though not as roomy in back as the G6. the interior is nice, and the radio has the iPod hookup, with DIC located in the IP. the rear and front passenger seats fold flat for items up to 8 feet long. that is impressive to say the least. would also be a perfect family car.

my lifestyle: we love to camp, and i am always shoving things in the car, for one reason or another. the quad doors of the ION have come in handy for that. i'm not too sure the G6 is really up to the task of being loaded up for camping, and every year we've got a little bit more to make the trips more convenient. the HHR would be perfect as we could load it to the brim. but then the question comes - when we do have a child (or two), we can keep one seat up, but for the second, we'd need both seats up, and the usefullness of the HHR becomes pretty void, though for everyday tasks and getting things from the hardware store, it's perfect, and gets awesome mileage (bare bones seeing 30-35 mpg with load). but with two children, the G6 reserves the trunk.

also, the wife drives an Alero. so by me getting the G6, we'd essentially have two family sedans, and no cargo hauler. though i prefer the looks of the G6 to "blend in" with the rest of society, i love the look of the HHR in black and it fits my style.

lastly, price. the G6 STARTS at 16999, while the HHR starts at 15600 or something like that. we've got 750 GM card cash to use before the auto show is over, receive the GMS pricing, and are patiently waiting the auto show's arrival so we can see what the rebates will be. what i do know is that GMS pricing is usually below invioice, and the HHR invoice is around 14500, while our GMS pricing on the G6 was 15800 i think. granted an auto tranny costs 1000, but it comes with remote start and traction control, which would make the wife able to drive. we are not able to get remote start with the 1SV G6.

so the question comes, sexy sedan, or wacky wagon?

PS - i've posted this message at a G6 board, to get the best of both worlds. what do YOU think?
Old 01-20-2006, 10:12 AM
jcv

I don't have much advice re: the G6 vs the HHR, other than to say that I just ordered an HHR because I've been finding a car useless lately and wanted something with overall better utility and good gas mileage at a reasonable price. The HHR fit the bill nicely.

Just wanted to mention you can no longer use a GMS discount + the GM Card Discount together-- big bummer, I know. If you have a 'GM Family First' (1.5% rebate) card, you can use *that* discount with the employee price, but they will no longer let you combine the regular GM MasterCard (5% rebate) rebate with an Employee discount.

My HHR would have cost me $1000 less if they still let you do that (and nearly $3000 less if there wasn't a $1000 cap).
Old 01-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Banned

You are actually asking that question on a HHR site? I don't think anyone is going to say G6 or we would all be driving G6s. IMO go with the HHR. I have owned two previous Pontiacs ('89 Grand Am LE and '99 Sunfire GT) and they both sucked. I vowed to myself to never own another Pontiac again, unless we're talking old GTOs or Firebirds. Wacky wagon is very offensive also. If someone called my HHR a wacky wagon to my face I would slap the taste out of their mouth. The HHRs gas milage isn't that great either, I can't get out of the low 20s in terms of MPG. Why would you want your vehicle to blend in with the rest of the cars on the road? That's the exact opposite of everything I stand for.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:14 AM

I say Sexy, Wacky wagon. Or a car that was given away to a bunch of middle-aged psychotic housewives on a show notorious for giving things away. Not saying the G6 is a bad car, Just saying I wouldn't be caught decomposing in a car that SCREAMS Oprah.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:28 AM

First off, why would anyone want Packers tickets.. Bears tickets would be much better.

My wife and I recently purchased a 2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 Sport Van and while it was in the shop getting the driver's door repaired they gave us a G6 for a loaner. The car had a V6 and was very fast. That was the only thing I liked about the car. Nothing to me felt comfortable. You know when you get in a car and it feels like it has been made for you. That is the feeling I got with the HHR and not the G6. I found out later after my wife and I were talking that she felt the same way as I did about the G6. My vote is for the HHR!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:33 AM

If you like to camp you could store alot more stuff in an hhr compared to a g6. My friend has a g6 coupe. Its a nice car, but I wouldn't trade it for my hhr.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:45 AM

thanks for the replies.

to the poster who said pontiacs suck, welcome to the world of the new GM. though based on the epsilon chassis as opposed to the delta, it's powered by the 2.4 ecotec, and general build quality is on par with the HHR (or the HHR is on par with the G6), and the two are the few cars GM already offers with said build quality. there will be no more difference in brands within GM aside from personal design/functionality/luxury decisions that people will make.

now to the poster about packer tickets, you know you can go to see a bears game anytime you want. finding packer tickets a MUCH harder and more expensive venture.

and don't be offended by me calling the HHR a wacky wagon, because it is. i love it's looks, but it's not like it blends in, or ever will. be realistic, the styling shock will fade, but it will still be a cool looking car that stands out from the crowd. wacky is a good thing.

it's good to hear someone actually compare the two cars. my wife liked the G6 a lot, but from what i can see, i think GM is using the same seats in both. they at the least have the same headrest design...

thanks for the comments, i'll keep them in mind, and keep them coming!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:56 AM

i have received some comments from a G6 owner (already dumped it) that i should go HHR. said she had a hard enough time getting groceries in the trunk...

anyone want to comment on their latest gas mileage with 2.2 and a 5spd.?

how about with auto (remote start and TC are really appealing...)?
Old 01-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Banned

I have a 2.4 with auto and I average about 21 - 22 MPG.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I have a 2.4 with auto and I average about 21 - 22 MPG.
you leadfoot you...

people with the 2.4 (only comes in auto) on the G6 average higher than that and it weighs more. how many miles?

having the 2.4 is certainly appealing, though the engine is all i'd want over the base LS model, and i have concerns about comments from GM about being harder to achieve big power from it. even as a family car, either one will end up with forced induction eventually, which is another plus for the HHR, having a stick and a turbo will net me some decent power while getting the same or better mileage...

Quick Reply: Torn between HHR and G6