General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Turbo Components for the HHR SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 01:30 PM

I`m liking the idea that some folks are scared of the 'Powerful S/S', less chance of an overcrowded category.
I`ve also found that imagined power is usually just that, without a dyno print-out, as far as I`m concerned, you still only have stock out put creds.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:59 PM

I've driven a Cobalt SS SC, and it had significantly more torque steer than my Dodge SRT-4 had. It's nothing to get your panties in a bunch about, just takes a little bit to learn how it feels, especially on the autocross course.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:28 PM

im with longhorn on that. if you learn how to drive it then why should it matter, just as long as you know how to drive the car you want. every car is going to have its quirks.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by tsaints1115
..... And for those who think us old fuddy duddys have no experience with torque steer or high horsepower FWD cars, we were driving 455 big block Olds Toronados when the majority of you "experienced" tuner boys were being created in the back seat of one.
RIGHT ON
Now a bunch of them are doing a Google search for Olds Toronados

The HHR has no torque steer if the front end geometry is correct with stock tires and wheels. The service manual says so. There is a test proceedure in the manual.

Many problems are created by "experienced" tuner boys !
Old 08-04-2007, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by tsaints1115
It`s an easy thing to resolve. Don`t stab the throttle especially in corners or in the wet. It`s the sudden torque change not the overall torque available that cause a problem for some. And for those who think us old fuddy duddys have no experience with torque steer or high horsepower FWD cars, we were driving 455 big block Olds Toronados when the majority of you "experienced" tuner boys were being created in the back seat of one.
You nailed it in that sentence at the end!

My first car was an olds 98 with a 455. My friend went the Toranado route with the same big block. around 400 horses stock in his FWD boat. In his car we drove sideways in controlled comfort. I had do something fun too, so went Corvair with the built in oversteer. We would both go around exit ramps sideways Lots of fun in the old cars. I think these newer cars are perhaps a bit to refined and never allow their owners to break a sweat.

Later I got an '89 SHO V6 220HP (the highest output/liter engine you could buy at the time). It had some torque steer but I thought they torque steer was being ADDRESSED by having different length /size/girth drive shafts?
Old 08-05-2007, 08:04 AM

It will all work out in the end.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:32 PM

sorry to resurrect... but it will have torque steer, and unless chevy is willing to throw in a decent amount of money you'll have to buy a limited-slip differential to curb it (like i said, unless it comes with it - i doubt it).

just because the hhr is heavier doesn't mean it will get rid of the t.s. problem... it really won't effect it because you have to get that butt moving in the first place.

also i'd be surprised if a fmic would be as efficent as they say - most ic's from factory leave something to be desired. and we'll see what they do with the manifolds...