General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by BigBossDaddy
Great pre-trip info Silverfox

Now that your car is ready for the trip... what about your trailer? You need to pre-trip it too.

Assuming you inspected the hitch itself (no rust, loose bolts or cracked welds, correct ball size and drop (or rise) height etc.

Safety chains are a must no matter how small your trailer is. Almost all States require them. More info here: https://mechanicalelements.com/trailer-safety-chains/

Do all the lights work properly? (stop/turn and markers)

Check the wiring (especially around the hitch area) for worn insulation or exposed wires. Do they hang down close to the ground when connected to the vehicle?

Remember.. as do safety chains, they do need some slack for when you make turns (see pic below)

Before you move the trailer... inspect the tires.

Look for cracked sidewalls just above where the tires are contacting the ground.
Do they have good tread depth? No missing chunks of rubber or exposed cords?
You do carry a spare... right? Do you also have the right lug wrench and jack in case of a flat?
Trailer tires are different than car tires. It's illegal to use car tires on a trailer.

Grease the wheel bearings (especially with boat trailers) every season.
A little grease on the coupler mechanism and ball keeps them working good and prevents rust.

Secure your load!!

You can't have too many straps! Check everything. Don't think that just because it's heavy it wont fly out.
You have probably seen these items along the highway: coolers, ladders, boat seats, bags of clothes, chairs, or even gas grills!
You might not care if that rusty old charcoal grill rolls around in the trailer on the way to the landfill until it flies out and ends up is somebody's windshield.

Pre-tripping your car and trailer is not only safer for you, it's safer for everyone around you too. It makes for a more enjoyable and less stressful drive.

And last but not least...when towing a trailer, NEVER FORGET YOUR TOWING A TRAILER!!!

Your not in a cool looking HHR (15 feet long and 6 feet wide) zipping down the highway at 70+mph on your way to Grandma's house.!
Your in a cool looking HHR that's closer to 30 feet long and probably 7 feet wide.

Watch your speed. Stick to the speed limit if not slower (depends on the the type of trailer your towing)

Trailers don't handle well at higher speeds.
Some states have special speed limits for "Autos With Trailers" like California: 55 mph

Keep to the right:

Right lane only except to pass. No carpool or express lanes can be used.

Leave more room.

When passing, Triple your distance ahead of the car you passed before changing lanes back.
Don't follow as close as you normally would either. It takes a lot longer distance to stop and can get real squirrely during hard braking.
Widen your turns. The longer the trailer - the wider the turn. Hopping a curb can jar your load loose, bend a stop sign or damage your trailer with a fire hydrant.

Keep the trailer in the center of the lane.
Check your mirrors. When the trailer is centered in the lane, look ahead and notice where your car is. Some people like to drive a little closer to the
left or right of their lane normally. Remember you towing a trailer. It's wider than your car. Your car might still be in the lane but your trailer won't.

Final Note:

I know it's a lot to remember, but if you do it long enough it will become 2nd nature and you'll be keeping you, your family, your car, your trailer, and everyone around you a lot safer as well.

I'm a truck driver by trade. My truck is 25 feet long plus a 53 foot long trailer that's 13 1/2 feet tall, 8 feet wide and weighs up to 80,000 pounds. So I could cause a lot of damage (or death) if I'm not careful how I drive.

I enjoy driving my truck. But after a long day of driving that bad boy around, I love getting into my HHR for the drive home. It feels like I'm driving a high performance sports car!!

Be safe out there - enjoy the ride

BigBossDaddy
i tow my car a lot. I use an old candle (wax). Not nearly as messy and get the job done. Suggestion