General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Trailer Towing ... A troubling observation

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:30 PM

Trailer Towing ... A troubling observation

OH MY ... I finally read my owners manual on trailer towing with my 2011 LT.

Reason.... I'm going to buy a small 1960's outboard classic boat and plan to tow it.

What a crazy way for Chevrolet to explain what you can and cannot do for towing a trailer with the HHR.

1. Gotta be an automatic trans.

2. Can't tow over 100 degee weather.

3. Can't tow over 1000 miles per year.

4. Can't tow over 1000 lbs. based on the car and driver only.

5. Must add tounge weight to GVW in figuring total so you don't go over the GVW for the vehicle.

6. Many many precautions and warnings on every aspect of towing.

7. Even depends on outside temps, speed, ground contours, etc. etc.

8. Concerns for all fluids and lubricants.

9. If you are in question on weight, have the total vehicle weighed with the full load.

Now to be clear here... I understand all this stuff, but does the average person ???

The clincher was at the end of all these requirements there is section on Trailer Brakes which states...

A loaded trailer that weighs more then 1500 lbs.needs to have it's own brake system (trailer brakes) that is adequate for the weight of the trailer.

What ???

I thought they just told me the max trailer weight was 1000 lbs.

What is required between 1000lbs. and 1500lbs. ???

Does this mean if I have trailer brakes I can tow more then 1500 lbs. ???

Is the 1000 lb.towing issue really about the HHR braking system ???

What about all the other important components that would be affected by hauling a 2000 lb. trailer (with brakes) ???

It doesn't give a Max weight you can tow if you have brakes...

Go Figure .....

SF
Old 08-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

I'm thinking if you want to tow more than 1000lbs You bought the wrong tow vehicle.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:00 PM

The HHR is the last vehicle I would tow a descent amount of weight with regularly. Any trailer over 1500lbs should have some sort of brake system, whether it is hydraulic with its own master cylinder or electronic actuated by a controller. There is no exception.

The tongue weight is very light on the HHR. It is a uni-body vehicle without the proper accommodations for heavy loads. Towing with any uni-body is iffy whenever a moderate amount of weight is involved.

The hitch BASICALLY just bolts up to the sheet metal in the trunk floor pan-there are channel bends, but its still not anywhere near as sturdy as typical frame steel. Also, I don't believe the relay or rear lamp wiring was provisioned for the extra load of an auxiliary lamp circuit. Some care must be taken to not overload it too much or else you can blow them-maybe consider an auxiliary relay or circuit.

I have worked for U-Haul in the past and know how these things work. I installed hitches. Class I is as high as I would go personally. That is a bike rack, or small auxiliary trailer.

The reason there is no towing with a manual is because few end users know HOW to drive with a manual. Also, the torque value sustainable with the F23 Getrag is almost at the threshold of max applicable TQ by the power-plant installed.

If you downshift hard while going down a hill and braking, that threshold TQ and more could be applied to the transmission's case... resulting in a proper failure. Not to mention, the braking system isn't THAT robust as it stands.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
I'm thinking if you want to tow more than 1000lbs You bought the wrong tow vehicle.

Not planning on over 1000 lbs.

Notice I said small classic boat. Gross approx. 900lbs.

Just pointing out the trailering issues posted by many in the past.

Nobody ever brought this Trailer Brake/Max tow capacity issue up as far as I have read.

I'm questioning Chevrolets Owners Manual recommendations not HHR posters input...

It brings up the question for those who want to tow with their HHR but feel restricted.

I can order an EZ loader boat trailer for a 12/13/14/16 ft. boat with hydr.surge brakes if I want one.

P.S.

Been involved in the Boating Business for over 50 years.

Been there done that.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
Not planning on over 1000 lbs.

Notice I said small classic boat. Gross approx. 900lbs.

Just pointing out the trailering issues posted by many in the past.

Nobody ever brought this Trailer Brake/Max tow capacity issue up as far as I have read.

I'm questioning Chevrolets Owners Manual recommendations not HHR posters input...

It brings up the question for those who want to tow with their HHR but feel restricted.

I can order an EZ loader boat trailer for a 12/13/14/16 ft. boat with hydr.surge brakes if I want one.

P.S.

Been involved in the Boating Business for over 50 years.

Been there done that.
Gross of 900lbs... that's still Class I. You'll be fine :)

When I think of hauling a boat...
Old 08-23-2011, 01:42 PM

Yeah.... Is that an HHR Kenworth I see doin the Pullin ???

Doesn't the guy know he's pulling it backwards ... Geez what you don't see out there.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

And Silverfox, don't forget this......

Maximum trailer weight is calculated assuming only the
driver is in the tow vehicle and it has all the required
trailering equipment. The weight of additional optional
equipment, passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle
must be subtracted from the maximum trailer weight
Old 08-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Deceased

To second Snoopy, even with a trailer of only 900 lbs gross, you will probably be overweight in regards to the specifications issued by Chevrolet. Trailer brakes make no difference in what a vehicle is rated to tow, they just take some of the load off of the tow vehicle's brakes and make the setup easier to handle.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
To second Snoopy, even with a trailer of only 900 lbs gross, you will probably be overweight in regards to the specifications issued by Chevrolet. Trailer brakes make no difference in what a vehicle is rated to tow, they just take some of the load off of the tow vehicle's brakes and make the setup easier to handle.

Yes, You are correct but,

I will still have some options to reduce it by a few pounds if neccessary.

As is now,

Boat 300 lbs.
Trailer 225 lbs.
Motor/fuel 100 lbs.
Misc in boat 50 lbs. max.
Hitch 40 lbs.
Wife and extra stuff in HHR 200 lbs. = 915 lbs. gross.

IMHO, The issue of the brakes is not what they can or cannot do, but how it is worded in the Owners Manual.
Unless I am interperting it wrong, it would indicate that the braking capacity of the HHR is maxed at the 1500 lb. point and needs assistance.

They make no mention of other components being over stretched at 1500lbs. and beyond even though we know that would most likey be the case.
They leave us in the dark right there.
Frankly I do not know why they even mentioned the issue of trailer brakes.
In the state I live "Washington", there are Strict Laws pertaining to trailer brake requirements that dictate when you need them.
It has nothing to do with Car Manufactures warranties or recommendations.

The Curt Mfg. class 1 hitch made for the HHR is rated at 2000 lbs weight carrying, and 200 lbs. tounge weight.
Chevrolet recommends without "trailer brakes" max 1000 lbs.weight carrying.
So whats that about? More confusion/uncertainty.

Bottom line is, I know what I am doing, but for many others that read all this what will they do. It is very confusing the way it is all written in the Owners Manual and leaves many possibilities/questions not adaquately answered.

I wonder how a Judge and Jury would interpet it in an Injury Law Suit.

Last edited by Silverfox; 08-24-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

In some states 1500 lb trailers do require brakes - other states require brakes for 2000 or 3000 lbs. Chevrolet is not going to produce a separate manual for each state So use your own judgement and common sense, and abide by the local laws.

With the forecasted weight of your trailer, you have a non-issue towing it with your car.

The limit for towing is 1000 lbs - with or without trailer brakes.

Quick Reply: Trailer Towing ... A troubling observation