General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Totaled my baby :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 08:51 AM

Glad to hear you weren't hurt. The way I look at it when any vehicle is in a crash is as long as the passenger compartment stays relatively intact protecting the most important cargo, the car has done it's job. If the rest of the car wads up around it...it's done it's job in my opinion. For the life of me, I don't understand when people complain about the airbag not deploying during an accident, especially at slow speeds. They have been known to cause injuries to people who would otherwise remain unhurt. But then again, it gives them something to complain about and/or sue for.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:35 PM

Since you seem to have come out of it unscathed I guess the "Crumple Zones" did what they were supposed to do (Crumple!). I doubt if there are any new cars out there these days that could take that kind of a "minor" hit in that area without sustaining "major" damage. I wouldn't blame it on the HHR! Just think, you could have been driving a "Smart Car"!
Old 04-05-2008, 11:12 PM

QUESTION: Did your insurance company state the car was totalled?
Yes the insurance company called it totaled and has already taken the vehicle.

I guess the car did do its job by protecting me and crumpling to absorb the energy. just didn't expect there to be so much damage as there was.

And another thing, Im young so i was not aware of GAP coverage. Now I owe $3,000.00 out of pocket to cover the loan on the car. Car was only 7 months old with 15,000mi. on her. Boy will I make sure I get that on my next vehicle. Will try and post pics on mondy.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nuagedesigns
And another thing, Im young so i was not aware of GAP coverage. Now I owe $3,000.00 out of pocket to cover the loan on the car. Car was only 7 months old with 15,000mi. on her. Boy will I make sure I get that on my next vehicle. Will try and post pics on mondy.
I'm surprised the F&I guy at your dealership didn't try to sell you on GAP when you bought the car. You can usually get it through your own insurance agent cheaper, though. I would suggest checking into hiring a lawyer to see if they can get the insurance to cover the remaining $3,000. It may cost you $500 to $1000, but the insurance company is betting that you won't so they're going to lowball you all the way. A $3,000 gap on a 7 month old vehicle is ridiculous and it's exactly how much money they'd spend on their own lawyers trying to settle it out.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:01 AM

Even without a lawyer, do some research and make sure that the insurance is offering you a fair price for the car. I know many people that have negotiated a better settlement without a lawyer... it just takes some research on your part. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nuagedesigns
15 to 20 mph I rearended a 1985 chevy pickup truck about 12 inches off center of the car to the passenger side trying to avoid the truck that rearended the guy in front of him. Ughh no protection over the bumper what so ever. Roads were wet, I was too close this just stinks... Pics will come when I have time. Loved my car but will never buy another after seeing how little protection there is. Oh yeah no airbag deployment even though the sensor on the radiator support was moved a agood 18 inches up and back.

Just ordered oem replacement foglights the night prior to replace the one that was damged from road debris a few weeks ago. will post in classifieds when they arrive. Came off ebay will ship for free just cover cost of lamps.
Sorry for the loss but very interested to know more about the Airbag
Old 04-07-2008, 07:59 PM

A few years back, I was driving a little 81 Mazda GLC that my wife had when we first met. Anyway, a trucker waved a mid sized new BMW in front of me and totaled both cars. The little Mazda, started up and could have been driven but the BMW folded up like nothing you have ever seen. Bottom line is that it's passenger compartment was for all practical purposes intact which I understand is the way it was designed. I have a feeling the HHR reacted similarly. You are OK and I am sure that was the intention of the design. On a similar note, I got a recall notice today for my 07. Seems they want to put some padding in the area where the inside visors meet the roof?
Old 04-07-2008, 09:41 PM

There have been a lot of comments about airbags not deploying on the HHRs in accidents, but it's decided on by an algorithm in the control module that weighs the deceleration suffered by the passenger cell, measured by an accelerometer in the module bolted to the floor just behind the gearshift, the deceleration of the front of the vehicle, speed and probably a few other factors, to determine whether you'd suffer more injuries being hit in the face by the airbag than not.
Point is, the airbag didn't deploy because the deceleration of the cell was limited by the controlled crumpling of the upper support. If it had been a more rigid construction, the cell would have been subject to more force, it would have decelerated faster, and your face would have approached the steering wheel that much faster, making the airbag necessary. It doesn't take much in medical bills to make up for having a repairable car (and a deployed airbag is an expensive fix in itself. I'd rather have it the way it is.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:20 PM

Don't airbags deploy at speeds of 25 + mph, not under 25 - mph
Old 04-07-2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by itschaboykenny
Don't airbags deploy at speeds of 25 + mph, not under 25 - mph
Here is a quote about airbag deploying from 2006 HHR owner's manual 1-61 threw 1-62:

In any particular crash, no one can say whether an
airbag should have inflated simply because of the
damage to a vehicle or because of what the repair costs
were. For frontal airbags, inflation is determined by
what the vehicle hits, the angle of the impact, and how
quickly the vehicle slows down. For side impact
airbags, inflation is determined by the location and
severity of the impact.

Quick Reply: Totaled my baby :(