General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Tube in rear batter compartment...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:12 PM

Tube in rear batter compartment...

I was cleaning my HHR today and was cleaning some dirt along the edges of the spare tire area and found a gray tube loose down underneath by the battery compartment. It is gray, and has a 90 degree black elbow on it that looks like it might have broken off of something. Also, I noticed that it has been wet back there, but is not holding water or anything like that. Is this by any chance the tube that leads from the window washer bottle in the front to the lift gate for cleaning the rear window? I noticed a while back that when I try to clean the rear window, it doesn't spray the washer fluid. I just assumed that like my previous cars, there was a separate bottle in the rear that was empty.

If anyone knows what this is, let me know so I can fix it.

Also, I can't find the other end of the hose if it did break off of something. So also, let me know where I can find that if you know. Thanks
Old 07-13-2011, 07:29 PM

How big is the tube.... meaning diameter, how big around?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:13 PM

I have it too, It's supposed to be there, just not sure why.

Me thinks it's the remnants of the umbilical chord that is cut after the HHR is born

I think it's some kind of drain tube for the spare tire/battery compartment.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Founding Member

With the information provided, I would guess battery vent tube.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
With the information provided, I would guess battery vent tube.
That's what I'm thinking too....... unless it's a tiny piece like for windshield washer fluid. (because he mentioned it.)
Old 07-13-2011, 08:36 PM

If it's like my 09 there seams to be an issue with badly made battery vent tubes & when I got the new one under warranty it was a better made pre curved hose & connection to the side of the battery. Although it does sound strange your washer isn't working-maybe the connection wasn't made to the sprayer internally at the top of the hatch and the piece was left in your spare tire area by accident on the assembly line?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:37 PM

There is no second bottle for the rear washer, it comes from the (one) bottle up front. Are you pushing the little button in the center of the rear wiper switch to spray?

The gray tube with the 90 degree fitting is indeed the battery vent tube. If you have the correct battery in the car the 90 degree fitting snaps into the top/side if the battery and the end of the tube goes into a hole in the floor. If it is not in the hole, that may explain moisture in the compartment.

The rear washer tube is black and is routed through the headliner and terminates under the high stop light. There is a control valve mounted under the washer reservoir at the pump to control whether the fluid goes to the front or the rear.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:41 PM

Thank you all for the help. I will check the battery tomorrow to make sure the vent tube is connected. As for the washer fluid problem, it seems to be working now, I think I was just low on fluid that last couple times I tried it. Thanks everyone for the help. This is the first car I have ever had with a battery vent tube.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:45 PM

What year is your HHR?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:47 PM

i suggest u sprinkle some baking soda on the "moisture" near the batt. if it bubbles and foams that moisture is battery acid. continue to neutrize the acid with baking soda. then clean up the mess and spray the area with some type of lubricant.

Quick Reply: Tube in rear batter compartment...