General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Trip Coming Up, Increase MPG

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

I guess it is really down to what you are expecting in gas mileage.

I just drove this past weekend, on a 500 mile trip. I used medium grade name brand top tier gasoline (I have the 2.4). I averaged 33.2 mpg. Now understand my car WAS still under 2000 miles and the trip was all freeway with the exception of about 11 miles. Used cruise control all the way. I have no modifications to the engine. I traveled 65-70 mph.

AND, understand this is NOT a case of more is better....I always overinflate my tires by 2 psi (37 instead of 35). When GM gives you a tire pressure requirement, it is to provide the best ride, the best handling and the best mileage. SLIGHTLY overinflating sacrifices ride for mileage (at least that is what I have discovered with radial tires over the past 20 years). Other than being very meticulous about balancing, maintaining pressure, and rotation, that is probably why I get 50K-60K miles from 30k "performance" tires.

Now the last thing......when our government bureacrats and the vehicle manufacturers got together in regard to mileage requirements they agreed upon highway mileage speed of 65 (obviously, you can't have each manufacturer establish their highway mileage at different speeds). And, tests have shown that for ever 5 mph over the 65 limit, you will lose approximately 10% mileage, collectively. For example, the HHR is rated at 30 mpg highway. If you go 70 mph, you will lose approx. 3 mpg, for 27mpg highway. Another 5 mph or at 75 you will lose another 10 %. depending on the vehicle....some vehicles are more aerodynamic, than others. There is also a point when the percentage is synergistic.

Finally, road conditions, weather, load in the vehicle are other considerations that will influence gas mileage.

I wish you luck and "good travels" on your trip to my state (it's hot here).

I will be leaving in 3 weeks for my trip to the east. Most of the driving will be freeways with the exception of motel stops, food, necessaries, which is probably 150 miles total. I programed my GPS mapping for gas stops figuring 28 mpg. This leaves a comfortable margin.

Again, good luck....have a good trip.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by MiDan
I suck at the new math thing.. #2 is B? Right??
No - it's "I" remember, 2 = "I"

"I" is your friend!

Drive in "I."
Old 06-28-2006, 05:48 PM

Actually, cruise control is a quick way to kill your mileage. It will "punch it" as you go up a hill and brake as you go downhill to try and maintain the preset speed. I never use it.

A steady foot will outperform cruise control any day.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:50 PM

all the tips stated so far are great ! when I take long road trips I do some basic things, do an filter & oil change, clean or replace the air filter, maybe a bottle of carb cleaner in the tank, check tires for correct PSI and add a few extra PSI, take what I need (hate unpacking the car when I get home and find 1/2 the stuff I brought I did even use or need). and I always give the car a good wash and wax...seems silly but it does help (well the bugs don't stick as bad)

and my moto don't spend buck to save fifty cents....
Old 06-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Actually, cruise control is a quick way to kill your mileage. It will "punch it" as you go up a hill and brake as you go downhill to try and maintain the preset speed. I never use it.

Problem is nobody has a steady foot. One always wants to keep up with traffic or to gain momentum for the next upgrade. If the HHR had an instant mileage indicator like some other vehicles, you would see that instant mileage goes to 100 mpg, approximately, on a downgrade.

In fact, if I can find it, I'll send you an article that says you are wrong. AAA did cross country tests several years ago and found that you CANNOT best the cruise control (unless of course you are talking about climbing Mt Everest). Since we are, more than likely, talking about Interstates the grades will not excede 6%.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR

Not if you have a manual transmission! I have a 5-speed and use my cruise control when on open highway, and it works better than me trying to get my lead foot to be consistent.

On the manual tranny's on the HHR, heck you could(but not that you should) use the cruise control in town, all it does in the 5-spd is maintain the speed you set, and stays in the gear you have it in. Doesnt upshift, doesnt downshift.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:14 PM

I have found the opposite to be true. I would suggest that you perform back to back tests on the same stretch of highway yourself and log the results. Then you'll see what I'm talking about...cruise control eats more gas.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:31 PM
Banned

Cruise control keeps me from getting speeding tickets! :twothumbs
Old 06-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Deceased

cruise control on hills and mountains will lower your gas mileage for sure
I totally agree w mike on that
Old 06-28-2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Cruise control keeps me from getting speeding tickets! :twothumbs

I agree with this

Quick Reply: Trip Coming Up, Increase MPG