General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 05:20 PM

Lift gate louvers

Originally Posted by bowtieboy68
diggin' the louvers..........fill in the lift gate panel and louver that as well!
When I was welding up the rear wiper and rear washer holes I looked at the possibility of doing a row or two of louvers on either side of the license plate. The deeper I got into it the more work it became. You would litteraly have to cut the rear door into two pieces the get into the louver press. It would be cool ( you can't have too many louvers) but it was just too much work right now. It's not like I don't have anything to do. Maybe when it's running an I get bored.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Administrator

very cool touch , diggin' those louvers!!
Old 06-12-2014, 03:10 PM

V-8 HHR build

Originally Posted by Oldblue
very cool touch , diggin' those louvers!!
You are bad to the bone sir! Can't wait to see it run!!
Old 06-12-2014, 08:36 PM

How about trying the small manual tool. I think they cut one at a time. I see them on Ebay every now and then.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:31 PM

What was that about measure twice?

Well I spent half of a day making the rear trans mount. It fit fine.....only problem is the rear of the trans is about 3/4" too low. Oh well at least I had a pattern for the second one. It's in now and now I can get back on my sheet metal work on the interior. Still lots to do on that.

Here is a pic of the 2 trans mounts. I installed the front one.
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Administrator

busy boy!! keep at this ride!!
Old 06-22-2014, 01:03 PM

Change of plans

I was all excited about getting back on the interior sheet metal work but the more I look at things I need to finish up some other items first. I don't want the sheet metal work to be modified further down the line because something hits it like the torque arm or the B&M shifter. For that reason I am going to complete the drive shaft, torque arm and shifter linkage first. Here is a picture of the trans and how much more I need to cut out of the floor for things to clear each other.
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Administrator

did you get my PM ??
Old 06-28-2014, 04:45 PM

Wheel polishing shield

I'm waiting on parts so I thought I would polish the widened rear wheels. The Moon Speedmasters started out as 7" wide before they were widened to 8 3/4". The machine marks in the Dodge "outers" that were added to make the wheels the new width did not match the stock 7" Speedmasters on the front. The problem is I didn't want to remove the sand casting marks on the wheel centers. To solve this I took a scrap of 20ga. sheet, cut into a pie shape and with a shrinker and a bead roller I turned down the round side. It's got just enough "it doesn't fit" that it will hold itself into the recess of the wheel. This gives me a metal protective edge to keep the sandpaper, scotchbrite wheel and buffing wheels away from the wheel center. Here is a picture of the shield in place while I hand sand it with 120 grit. I'll post pics when I'm done.
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2014, 09:10 PM

Before and After

Here is what the wheels looked like when I started. they polished up pretty well. I may take a very fine scotchbrite and put some very fine lines in them to knock down some of the shine. What do you think....polished to a brilliant shine or muted slightly with some very fine scratches?
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build