General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 03:05 PM

Looking at the engine this HHR is going to front-end heavy. LOL.

Boydie
Old 02-10-2015, 05:40 PM

Awesome! Do you have armed guards protecting that thing until it is bolted into the engine bay?
Old 02-11-2015, 05:37 PM

MAN that is pretty that engine sure looks sweeeeeet!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2015, 11:07 PM

Went by my engine builder's shop tonight. I delivered all the items that he asked me to get. I am amazed at the care he is taking building this engine. It's not enough to have the very best parts available, everything is hand assembled, measured 3 times and lapped to fit. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, he has built the engines on several world record holder drag boats. He is super particular on the valve train. It's been in and out several times. He is machining .0015" off the rocker arm mounts to get the rollers exactly in the correct location. I had to see what the rockers looked like so I just set them in without bolts and took this picture. Soon it will be ready to install. We are shooting for next Thursday.
Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2015, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Ready to rock!
Old 02-14-2015, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member

lasater. Thought you might get a kick out of the video below.

Miniature W-32 engine is mind blowing | Fox News
Old 02-14-2015, 08:42 PM

Been following this build since the beginning. What craftsmanship and detail. I haven't posted 'til now because I'm in awe over your work. I thought putting a 350 in my '83 S-10 20+ years ago was something.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:49 PM

Thanks for all of the compliments guys. I really appreciate them. I do have a few things going in my favor. 1. I'm 66 years old and I've been hot rodding for 50 years. 2. In the last 50 years I have been lucky enough to run around with a very talented crowd, consisting of what I consider the cream of the crop in fabricating, body work, painting, upholstery, engine building, auto electrical and general thinking out of the box hot rodders. And best of all.... everyone is always willing to share and teach their skills. So, as much as I would like to tell you that it's me, it's ALL ME, building this car, it's not. Even as I work on it it's the knowledge I have learned from others that make it possible.

Oh yeah, there is one other thing. Now that I am a geezer, I have learned patience. Something that I was lacking in my youth. Now I can work on something until it is correct. Hopefully when this build is completed I will have a dependable, scary fast V8 powered HHR Panel that goes straight , stops well, and surprises everyone that pulls up next to it.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Very cool!! We're not worthy!!
Old 02-18-2015, 04:57 PM

Engine & Body in Same Room Again

For the first time in many weeks the engine is alongside the body again. We were shooting for installation tomorrow but it will be next Wednesday the 25th. Too many loose ends to deal with. We're not in a hurry and it is sooooo much easier to work on it while it is on the stand. It's going to be filled with oil and Lucas break-in oil and then we crank it to check for oil pressure. The engine wiring harness will be installed and hooked up to a Sun diagnostic machine (without the ECM) and checked before it goes in the car.

Speaking of wiring harnesses, the OEM split plastic wire housing is getting removed and replaced with a tight mesh tubing that is sort of like those Chineese finger things. Should look much cleaner. As you know, this car will be put under a microscope everywhere it goes and I don't want to hear "you should have done this or that"
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build