General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

US cars are getting better

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by hillbillypimpin
But they need better quality control and assembly practices to keep up with Toyota and Honda....
Funny how rare you hear of the over 990,000 recalls Toyota had last year alone. Or the fact that the Camery has so many issues. Or the new Tundra and broken camshaft and timing belts. Not to mention the tailgates folding under or the frames twisting so bad.

And I love the Ridgeline and the bed/body issues if you take it off road. They did do a nice job of keeping the fires with the CRV's under control also.

I'll take a GM any day.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
Funny how rare you hear of the over 990,000 recalls Toyota had last year alone. Or the fact that the Camery has so many issues. Or the new Tundra and broken camshaft and timing belts. Not to mention the tailgates folding under or the frames twisting so bad.

And I love the Ridgeline and the bed/body issues if you take it off road. They did do a nice job of keeping the fires with the CRV's under control also.

I'll take a GM any day.
The big difference with Toyota's recalls is they are voluntary (their decision) not forced by the NTSB...The broken crankshaft has been a non issue..Haven't seen one..I think less than 5 reported..The Detroit News does a good job as getting you to buy propaganda though, obviously...I can tell you ALL the new Tundras have had fewer problems than my dad's 05 silverado with 50k miles..In over 20 times..He's hard headed too though, guess being a GM engineer will do that..I am not saying they don't have issues..but they actually have a nameplate that seems to mean something to them, and the domestic people know that which is why it gets reported..I know GM had a BIG problem in 99' with frames tweaking on the delivery trucks..Betcha didn't hear about it either....Funny how that works....

Just do yourself a favor and google TSBs available for each competing model, and see how many more GM will have...Like I said, I like GM, but after being a Toyota tech they have A LONG way to go..Not what you want to hear obviously, but its the truth..And sad to say, the mentality you have is what got GM and the domestics in this mess in the first place...
Old 11-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Banned

Like I said, I like GM, but after being a Toyota tech they have A LONG way to go..Not what you want to hear obviously, but its the truth..And sad to say, the mentality you have is what got GM and the domestics in this mess in the first place...
Keep drinkin' that Kool-Aid...

My Dad was an engineer at GM for 40 and just retired a couple months ago, too. Toyota buyers certainly aren't going to help his retirement fund, and they aren't going to help your Dad's either. Hope you have some money saved up for assisted living in a few years!
Old 11-26-2007, 12:31 PM

I'm a GM guy and have owned 7 GM vehicles since I got my DL in 1990. In the 17 1/2 years I been driving I haven't had a major issue with any of the GM vehicles I've owned. I've had my share of minor issue like window motors and various switches and the like but I have never be stranded or broke down on the side of the road.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Keep drinkin' that Kool-Aid...

My Dad was an engineer at GM for 40 and just retired a couple months ago, too. Toyota buyers certainly aren't going to help his retirement fund, and they aren't going to help your Dad's either. Hope you have some money saved up for assisted living in a few years!
I'm not disagreeing with you. Just pointing out the facts. Look at consumer reports..JW power is a joke, that's "initial quality" after 60 days...Long term C.R is one of the best...Japanese cars that are 5 years old on average have the same amount of problems as brand new domestics....But like I said, I'm not arguing with you what is good and what isn't in terms of economics. Just simply which I have seen to be a better overall line..That being said, I am pumped about getting my HHR Tomorrow!
Old 11-26-2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by iwannaHHR
I'm a GM guy and have owned 7 GM vehicles since I got my DL in 1990. In the 17 1/2 years I been driving I haven't had a major issue with any of the GM vehicles I've owned. I've had my share of minor issue like window motors and various switches and the like but I have never be stranded or broke down on the side of the road.
That's pretty low standards in this day in age, sorry to say...Most Toyota customers I have would be livid if they had to come in at all..They have built up a legendary reputation and can only go down...The *minor* stuff to us is major to somebody who knows nothing about cars....
Old 11-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

That's pretty low standards in this day in age, sorry to say...Most Toyota customers I have would be livid if they had to come in at all..They have built up a legendary reputation and can only go down...The *minor* stuff to us is major to somebody who knows nothing about cars....

That is an interesting point. And, I remember GM management commenting on this.

In actuality, if the HHR was manufactured by Toyota and the Toyota customer had to return for "issues" as experienced by the HHR, those customers themselves would consider it not exceptable/reliable.

The problems encountered with the HHR, limited as they are, are just not expected by a Toyota owner. WE (I'm one) as American Car owners/supporters have a lower standard, that has been bred into us through the years of ownership.

But honestly, hillbillypimpin, the big reason your fathers purchase of a GM product is because of the employee discount. He's to cheap to pay the additional cost of the Toyota. Many of US are like that.

But to the article........

It says "....getting better...", doesn't say the best, but closer.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
But honestly, hillbillypimpin, the big reason your fathers purchase of a GM product is because of the employee discount. He's to cheap to pay the additional cost of the Toyota. Many of US are like that. .
That and after being with GM 42 years, going to GM's school GMI (now kettering) he rightfully has some loyalty. I still do too...but I am not afraid to admit to seeing a better product when it's in front of me. 75% of the work we get, from customers who think they are buying perfection, is maintenance. Compare that alone with a GM dealer...All warranty..And more dealers too....One thing the domestics do have and always will is that Americans want them to succeed...On top of that, they tend to be on the latest styling trends a little sooner....So they will do alright..Just the 80/20 rule, and they have a little bit further to go....They'll make it though..I will be the first to admit as Toyota has gotten bigger, even the past 4 years, their quality has gone down....
Old 11-26-2007, 01:47 PM

Maybe, but it's not like I'm working on it every weekend either. Somthing goes out I pop into an auto parts store and grab said item take it home and a few minutes later it's good as new.

The way I look at it if I bought a Toyota I'd still be changing the oil and replacing the brakes, belts and hoses so if I have to open the hood a couple more times a year for some minor repair who cares. If that's the price I have to pay for supporting an American company that's fine with me.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:46 PM

Just do yourself a favor and google TSBs available for each competing model, and see how many more GM will have...Like I said, I like GM, but after being a Toyota tech they have A LONG way to go..Not what you want to hear obviously, but its the truth..And sad to say, the mentality you have is what got GM and the domestics in this mess in the first place...
Don't need to google TSB's. I deal in fleet vehicles. 5000+ im my state alone. Not to mention across the country and overseas. I see TSB's/recalls daily. Including Toyota. Hard to belive you have not seen any broken camshafts..... But you didn't mention how many bent tailgates have passed through?

Yea, 1999, GM has some issues with the FSC's, what about the Tundra/T100 of that day? Sorry your dad had so many issues with his truck, my 1996 was a great truck. First major issue happened after 9 years and about 125K, had to replace the intake manifold gaskets. Other than that, just normal replacement items. My HHR has hd no problems either. I did had a noisy A/C line that was replaced with no hassle. Guess that means it's just "not of standards".

You can hype Toyota all you like. Personally I will never own one. They do things I still don't understand how they do it. Like the "dead" zone in Canage where they make the Pirus battery's. Great idea that made. You don't like GM's, well feel free to go troll to a Toyota site. This is a site for GM fans.

Quick Reply: US cars are getting better