General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Totaled my baby :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:10 PM

Totaled my baby :(

15 to 20 mph I rearended a 1985 chevy pickup truck about 12 inches off center of the car to the passenger side trying to avoid the truck that rearended the guy in front of him. Ughh no protection over the bumper what so ever. Roads were wet, I was too close this just stinks... Pics will come when I have time. Loved my car but will never buy another after seeing how little protection there is. Oh yeah no airbag deployment even though the sensor on the radiator support was moved a agood 18 inches up and back.

Just ordered oem replacement foglights the night prior to replace the one that was damged from road debris a few weeks ago. will post in classifieds when they arrive. Came off ebay will ship for free just cover cost of lamps.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:36 PM

That sucks pretty bad, glad you're ok though, cars can be replaced, people can't.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:23 PM

Sorry to hear about your car. It sounds like the car did its job in protecting you. The car sustains so much damage so you don't get hurt seriously and can walk away from the crash.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Founding Member

Thankfully you were not injured! I feel for you on the totalled car. But as already stated, better the car then you.

Originally Posted by Nuagedesigns
Oh yeah no airbag deployment even though the sensor on the radiator support was moved a agood 18 inches up and back.
The sensor has no idea on damage severity. Deployment of the airbags is dependent on how fast your forward motion stops. The vehicles deceleration rate was not high enough for them to deploy. The HHR is really a safe vehicle, but if you are ready to move on to something else that is understandable too.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:12 PM
jx3

15 to 20 mph I rearended a 1985 chevy pickup truck about 12 inches off center of the car to the passenger side trying to avoid the truck that rearended the guy in front of him.
Glad to hear you're all right!

Roads were wet, I was too close this just stinks...
Nice to hear someone owning up to their own mistake! So unusual not to hear "The guy in front of me stopped short".

Pics will come when I have time.
Please do. As much as we don't really want to see a banged up HHR, it will show how it actually held up or not in certian areas.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Banned

Loved my car but will never buy another after seeing how little protection there is. Oh yeah no airbag deployment even though the sensor on the radiator support was moved a agood 18 inches up and back.
How little protection? Sounds to me like it did its job if you walked away. I'd be willing to bet that the upper rails and radiator support gave you all the protection you needed. Airbag deployments are dependent on the deceleration rate and angle of collision, not actual damage sustained to the vehicle. In most cases, a 15-20 mph collision is not going to deploy the system.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:41 PM

Just about any car will be totalled at that speed if it hits above the bumper. A few years back I rear ended someone in my cavalier going close to 10mph. A broken headlight, slightly crumpled hood, bent support and ruptured ac condenser = $6000. I feel for ya, hope everything turns out ok with the insurance.
Thats the price we pay these days for sleeker styling and body colored bumpers.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by prod
Just about any car will be totalled at that speed if it hits above the bumper. A few years back I rear ended someone in my cavalier going close to 10mph. A broken headlight, slightly crumpled hood, bent support and ruptured ac condenser = $6000. I feel for ya, hope everything turns out ok with the insurance.
Thats the price we pay these days for sleeker styling and body colored bumpers.
Same thing happened to my wifes car. She only had it for 3 months (brand new '06 balt)
Old 04-05-2008, 08:37 AM

Sorry To Hear, Glad You Are Unhurt !! Best Wishes Getting A New Ride.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:43 AM

QUESTION: Did your insurance company state the car was totalled?

Quick Reply: Totaled my baby :(