General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

to undercoat or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 09:17 PM
acm

to undercoat or not?

is it worth it? pros vs. cons?
im pondering investing in it to protect my fancy new wheels from the harsh winters.

discuss.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:27 PM

Definitely

Originally Posted by acm
is it worth it? pros vs. cons?
im pondering investing in it to protect my fancy new wheels from the harsh winters.

discuss.
I had mine undercoated AND rust proofed before picking it up. The undercoating not only protects the underside (even though a lot of the lower stuff on the body is plastic. it also adds sound deadening to the car. Mine is SOOO quiet! The rust proofing is something we have always done to our vehicles as well (they drill holes in the door panels etc, and inject rust inhibitor inside. I have had some vehicles as long as 20 years and NEVER had a speck of rust on any of them. Up here they use salt on the roads in the winter time too! Our Jag has rust proofing and undercoating and although it is 10 years old, every one thinks it's only a couple of years old as there is no damage from winter on it anywhere. Anyway, check out my links below for some pics if you want.

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:52 PM
acm

thanks for the info man! the pics are very impressive. i like the point about the sound deadening.
the only aspect of the issue that keeps coming up is the point that with the quality of steel they use in cars these days, its really not worth undercoating and rustproofing since it will hold up just fine anyways.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:06 PM

Dunno about that when you look around the streets there are a lot of not very old cars that are looking rough in my opinion. Don't forget that a lot of the metal is reconstituted and it's the luck of the draw sometimes whether there are any flaws still in the metal too!
Old 09-14-2006, 10:13 PM

My boyfriend details cars for a living and has done undercoating for new car dealers. He said that in his opinion it's not worth the money because the cars are made so well nowadays that it really isn't necessary. Just another way for the dealer to get more money out of the buyer.

Please don't kill the messenger...just telling you what he said.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:26 PM

I would consider it! I had some rust proofing stuff sprayed on my HHR when I bought it. If you're in Canada you know how the winters get and how they dump salt and gravel on the roads. Anything you can do to help protect the vehicle would be a good idea, especially if you plan on keeping it for a while.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:24 AM

Not to mention that the rust proofing comes with a warranty. Extended life. You sure can`t stop rust once it starts. Just a little more ammo...
Old 09-15-2006, 07:28 AM
Deceased

Not
Old 09-15-2006, 04:47 PM

easy to figure out...how long you going to keep it?

To rustproof or undercoat? Well first ask yourself, how long am I going to keep the car. I generally trade every 3 to 4 years..so rustprf/undercoat would be just a waste of money. GM warranty covers no rust through for 5 years. Yes that is rust through..but I did once have (back in the late 80's) a chevy which start to bubble some rust on one of the fenders into it's 3 year..was not through. Dealer/gm fixed it free. I live in upstate New York where the salt falls in the winter more than the snow :), and I don't bother with rustproof..in my humble opinion..it is a waste (unless you plan to keep car 8, 9, 10 years).
Old 09-15-2006, 07:33 PM

I am in Newfoundland and I decided to rustproof but i did not buy the undercoating offered by the dealer. For me it was a choice between Rust Check or Krown. I went with Krown to give it a try since that is what we use on our vehicle fleet at work and those vehicles hold up really well.

I plan on keeping the HHR for awhile plus I actually park in my garage all year round which can create condensation in places so the $120 bucks a year is worth it to me. Plus dealer through in first application of my choice.

Quick Reply: to undercoat or not?