General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Trim levels?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 04:14 PM

Trim levels?

I'm new and haven't found this by looking around or by using the search function, so please excuse me if it's something that's been over discussed, or if this is stuff everybody but me knows. (Or if this is in the wrong place.)

I'm still looking for my first HHR. I am confused by the different models (I'm guessing they're different trim levels?).

What's the difference between LS and LT (and LT1 and LT2)?

I was hoping there'd be a sticky on this for us n00bs....
Old 09-15-2011, 04:24 PM

I say go for the 2lt you get almost everything glad I did.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:05 PM

LS is the base model, LT is upscale and 2LT is the top model (not including SS) The 2LT always has the 2.4L engine and the FE3 or "sport" suspension which includes 17" wheels and gas charged shocks and struts. Also most of the other available options come "standard" with the 2LT but could be "option deleted". While the 2.4L engine can be an option in some of the other models the FE3 suspension is only in the 2LT.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Very Good explanation, Graybeard
Old 09-15-2011, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the information, guys!

Now, another dumb question:

If I see one listed simply as an LT, I guess I should assume it's a 1LT?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:53 PM

Maybe..... maybe not. All the LT's have the same LT logo on the back so a used car lot may just advertise it as "LT" not knowing any difference. You have to look at the options package.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:54 AM

@kayakjax, I have read your post about your question about trim levels on the HHR vehicles. I would have to agree with Greybeard999. The LS is the base model if you are seeking a vehicle that doesn't have all the bells and whistles. As the trim levels go up the more options and features you will have standard or available to you. Are there particular options that you are seeking?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-18-2011, 11:45 AM

I'm getting my wish list narrowed down:

1. Must be a panel.

2.Must have the 2.4. While the SS is certainly cool, I think I want to stay away from a turbocharger and the complexities involved. I'll be 54 next month and have gotten most of my hot rod tendencies out of my system by now. From what I read, the 2.4 will nicely cover my needs.

Here's a question: Is the 2.4 standard on a 2LT and optional on a 1LT? (ie: If it has a 2.2 it's a 1LT, but if it has the 2.4 it may be a 1LT or a 2LT?)

3. I'd like the moonroof, or sunroof, or whatever you call it. I like the feel of openness that a window in the roof gives a vehicle.

I think I'd prefer a manual transmission, but an automatic isn't a deal breaker.

And, yet another dumb question:

I have a 2001 S10 4WD that has 4 wheel disc brakes. The 4 discs (plus the ABS) have prevented some accidents, and I'm a big fan.

(20001 S10, bought new on 11/14/2000. It has 244xxx miles, and has never had as much as a valve cover off the engine. It's mostly a trailer hauler/boat carrier now, but I'll probably keep it forever.)

From what I've seen, only the SS has rear disc brakes.

Was there a rear disc brake option on LT's?

And, if there was not, is it possible to retro-fit rear discs (whether off an SS or aftermarket) onto an LT and still have all the ABS work? (I know I can put the discs on, but am not sure about the existing ABS system working with them.)

Well, that's enough dumb questions as I narrow my search. As I start learning more, I'm sure I'll be asking more.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:39 PM

"Here's a question: Is the 2.4 standard on a 2LT and optional on a 1LT? (ie: If it has a 2.2 it's a 1LT, but if it has the 2.4 it may be a 1LT or a 2LT?)"

Correct. (LS got the 2.2L also.)

Moonroof takes up several inches of headroom.... if you're tall you may want to see if that works for you.

As you have read only the SS had discs in the back...... One could retrofit SS or cobalt parts in, but I don't know about ABS. That would make it more difficult.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:43 PM

I don't know about the disc question (I'm a noobie also), but just have some extra info on the 2LT. I just bought a 2006 2LT last week and the previous owner gave me the window sticker it had on it. The 2LT package includes:

2.4L 4CYL DOHC High Output Gas engine w/VVT & bright chrome exhaust tip
Sport tuned suspension
Bright Chrome appearance package
4-wheel Anti-lock Brake System
17" Painted aluminum wheels
Fog lamps
Pioneer 7 speaker amplified system
Leather wrapped steering wheel
Redundant radio controls on steering wheel
Leather wrapped shift knob
Auto-dim I/S mirror w/compass

The "17-inch high polish forged alloy wheel" was only a $395 option upgrade so I imagine most 2LTs will have them as they really set off the chrome appearance package.

On another note, the "color keyed running boards" were a dealer-installed option on my HHR for $445. I always assumed those were a factory option.

Quick Reply: Trim levels?