General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Turbo Components for the HHR SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:43 AM

Turbo Components for the HHR SS

I did some more research. If the HHR SS is going to use the same engine as the Pontanic Solstice & Saturn Sky.. ---- Both of those vehicles are Rear wheel drive... Will the HHR SS be a rear wheel drive vehicle also ???

Heres some information abou the turbo, engine.. enjoy..

Looking more closely at the Borg-Warner dual-scroll turbo, we see where it gets its name: two separate exhaust passages leading from the exhaust manifold to the turbine inlet. "Combined with the VVT on both the intake and exhaust, this is a key element in getting good low-end torque and power at the same time," says GM's Ed Groff. "Typically, if you put a turbocharger on that's large enough to get the power that you want, you would suffer at the bottom end. We have a variety of technologies--the SIDI, the cam phasers, and the dual scroll--that all help the bottom end," says Groff. Thanks to the engineers' efforts, turbo lag is allegedly cut to imperceptible levels, furthered by a lightweight turbine design.

Visible is the turbo's exhaust routing. Hidden are the chain-driven camshafts that actuate the engine's 16 valves and also drive a mechanical fuel pump--which, in conjunction with a tank-mounted electric pump, helps achieve the stratospheric fuel pressures needed for SIDI.

A front-mounted, single-pass air-to-air intercooler drops charge temps by a claimed 212 degrees F. Ed Groff explains, "It's an internally finned, high-efficiency design. The platform did a very nice job of meeting the needs passed down by GM Powertrain, and it effectively cools the charge at the flow rates we are dealing with." Assuming this illustration shows the correct routing of the intercooler ducting, we can see that designers did a very good job of keeping it fairly straight and well-routed.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:46 AM

Old 08-03-2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by hvrod
Will the HHR SS be a rear wheel drive vehicle also ???
No.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:46 AM

good info!
Old 08-03-2007, 12:48 PM

I figured the HHR SS will still be a FWD. However, it will be up to the Chevy engineers to reduce torque steer, and that will be tricky. 260HP to the front wheels will be a lot to handle for this little vehicle.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:10 PM

Here's a bit of info I picked up from wikipedia...

Torque steer is the influence of the engine torque on the steering for some front-wheel drive vehicles. For example, during full acceleration the steering may pull to one side, which may be disturbing to the driver. This either causes a tugging sensation in the steering wheel, or else the car veers from the intended path. As the torque steer effect is directly related to the engine torque capabilities, this problem becomes more and more evident with high output engines with strong low rpm range torque.

So to me, it will be interesting to read HHR SS "first test" articles in the car mags to see how well Chevy resolves this.

Thanks hvrod for posting the pics and info on this...
Old 08-03-2007, 06:17 PM

I love this new info..
I have no noticeable Torque Steer on my (TURBO) van, which is front drive...
It has equal length shafts to prevent/override the difference from the off center location of the transaxle.
I don`t anticipate any problems by the time the S/S production starts.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:34 PM

There are tings in place on the LSJ equipped Cobalts and Saturns that alleviate the torque steer normally associated with a high torque FWD car. There should be VERY little to NO torque steer if these same items are used. When I drove my friend's Saturn RL it had NO torque steer at all and it had the GM stage 2 setup (246horses instead of the usual 205).

Especially since the average HHR owner is over 30 and most don't know how to drive these types of vehicles with power and torque steer. I do not forsee GM ignoring this. After all, most of my friends kidd that when I bought my HHR it should have come with a walker in the hatch and a Medicare application. (most owners we see are grey haired and "on their way out" so to speak) :twothumbs
Old 08-03-2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by en0oNmAI
... When I drove my friend's Saturn RL it had NO torque steer at all...
ummmm... the Saturn Red Line is a RWD vehicle...
Old 08-03-2007, 06:48 PM

Just a touch more information on the Turbo in the HHR...

...it's the Borg Warner K04.

Quick Reply: Turbo Components for the HHR SS