General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Tube in rear batter compartment...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
What year is your HHR?
Just looked at your profile-figures an 09. Def the bat tube. Look to see if it's missing or busted. Go to the dealer under warranty but don't waste your time leaving the car for what is a 2 minute job-could take a week or two for them to get it in stock. Have them call you when it's in-then go.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:11 PM

good advice. Never really thought about it. It looks dry back there now, I just could tell that it had been wet because there was some paper back there that was still a little damp.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by stanvalp
i suggest u sprinkle some baking soda on the "moisture" near the batt. if it bubbles and foams that moisture is battery acid. continue to neutrize the acid with baking soda. then clean up the mess and spray the area with some type of lubricant.
X 2, The Battery vent connects to battery back under the floor, look under you will see the nipple off the drivers side of battery..

Vent is grey tube on mine. This needs to be connected & thru to outside for safety..
Old 07-14-2011, 02:51 AM

The whole reasoning for the vent tube on the battery is to allow Hydrogen and other gases that it releases, to vent to the outside atmosphere safely. There have been instances where the gases have ignited above batteries that were old.

My old auto shop teacher actually had that happen to him in the middle of class. He was testing a spark plug wire by grounding it on the frame near the batter. All of a sudden a flash occurred over the battery...

So definitely vent your battery!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 10:25 AM

You should reconnect that vent tube, but here is the reality. OSHA requires that the battery be vented outside, since it shares passenger air space in the interior of the car. The new maintenaince free batteries vent very little, if at all, certainly a very small percentage of what non-maintenaince free batteries vent. Having said that, its still wise to make sure that vent is connected, we are talking safety here, regardless of how small an amount of gasses are actually vented. If you are old enough to remember, the old VW bugs of years ago, had their batteries under the back seat, with no outside vent. Everyone managed to survive, but again regardless, make sure your HHR battery is vented outside.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:23 PM

I have a 09 Had the battery replaced by the dealer when under warranty, I just looked and found the grey tube with the nipple just hanging. Can not see anywhere on battery where it could be connected . I thnk the dealer just put in a regular one and left the grey hose to dangle The nipple is just hanging on by a thread. What do you all think?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 PM

There is a whole thread on the battery in back, I wrote a lot about this, the battery vents when it is about 80per cent recharged. the oncharge voltage is 2.36 VPC [volts per cell ] the water H2O the hydrogen of 4 per cent per cubic volume is EXPLOSIVE it is lighter thanair and will seek the hightest point to vent.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:10 PM

" I thnk the dealer just put in a regular one and left the grey hose to dangle "

Possible..... I'd call them on it if they did. Get the right battery in there.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM

I checked the Battery AC Delco 90-6yr but hose is cracked and I don't see any hole or place to push vent tube. They sell the vent tube on Amazon part # 15247277 vent tube but wher does it plug into.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by jbman
I have a 09 Had the battery replaced by the dealer when under warranty, I just looked and found the grey tube with the nipple just hanging. Can not see anywhere on battery where it could be connected . I thnk the dealer just put in a regular one and left the grey hose to dangle The nipple is just hanging on by a thread. What do you all think?
Vent tube was prob busted off the nipple on the top left battery cap. Pull the piece of broken nipple out of the hole in the cap and go to the dealer and have them order a new hose. The new hose is a longer more contoured desing and come with the new nipple on the end. (use a paper clip with a small bent hook end, put it in the hole, pull upwards and out)

Quick Reply: Tube in rear batter compartment...