General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Towing with the manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:57 PM

Towing with the manual transmission

This may be a dumb question, but I believe that the automatic transmission HHRs are rated to tow 1000 lbs and have something like a 200 lb tongue weight. I'm not sure exactly what a tongue weight is. The manual transmission cars are not supposed to tow anything. I installed a trailer hitch and hitch-mount bicycle rack on my HHR, since their combined weight even with two bicycles is minimal. However, with the manual transmission being MORE powerful than the corresponding automatic, I can't understand WHY it's not supposed to tow anything. This has probably been asked and answered before somewhere on here, as has almost everything else, but I was hoping someone could give me or steer me toward an explanation for this that makes sense. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:04 PM

There would be a lot of unhappy customers with premature clutch failures.......
Old 12-22-2010, 08:05 PM

I think you would burn the clutch up pretty fast towing any real weight .
Old 12-22-2010, 08:06 PM

Beat me to it.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:14 PM

I have always had hitches on my vehicles and all of them have been equipped with manual transmissions. I currently have a hitch on my HHR and have pulled lots of things - even a small 4'x8' trailer with 1400 pounds of concrete blocks in it. But most of the time I try to limit my loads to 1000 pounds or under and you will definitely know when you have over 200 pounds on the tongue. I also sometimes put a cargo tray with a lockable box mounted to it in the hitch for campouts. I have never had an issue towing anything with a manual transmission. I feel GM put the disclaimer about not towing with a manual transmission for a few reasons. First, not very many people drive vehicles with manual transmissions anymore. Second, of those people that drive vehicles with manual transmissions fewer yet know the proper way to tow something and load it properly. And Third, by putting the disclaimer in the owner’s manual it is just a good way for GM not to have to cover manual transmission issues under warranty if you tow with your vehicle. All I can say is use your own judgment when it comes to towing - try not to exceed the limits when possible and experience towing is the best teacher.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:58 PM

The short answer is that the automatic tranny has a higher torque ratio. Someone else has pointed this out in a previous thread. Having said that I agree with Tigger. My father has always pulled small trailers and pop-up campers and things with similar sized and powered manual vehicles. My manual HHR is also equipped with a trailer and I do tow with it. I just recently moved out of my old house and had the HHR fully loaded and pulled a small trailer full loaded. I had no problems, but i was only moving a few miles.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:05 PM

Ive had my manual 07 since new and towed with it alot,threw mountains from phoenix AZ to Portland Or and also to north cali several times.
I usually tow double axle closed 10 or 12' trailers from uhaul and anywhere from 1200-1800 lbs
The car dosent like it threw the mountains,but it does it.
Never had any transmission or clutch problems thus far with teh exception of 2nd gear sincros and im thinking that was more from racing and snatching gears alot....not so much towing.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by pokeypony
Ive had my manual 07 since new and towed with it alot,threw mountains from phoenix AZ to Portland Or and also to north cali several times.
I usually tow double axle closed 10 or 12' trailers from uhaul and anywhere from 1200-1800 lbs
The car dosent like it threw the mountains,but it does it.
Never had any transmission or clutch problems thus far with teh exception of 2nd gear sincros and im thinking that was more from racing and snatching gears alot....not so much towing.
That doesn't sound very good. 10-12' closed trailers from U-haul? I usually see pick-ups towing those, not HHRs. Can't help but wonder if you're causing hidden damage that will show up further down the road. It's your car, you can do what you like, but that sounds like it would wreak havoc on your car.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:04 PM

Funny....towing is a no-no but no lift shifting is ok....and with the upgrade ( along with comp mode and such....)I say its to protect GM from those who think they know what they are doing but actually dont and wind up trying to tow a 22 ft boat on vacation.......they say alcohol is bad too, but, used in moderation...............yeah, use your own judgement
Old 01-01-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
There would be a lot of unhappy customers with premature clutch failures.......
Yeah! I am one of them!.. Its a waste of time!

Quick Reply: Towing with the manual transmission