General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Update on possible carbon monoxide poison problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dentdude13
There is NO exhaust leak in the exhaust system . And what does an exhaust hose out the door have to do with it. They found the exhaust circles around the back of the car and comes in any hole it can get in . I think you should be asking who the hell the tech support from GM was.
You raise a point..about the GM Tech, and I do question who THE TECH. really is. But, a bigger question is what kind of dealer needs to go to the FIRE DEPARTMENT to "sniff" CO. ALL dealers have CO meters.....

Also are you saying....your vehicle WHILE NOT IN MOTION, sucks in the CO from the exiting end (from the rear bumper) tail pipe? I really find that hard to believe.
But, that is the basis for my "hose out the door" comment. IF you are experiencing a vacumn and sucking the exhaust fume back, the hose would tell the tale. BUT if you still experience CO and the hose is doing it's intended job, then you have an exhaust leak.

You still haven't named the GM Dealer you are doing business with !!!

Dirtsurfer....you are correct....to a point. But, MANY YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WITH PROPERLY EQUIPED AND GOVERNMENT REGULATED GM GARAGES, PROVES THIS TO BE FACT. Many vehicles were tested on dynos for 8 hours at a time with NO PROBLEMS. And as expressed earlier, the only time a problem existed was when a vehicle had an exhaust leak....which was corrected very quickly.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:13 PM

It seems to me as a isolated problem, and this individual was sharing information, and how it was solved.

I did read they have a good relationship with the service person,

Why the need to know the dealership and even us as a forum contacting them?

Just wondering?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Markiemark
It seems to me as a isolated problem, and this individual was sharing information, and how it was solved.

I did read they have a good relationship with the service person,

Why the need to know the dealership and even us as a forum contacting them?

Just wondering?
because some people here are such fanatics (read lunatics) about the HHR. sorry to say but I have the same issue goin on with my car. it has no aftermarket exhaust
Old 12-14-2007, 03:27 PM

No it only does this when your driving. the 2' extention was to get the exhaust away from the back of the car.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:37 PM

Yes I agree with you,The dealer ship did the best they could for a temp fix after talking to the manager they are wiating for GM to come up with a more parmanent fix. This is an unusual case, Things will work out and think that the dealer ship did what they could with out making a big mess.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:40 PM

Snoopy is right about the hose on the exhuast. It is required by many states for repair shops and others in the auto business. Some even have a powered evac systems hooked up to them to make sure the exhaust is removed from the shop. I had to have one on my garage door at my condo based on the current city code. It's a simple gravity vent, but was required when I put on a new door last month.

On issue of leaks into your car. A missaligned rear hatch or the weatherstrip/ door gasket leaking can allow exhaust into your vehicle while in motion. If it is coming in from under the car, there is an exhaust leak. Any emmissions tester will pick up a leak based on tail pipe readings. A exhaust leak will suck in air as the car is running deluting the reading at the back of the car.

Driving behind a poor running car with the HVAC system in your car NOT closed will also cause the fumes in your car. Flow through ventalation is wonderful and federally mandated, but has it's faults. That is NOT a defect.

As far as lemon law, check with your local BBB office for the requirements in your state as well as the limits and your responsability. Even if you could get your HHR bought back, you will most likely be charged for the miles you drove before the repair. You may also have to prove that your car had the problem before the non-stock exhaust was installed.

As far as a recall, one or two cases will not cause a recall. Check with the NHTSA for other cases filed regarding this matter. They will also have info on investigations on this. You can also file your complaint with them.

You will also need to file a complaint with GM's customer relations department.

Before the emotion of the issue takes over, do your homework about your real rights in this. You're getting emotion here from some rather then facts.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 PM

Every car ever built has exhaust wrapping around the back of the car/truck/suv
Old 12-14-2007, 11:37 PM

Hello dentdude.
You said you put a aftermarket exhaust system on right after you bought it. A catback system.

I've put 20" wheels , catback performance exhaust,etc, etc. From the time that I bought the car I have smelled exhaust fumes off and on and mostly when I pass some one.
Can you put the GM designed exhaust system back on to see the the problem continues?
Has the dealership noticed the new system is not stock? Just wondering.

Craig~
Old 12-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Banned

If you really want to get the problem fixed, take it to a dealership where the "techs" didn't go to the MacGuyver School of Auto Repair. Using expandable foam is acceptable if you're not going overboard like these guys did, duct tape is not at all. Duct tape will erode over time and is not a permanent nor manufacturer-approved solution to any kind of leak. I have personally had excellent luck with Superior Chevrolet's service department in Shawnee, KS and I would suggest taking your vehicle to them for further analysis.

The inside of the vehicle is designed to have positive pressure to ensure that exhaust fumes cannot enter while the windows are closed. If you are experiencing a dangerous level of COx, it's more likely that either the tailgate is misaligned, the aftermarket exhaust is placing the COx in an area where it can flow back into the vehicle, or even all of the "fixes" the dealership has attempted are causing more problems, such as the 2-inch extension of the tailpipe.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:37 AM
Founding Member

I tend to agree that the problem may lie with the aftermarket exhaust. I don't know of any automobiles that are completely sealed. There are drain holes in almost every body panel plus the HHR has a pressure relief valve located in the right rear quarter which allows air out but not in. It looks like a simple vent and can only be seen by removing the rear bumper fascia (cover). Air must be allowed to flow out of the vehicle or there would be other problems created by the pressure build up. I hope they did not seal the area where the valve is located!! The attempted repair was at the very least crazy and I don't know how this car will ever function as designed again. It is time to start talking to the dealership General Manager or the Owner. I drive HHRs frequently, 06's-08's and have never smelled exhaust coming into the cabin except from other vehicles when the HVAC is on outside air. Changing the mode to recirculate always remedies the smell.

Quick Reply: Update on possible carbon monoxide poison problem