General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 PM

Trailer hitch

I used to have a P/U truck to haul my dirt bike around. So now with the HHR I'm thinking of getting a trailer hitch installed & haulin my bike on a small trailer. I wonder how much of a load my '07 panel will bear? Current rear end is stock. I've not seen 'heavy-duty' rear springs, just 'lowering' kits.

PS. I want to drop the rear (with short springs) to even the stance at some point in the future. Should I keep the stock set-up for the extra clearance?
Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 AM

I'm keeping mine stock... however, the important thing is the GVWR is rated 1,000 lbs. IIRC, including passengers and cargo.

I intend to get a tow hitch so I can haul my Harley Sportster on a trailer. Slightly over rating, but I should be fine.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:23 AM

Having towed everything from a small utility trailer rigged to carry race car tires to the track to a 32' Haulmark trailer with 2 race cars in it. And having towed with everything from a Miata to a Chevy CC Diesel Dually I have but one suggestion for towing with an HHR. If your going to be towing anything anywhere near the rated load or even "slightly over" make sure your trailer has it's own braking system. Hydraulic surge or electric doesn't matter but the biggest strain on the system you will have is not trying to pull the load but stop the load. It might be hard to find a small trailer with brakes but it would really be worth your while to make sure you have them.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:36 AM

A lot of people on here have gotten their hitches from etrailer.com.

If you are thinking of getting a hitch, they a coupon code going until the end of this month. "VJB29" referal code at checkout will get you 10% off. I am ordering a hitch and a bike rack tonight, been waiting for a bit, and the code will save me around $40, not bad...

Is yours manual or auto? I think that the manual states no pulling with manual, I could be wrong though?
Old 05-29-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by twistrman
A lot of people on here have gotten their hitches from etrailer.com.

Is yours manual or auto? I think that the manual states no pulling with manual, I could be wrong though?
Mines an Auto. This coupon looks like a good deal. But I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on this mod yet. Just inquiring. Thanks Twist
Old 05-29-2009, 08:44 AM

[QUOTE=09 Panel;386329]...If your going to be towing anything anywhere near the rated load or even "slightly over" make sure your trailer has it's own braking system.QUOTE]
Sage advise '09', thanks
Old 05-29-2009, 08:47 AM

[QUOTE= If your going to be towing anything anywhere near the rated load or even "slightly over" make sure your trailer has it's own braking system.[/QUOTE]

With the capacity of trailer to stay within the GVWR I would be surprised if you would find a trailer of that size with the electric brakes, but I could be wrong.
My trailer is a 4'W x 6'L and only weighs 375lbs. Leaves me enough leigh weigh to haul misc. "stuff".
If you are at all into doing even minor car upgrades, mods, etc then go the etrailer route. Putting on your own hitch is not a breeze but it is well worth the money saved. I saved over $220.00 doing it myself and that included a wiring package that was a cinch to install. I had about 2 hours into that project.
As far as springs, I have gold lines on the rear and the only thing I had to do was go to the 4" rise draw bar to level the trailer. Your main issue besides total load will be your tongue weight and that is determined alot by the trailer design and your item being "hauled".
Old 05-29-2009, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tikker
With the capacity of trailer to stay within the GVWR I would be surprised if you would find a trailer of that size with the electric brakes, but I could be wrong.
My trailer is a 4'W x 6'L and only weighs 375lbs. Leaves me enough leigh weigh to haul misc. "stuff".
If you are at all into doing even minor car upgrades, mods, etc then go the etrailer route. Putting on your own hitch is not a breeze but it is well worth the money saved. I saved over $220.00 doing it myself and that included a wiring package that was a cinch to install. I had about 2 hours into that project.
As far as springs, I have gold lines on the rear and the only thing I had to do was go to the 4" rise draw bar to level the trailer. Your main issue besides total load will be your tongue weight and that is determined alot by the trailer design and your item being "hauled".
Great info Tik. I dont build or 'assemble' anything anymore. Not after the outdoor shed incident haha. Whats the tongue weight on your trailer set-up? Do you have a link to place you bought 375# trailer? Thanks, HHR_style

Last edited by HHR_style; 05-29-2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: 375# link
Old 05-29-2009, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tikker
Putting on your own hitch is not a breeze but it is well worth the money saved. I saved over $220.00 doing it myself and that included a wiring package that was a cinch to install. I had about 2 hours into that project.
Yeah, I am not putting mine on myself, ever be able to do that, but instead I am shipping it to my dad and then I will go up to Michigan and get it put on. He's a big car guy and worked at buick city for 33 years. Figure why not and save the money.

Etrailer has videos of how to do it too, so it doesn't make it look that bad. I am getting the Curt hitch, because i like that the cross bar is sealed on the ends. it has a slight difference which might work with my plan to conceal it better as well. We shall see. According to the website the curt apparently takes more time, but I don't really see how... we shall see.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:12 PM

Just a note.....The weight rating of 1000 lbs has nothing to do with the cars pulling or stopping ability.

It is simply a matter of the hitch only being mounted to sheet metal not to a frame or sub frame. The problem with too much weight is you will pull a bolt out of the hole or pull the holes out of round.

GM only recommends trailer pulling with the automatic. The thoughts, that have gone around on that, are that the factory clutch cannot carry the extra loading. Knowing how GM has sized clutches and clutch parts in the past, its a pretty good bet that the clutch is the week link.

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch